Rivals

I have seen this topic on the DCI forum, but not on the DCA forum. I assume there are rivalries in DCA with so many groups in close proximity to each other (past or present). Groups like the Rochester Crusaders and Empire Statesmen, Corpsvets and Alliance, Bushwackers and Caballeros, or even MBI and Buccaneers might be rivals.

To take the topic even further, does anyone know of any head to head back and forths (competitively) that have happened in the past that made their rivalry stronger? Does anyone have any interesting stories to share? Who do you think has the biggest rivalry going on right now, and who has had the biggest in the history of DCA?

Does anyone have any interesting stories to share?

Yes.... but since this is a family site, I can't share them. :lol:

Hurcs Cabs as of late

Northeast based Carolina Gold VS DCAS :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

mid 70's Cru and Phoenix was "interesting" to say the least...

Cru and Empire never deteriorated to that level... Mr. B wouldn't allow it and for the years that Cru was in the top 5 with them, their director (ahem.....) made sure that the relationahip was a positive one... since I know that director intimately (ahem....), I can unequivocably state that his experience during the Phoenix rivalry made him determined that nothing like that would ever happen again in any corps he was involved in... drum corps must be fun to survive and when a rivalry deterioates to "hate" someone is doomed... people like Cos and Lefty were smart enough to know that and always kept things pretty much under control.

people like Cos and Lefty were smart enough to know that and always kept things pretty much under control.

I can certainly vouch for that. BITD Cos & Lefty made sure to keep the rivalry between Sky & Cabs perculating. There were times after rehearsals that Lefty would use the term,"Those MFin' spicks from across the river". We'd laugh. On the field of competition we were always at each others throats but off the field their were any number of friendships amongst the members of both Corps that had been formed in childhood when they may have marched in Junior Corps together. There was one time that I remember after the 1967 Scranton show at the Jessup American Legion Post (Doc Sabastianelli's home post) when Lefty and Cos had faced off on the front lawn of the post. There was a rather large group of the Cabs standing behind Cos and a similar group of Skyliners standing behind Lefty as well. I was standing right next to Lefty on his right. Cos made some type of comment (I don't remember what the comment was). I distinctly heard Lefty respond to Cos (and this is verbatim) "I don't talk to punks - punk." I thought to myself, "OH ####, Here we go." Well, nothing happened, thank God. It would have been a Donnybrook for sure. It wasn't until many years later at Cabs Grande Prix show in Clifton (some time in the mid 90s) where I had accompanied Wink while he was confined to a wheelchair down on the field when I was speaking with Cos during the show and Louise came up and joined us. After Cos left Louise told me that in reality Lefty and Cos were the best of friends. Wink looked up at me and nodded his head in agreement with Louise. But ya know, for some reason I still can't find it within myself to ever think of marching with the Cabs Alumni Corps and I have been asked on any number of occasions to do so. And I'm on a very friendly basis with almost half their Corps. Right now I consider the Duke & Duchess of Terreri to be my best Drum Corps friends and they have always opened their home to me whenever I'm out east in the Philly area. I guess the reason why I can't find it in myself to ever march with them is because I'm a REAL ---- OLD Skyliner, and my former best friend and Drum Corps mentor Gus Wilke would turn in his grave if I ever were to wear a sombrero and kick plaits.

Edited by NYSkyliner

Didn't Archer Epler Muskteers and Reilly Raiders have the "crying towel" back in the 50s/60s? Which ever corps came in behind the other got the towel until the next time. Think a little ceremony was held each time the towel changed hands or sumthin' (where's Cossetti?).

For you younger folks, Archie and Reilly were two Philly based Sr corps and title contenders for many years.

PS to Mike: My mom thought it was funny as Hades when I joined Hanover. Best line was "Didn't you sing songs about them?" The answer is yes, but I couldn't repeat them.:whistle:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

cru had a rivalry with birgs in the 50's and 60's. but it wan't nasty. cru had one with sky in 72 that lasted for a while.......that got nasty.