DCI rules proposals released

I think it's going to be a tall order to expect one person to "speak for the audience". We once again get into the debate of quantifying what the audience likes....

This line right here will totally derail this proposal IMO

I'd like judges to speak for themselves. I accept the subjectiveness of the current judging system. But the second a judge try's to gauge my reaction and contrive a number based on his interpretation of my reaction... we have problems.. That is beyond subjective. That is... super-duper-subjective.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Sure does. And that's perfectly fine if everyone's in agreement that such "swings" are necessary and/or desired. A corps like Crossmen will be more likely able to jump from 13th to 8th too.

This would be a good thing. Parity and/or "swings" in placement sound good for everyone but those at the top. And those at the top will squash this.

But it would sell. And who cares if Crossmen get a bump in SA or SOA gets a bump in Atl, BD in NorCal or Boston at Allentown. It will all even out at the end. Being able to predict 1-17 with pretty decent accuracy in early July is bad.

Link to article.

This year, there are three rules proposals that will be discussed and voted on at DCI’s Annual Meeting (the Janual) in Indianapolis next week. It’s always possible certain proposals might not make it out of the caucus sessions, but those that do and receive a positive vote in the final session from the directors will proceed forward to be implemented either this season or a future season.

Be sure to check out the .pdf of the Jim Mason proposal to see what the score sheets for his proposed judging sheet may look like.

I am totally shocked that there are no proposals this year from GH. When was the last time that happened?

Wasn't this a continual back and forth in DCM and DCI in the 90s....audience/entertainment factors vs. difficulty and performance accuracy?

I can bet that Hopkins is kicking himself for getting kicked off the Board now. But, he, and his staff will still get to discuss in committee and he will get a vote.

Those against this proposal should wade carefully. Which corps, besides the Scouts, would benefit most from this? Regiment, perhaps? Cavies? Crown? Bluecoats?

Which would get hurt? Blue Devils, Cadets, recent SCV efforts...perhaps.

Yeah, I would see Cavies getting the biggest benefit overall. They are perhaps, the best blend of performance accuracy and fan appeal.

Drum corps fans are pretty fair in their offering of spontaneous standing ovations. But since a judge would be making a personal analysis of a crowd's reaction, I suspect regional favoritism would be taken into account, either consciously or sub-conciously.

Exactly, crowds reactions will be thought out instead of spontaneous... "wait, do I really want THIS corps to win? I won't clap as loudly... maybe won't clap at all just so I know the judge gets the hint..."

"I really want this corps to win I'll scream all the time so the judge knows I like it! Even at parts that aren't that audience engaging"

Awful...

I know not everyone will do this but that fact that people CAN do this is enough to cut this proposal. Now, the one thing that corps members look to as an authentic reaction because of its disassociation with the judging is now skewed... AWFUL IDEA!!!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Charlie123 has an excellent point about home shows for corps getting a boost in the new caption. At least at Indy it's neutral ground, aside from the big 5 or 6 corps with a bigger fan base. I don't think anyone can argue the Devils have a big fan base but there was very little aplause after their show most of the year. So we can't just say popular corps automatically get a crowd reaction.

I've tried to bring new people to DCI shows and the majority aren't very impressed, not like they were in the 90's. I haven't jumped out of my seat for good reason in years. Even my musician friends walk away saying "ehh it was okay". I got involved in this activity because of the things I saw and heard on the field. Corps today say they are there for entertainment but it's about #5 on their list. Their goal has to revolve around making top 12 status, to retain DCI sponsorship and get new recruits with more talents to improve their scores each year. I felt bad for taking people to live performances because the shows felt totally disconnected from the thousands sitting in the stands. I found myself yawning during the devil's show. Were they insanely clean and talented? Sure! But it bored my friends. Corps today seem like they only want to ram 1000 notes down your throat with no melody or meaning to the repertoire of the program. Maybe this new rule isn't a perfect answer but something needs to change or the activity is going to lose interest. Most of the guys I kept in contact with from my era stopped following DCI in the last decade. Even if this entire caption is 1 point out of 100, it may make corps at least TRY to connect to the audience. I just hope it doesn't turn into a soap opera on the field lol.

Edited by brown55061

I am totally shocked that there are no proposals this year from GH. When was the last time that happened?

Quiet before the storm.

Quiet before the storm.

Must be all that power he and Gibbs grabbed....

2. Regarding the sound board, and setting aside my oft-repeated position that there ought not to be amplification and electronics in the first place:

Every instrumentalist on the field has to control his or her own volume from the field -- why should amplified instruments get a pass in this regard?

And if there is to be sound board in use, why is it being operated by a staff person and not a performer? Isn't this the equivalent of having a football coach actually on the field with his players? Or perhaps being on headset to his quarterback, and alerting him of the position of defensive players the QB can't see?