Non-Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

There are countless elements of show design that transcend "taste."

Well I can't see the image because it's blocked here at work, but I know it's that photo of the crowd howling during Madison's performance in '82, with that guy with the hat in the middle and the lady with her arms in the air. Very nice that the Scouts (who blew the stands apart in Montreal that night, as I recall) generated that big response, and surely gratifying to the kids on the field. But that stuff about the emotional impact being "achieved as dictated by a quantitative mapping from auditory and visual perception to chemical releases and neurological processes," (with its obligatory implication that G bugle drum corps from back in the day is inherently "better" - whatever that might mean) is a little too pseudo for me.

I was at several shows this past summer. The audiences stood and howled, just like back in the good old days, and I didn't see any flashing "applause" signs prompting them to do so. What makes their auditory and visual perception and the attendant chemical releases and neurological processes in response thereto any less valid?

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 3

...I was at several shows this past summer. The audiences stood and howled, just like back in the good old days, and I didn't see any flashing "applause" signs prompting them to do so. What makes their auditory and visual perception and the attendant chemical releases and neurological processes in response thereto any less valid?...

That just happened! Shake and bake.

HH

I was at several shows this past summer. The audiences stood and howled, just like back in the good old days, and I didn't see any flashing "applause" signs prompting them to do so. What makes their auditory and visual perception and the attendant chemical releases and neurological processes in response thereto any less valid?

HU-BURN! :thumbup:

Well I can't see the image because it's blocked here at work, but I know it's that photo of the crowd howling during Madison's performance in '82, with that guy with the hat in the middle and the lady with her arms in the air. Very nice that the Scouts (who blew the stands apart in Montreal that night, as I recall) generated that big response, and surely gratifying to the kids on the field. But that stuff about the emotional impact being "achieved as dictated by a quantitative mapping from auditory and visual perception to chemical releases and neurological processes," (with its obligatory implication that G bugle drum corps from back in the day is inherently "better" - whatever that might mean) is a little too pseudo for me.

Peace,

Fred O.

Where precisely, in this thread, has this been mentioned?

Where precisely, in this thread, has this been mentioned?

When I look at the site on my work computer, most of the posted images are blocked. But down where Hroth's signature photo (the one with the hat and the raised arms) would be, there is a little frame that says "posted image," along with this caption:

Figure 6.5: A crowd reacts uniformly to a musical and visual event in the Madison Scouts' 1982 finals performance. Notice the consistency in the emotional effect achieved as dictated by a quantitative mapping from auditory and visual perception to chemical releases and neurological processes. The notion of "taste" (outside of that in drum corps in the first place) is almost entirely absent from this process.

I'm referring to that caption in my reply to Hroth's post.

Edited by drumno5

When I look at the site on my work computer, most of the posted images are blocked. But down where Hroth's signature photo (the one with the hat and the raised arms) would be, there is a little frame that says "posted image," along with this caption:

Figure 6.5: A crowd reacts uniformly to a musical and visual event in the Madison Scouts' 1982 finals performance. Notice the consistency in the emotional effect achieved as dictated by a quantitative mapping from auditory and visual perception to chemical releases and neurological processes. The notion of "taste" (outside of that in drum corps in the first place) is almost entirely absent from this process.

I'm referring to that caption in my reply to Hroth's post.

3822541081_0b9015b9fd_o.gif

People have different tastes. There is no magic formula that appeals to everybody when it comes to finding aesthetic pleasure in what we see and hear for entertainment.

Numbers always tell when people won't. The public votes with its presence/absence and its wallets. And when they continue to stay away, when they don't buy certain cars or toothpaste . . . or when attendance falls over time at certain types of movies (or at outdoor pageantry events), or when general membership numbers continue to drop over the years in organizations such as the Elks, Moose and Eagles (or in drum corps), smart promoters discuss changing the formula.