Rivals

In reality, the only "rival" worth mentioning. The others pale in comparison.

Most folks nowadays have no idea, I've heard the story from both sides.

'While I agree with the concept of your statement, I take offense to the words: "more in Shape" and "better talent". That implies that some stellar talent from DCA'S past should be ignored and their contributions be dismissed as irrelavent.Of course I am positive this is not what you imply, but read what you wrote and consider clarifying your message. I won't do it for you, as that would be rude.

I don't think there is much to clarify, but let me try. Generally, younger people are in better shape and have better endurance because of their metabalism and freedom to do more than work for 8+ hours a day. I am not saying that every young person is more in-shape than older people, but the general trend is this. With that being said, when I referred to better talent, I did not make that statement exclusive to younger marchers. I still stand by that statement. DCA had talent before corps started making these policies... perhaps I should have said, "more, good talent... less bad." Regardless, the performance quality is still much better than in years past.

I don't think there is much to clarify, but let me try. Generally, younger people are in better shape and have better endurance because of their metabalism and freedom to do more than work for 8+ hours a day. I am not saying that every young person is more in-shape than older people, but the general trend is this. With that being said, when I referred to better talent, I did not make that statement exclusive to younger marchers. I still stand by that statement. DCA had talent before corps started making these policies... perhaps I should have said, "more, good talent... less bad." Regardless, the performance quality is still much better than in years past.

Then you do in fact, recognize that DCA had plenty of talent BEFORE the changes in DCA's "culture" occured? after all, such "talent" is indeed a matter of record. I agree that the performance of current editions of DCA corps have become much more physically DEMANDING. Please listen to a recording of the 1979 Reading Buccaneers and then tell me that hornline is somehow LESS talented and from an "ensemble" standpoint, LESS demanding than current hornlines. That 1979 Hornline was years AHEAD of it's time by any judging criteria you choose to apply. I am all for DCA becoming "younger". After all, somebody has to "carry on" when MY generation retires from the activity. I can do without the "less bad" portion of your revised statement.

But how many people came into corps knowing how to read music? Now you have to. To me that would be captioned in the more good talent area. How you view the word talent and the OP used it may be on two different levels Steve. I don't take what he's saying as offensive at all. I agree with him for that matter. The kids coming into drum corps now know more than what I saw 20 years ago. You can put a chart down in front of them on day 1 and they can play thru it. There's no hey lets go take a break and chart out fingerings time. They also have a background of having been playing in school for most, many years, as opposed to coming off the street and picking up an instrument for the first time.

Maybe it was his choice of wording that rubbed you the wrong way but the sentiment is 100% correct IMO.

OK, who's going to tell JD, Dirt, Collins, Jack and Joe etc. that they can't bring their coolers on the bus or smoke on the bus anymore?????? I guess Clemente was right, we are unique.

Holy crap Ray!! That no smoking thing isn't just a state law, but a Federal transportation one as far as I know of.

But how many people came into corps knowing how to read music? Now you have to. To me that would be captioned in the more good talent area. How you view the word talent and the OP used it may be on two different levels Steve. I don't take what he's saying as offensive at all. I agree with him for that matter. The kids coming into drum corps now know more than what I saw 20 years ago. You can put a chart down in front of them on day 1 and they can play thru it. There's no hey lets go take a break and chart out fingerings time. They also have a background of having been playing in school for most, many years, as opposed to coming off the street and picking up an instrument for the first time.

Maybe it was his choice of wording that rubbed you the wrong way but the sentiment is 100% correct IMO.

whoe there nellie. i can't speak for anybody else but in my corps if you couldn't read music we taught you and you didn't march untill you learned. it wasn't fingering a chart or sticking a chart we taught you to read. that was on e of my juobs for the drumline. i taght them to read so the arranger/instructor could teach the charts.

And that is great that you did that Don. Wonderful in fact. That made it a learning/educational experience. But I know not everyone learned that way or played that way. I still knew a friend who wrote out fingerings on the charts for fellow members back in the early part of the 2000's. That doesn't happen anymore.

And that is great that you did that Don. Wonderful in fact. That made it a learning/educational experience. But I know not everyone learned that way or played that way. I still knew a friend who wrote out fingerings on the charts for fellow members back in the early part of the 2000's. That doesn't happen anymore.

well that's not playing an instrument. you can't understand an instrument if you can't read. and i know someone who played in another corps that to this day can't read and i'm sure he will pop up hear about it.

See we're actually on the same page on this one Don! :thumbup:

This! :satisfied: