Rivals

Back in the day you could smoke on the bus too, but that along with the Charleston and the Mash Potato, is now out of date.... :tongue:

Now, now ... I just had some garlic mashed potatoes at NYY Steak last night and they were superb ... but alas, the days of the 60's when we rode around with coolers in the trunk and popped one almost at will are gone ... traffic jams on the parkway were more like a party as everyone shared libations until it cleared ... of course, it helped knowing the entire Bridgeport Police Dept as part of the PAL !!!! ... yup, the times they are a changin' ... or, is Dillon out of date also?

:-)

I hear ya man. Many of the corps now days have POLICIES (not laws) about drinking during drum corps events and weekends and this extends to bus trips. Im afraid the assimilation of DCA is almost complete.

I feel fairly certain that almost every jurisdiction in the US has a exception for Busses and Limousines for open containers. My buddy who has a bus company is unaware of any jurisdiction that would prevent a passenger on a bus from having a open container.

Well, many of them want to attract younger (more in-shape) members and DCA has benefited by it. The quality of performances have gone tremendously. Say what you want about entertainment, but the performance quality has increased dramatically in this activity. It is not all because DCA has gotten younger, but cleaning up its image makes it more attractive to better talent.

I was talking with a Chops member a few years back at finals, they said there is a hatred between Chops and MBI.

Seeing as they are in different classes I dont know if this is true or if that member just didnt like them. Anyone?

That rivalry was more potent between 1987-1990 though, It was like a apple and a orange from the same intense tree.

That is the BEST analogy I ever heard for Bush and Sun in the late 80's! :worthy:

Although, I don't think the rivalry was there in 1990. After the 89 season, a good nucleus of Sun members left the corps which dropped the corps from 2nd in 89 to 10th in 90, while Bush gained even more momentum going into the 90's!

Both of us were part of that Frank....very intense indeed! But I DO believe it made us better people as well!

Well, many of them want to attract younger (more in-shape) members and DCA has benefited by it. The quality of performances have gone tremendously. Say what you want about entertainment, but the performance quality has increased dramatically in this activity. It is not all because DCA has gotten younger, but cleaning up its image makes it more attractive to better talent.

'While I agree with the concept of your statement, I take offense to the words: "more in Shape" and "better talent". That implies that some stellar talent from DCA'S past should be ignored and their contributions be dismissed as irrelavent.Of course I am positive this is not what you imply, but read what you wrote and consider clarifying your message. I won't do it for you, as that would be rude.

Edited by hairbear

'While I agree with the concept of your statement, I take offense to the words: "more in Shape" and "better talent". That implies that some stellar talent from DCA'S past should be ignored and their contributions be dismissed as irrelavent.Of course I am positive this is not what you imply, but read what you wrote and consider clarifying your message. I won't do it for you, as that would be rude.

To use Pepe as an example, "round" is a shape and he packed a ton of talent into that shape! There were MANY more out there in the same boat. I'm sure that more than a couple of the "kids" of today's seniors would give anything to march/play next to the likes of those 'out of shapers' from bitd. Frank Arsenault and Cosmo B weren't exactly training to run marathons, but who wouldn't have leaped at the chance to be in any drumline they played in or taught. Just sayin'.

Ray

Now, now ... I just had some garlic mashed potatoes at NYY Steak last night and they were superb ... but alas, the days of the 60's when we rode around with coolers in the trunk and popped one almost at will are gone ... traffic jams on the parkway were more like a party as everyone shared libations until it cleared ... of course, it helped knowing the entire Bridgeport Police Dept as part of the PAL !!!! ... yup, the times they are a changin' ... or, is Dillon out of date also?

:-)

OK, who's going to tell JD, Dirt, Collins, Jack and Joe etc. that they can't bring their coolers on the bus or smoke on the bus anymore?????? I guess Clemente was right, we are unique.

To use Pepe as an example, "round" is a shape and he packed a ton of talent into that shape! There were MANY more out there in the same boat. I'm sure that more than a couple of the "kids" of today's seniors would give anything to march/play next to the likes of those 'out of shapers' from bitd. Frank Arsenault and Cosmo B weren't exactly training to run marathons, but who wouldn't have leaped at the chance to be in any drumline they played in or taught. Just sayin'.

Ray

i knew them both personally ray. and gus (cosmo) i was in 2 of his lines. those guy's were great.