When woodwinds are added....

I've got to agree with Lance. As a mallet player, I've long found it interesting to talk with drum corps mallet players. Those that were in before amplification and afterwards claimed techniques had to be adjusted. Pounding the keys sounded really bad when amplified, but proper technique was enhanced by amplification.

Of course, some corps instructors had figured out how to get the maximum sound from the keyboard instruments prior to amplification, but amplification did open up different possibilities for them.

I always thought amplification should have allowed for the need for less marimbas and vibes in the pit, but I was apparently wrong. The marimba and vibes arms race appears to have no end in sight.

and the arms race was listed as a reason why amps was needed...to stop it.

but I have also talked to many pit players, and teach some...and trust me, they're very blunt about the lack of change

YOU may not...but many people do.

I would hope that the staff people would also think that way. The ones I have seen think that way, for the most part. Of course, as with anything there are exceptions, esp the younger and less experienced staff people.

As for others who hear/read stray poorly-worded comments and turn them into internet diatribes and attempts at a "gotcha" moment against the entire organization? I really do not care what they think.

some of us bought keyboards out of our own pocket for where we teach to keep from having to cut kids since the school wouldnt buy enough equipment. some of us have had the power to place the order thru the budget office.

i think more understand the cost than you wish to give credit for

no...I stand by these comments. MOST on DCP have little idea what a corps pays for a set of marimba keys.

> A brass judge saying something is not the official position of DCI. Don't confuse a bad decision by one or even a couple of judges with being the official viewpoint of DCI the organization.

True; but "official viewpoint" in this situation is somewhat moot because the judge is the person who evaluates and gives the actual scores to the corps, not DCI.

He was trying to think of a gracious way that Pioneer, in this case, could improve their brass sound. What he should have said was...STOP PLAYING ON THESE CRAPPY HORNS. Fact is...Pioneer purchased new Bbs when they had a choice to purchase Gs. One judges comments had zero to do with this decision. I cannot believe some here are still flailing wooden swords at the Bbs. They are proven the best of all the changes DCI has made over the past 10+ years.

I always thought amplification should have allowed for the need for less marimbas and vibes in the pit, but I was apparently wrong. The marimba and vibes arms race appears to have no end in sight.

The concept of an "arms race" is so apropos to a discussion of rules changes.

Every time there is a rules change, one of the arguments in favor: no one is forcing corps ABC to use X that is now legal. It doesn't matter if we're talking about amps, narration, Bb instruments, number of members, pre-show performances or props.

It seems that every rule change turns into an arms race. The top guys are going to do X because they now can and everyone else is going to do X because they feel they need to keep up.

Throw in the increasing staff sizes compared to BITD and the ever changing uniforms (2 more forms of the arms race) and you see the same phenomenon.

Just like the Cold War, in every arms race, one or more participants will eventually run out of the financial ability to continue.

• Like 3

I read.

Please tell me where. I have heard that the Crossmen may not be using synths, but I find it hard to believe they're considering not using amplification either.

Edited by Hrothgar15