1980 vs 2010

Ahh...

Here is the crux of Howdy's argument: he is CHOOSING to see/interpret modern drum corps in a way that supports his (naively ludicrous) argument. Howdy is either flat-out wrong, doesn't know it, and thus had zero credibility in ANY visual debate. Or Howdy is grossly over-stating his 'argument' (most wc corps are similar in so many ways, specifically in a discussion about visual design) in such a way so that he can try to get his point across: in which case he is using zero supporting arguments in this discussion and has zero credibility in ANY visual debate.

I am not going to respond to your disrespectful belittling. Remember one day that I told you this: wc drum corps will use my mouthpieces, and wc drumcorps will one day play my original music. I have a right to my opinion without being disrespected. I know that I am not the only one who sees this issue of todays top wc drumcorps all ducks marching and quacking alike syndrome.

To me Chris will always be a good kid with a heart of gold. What he really is, is an adult who tried his very best to try and start a drumcorps and he failed. So what? Remember a current wc top 12 director once tried to do the same kind of thing and failed. I respect him for trying a second time with another drumcorps, who came from very humble beginning to being a contender for DCI wc champions. I do not discriminate because someone is only 19. What id he would have been a Domino's Pizza driver, or a humble fireman, or a grade school teacher? I see no shame in what Chris did. He got too ambitious and too excited and things got carried away. He thought he had funds, in this tough economy coorporate sponsors are cutting back. Others like Freddy Martin had the same dream that Chris had.

We once had hundreds of jr drumcorps, perhaps as many as almost 500. Where are they now? Where is 27? North Star? Sky? Freelancers? Magic? Southwind? Suncoast? Guardsmen? Purple Lancers?..and I could go on and on and on...

It is tough to get a corps on the road, and perhaps even harder to keep them on the road.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1

I am not going to respond to your disrespectful belittling. Remember one day that I told you this: drum corps will use my mouthpieces, and drumcorps will one day play my music. I have a right to my opinion without being disrespected. I know that I am not the only one who sees this issue of todays top wc drumcorps all ducks marching and quacking alike syndrome.

And which mouthpieces and music would that be?

In regards to the similar techniques, I really think you should go back and look at DCI in the 80s. Besides the Cavaliers and Garfield, everyone else marched the same. Slightly bent knee going backwards, and heavy bent knee going forwards, sharp hip-switch transitions, and identical posture between corps. Techniques didn't start to change until 94 or so, when Todd Ryan came to BD and really introduced the straight leg technique there, and we started seeing the individuality start to spread. Most corps still do the semi-straight leg marching, while we have Cadets doing pure straight leg, Cavies and Santa Clara using the bent knee, and until this year, Blue Knights had the knee pop. Now they've switched to straight leg, and joined the rest of the crowd.

• Like 1

Exactly Jeff. The demands of today are far different than they were then. Where todays corps have velocity to deal with, we had the high mark time. Where there is difficulty and strong demand today, we had tight precision then. The emphasis is placed in different areas, which means no meaningful comparison can be made.

The only way to settle it would be to go back in time and have a corps from the 80s go against a corps from today (I'm thinking....84 Cadets vs 07 Cadets)...each performing the other's show...THEN see how things would stack up.

Like any activity, it's not a matter of which era is cleaner...it's that the activity has evolved and changed, and technique goes right along with it.

You might as well ask which era of football was superior...pre or post allowance of the forward pass.

It's a pointless argument when so much has changed in 30 years.

I just so want to see Howdy and "Brass Expert" go toe to toe.... I'd make the popcorn

Idk, let me call him up and see what he thinks, then we will come up with some way to annoy you guys.

Edited by ChwyNiblet

And which mouthpieces and music would that be?

<snip>

Since you asked, Legends is now offering my signature model trumpet mouthpiece top. We are looking for a mfg. for a 1 piece mp. I know that one size does not fit all, but this is the most comfortable lead trumpet mouthpiece that I have ever played. It was specially designed by myself with DCI wc lead trumpet players in mind who are looking for range and tone. IMHO you can play on it all day without getting tired chops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220725988497&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Legends is soon releasing another artists signature model trumpet top, who is a famed DCI soprano and DCA trumpet soloist. All Legends trumpet tops for an extra fee can be altered to meet your individual trumpet playing needs.

I released TULSA, REDEMPTION is mastered , and I am getting close to finishing COMPLETE. I am convinced that once these CD's are all released they will silence my critics. I am not going to get into flame wars, I know many criticize me who are jealous of my sucsess. Anyone can be a critic, but it takes putting your soul into something in order to write, arrange, record, mix , compile and master original music. Again, I will let what comes out of my bell do the talking for me. I am very blessed and very happy, most pleased with this awesome creative process. I will not listen to doubters and critics, but rather I choose to press on, improve and bless others with my music as I have been blessed. I created my myspace page, and the critics of my music have almost all disappeared. I invite you to visit my myspace page and website from time to time, and to enjoy the music.

All the best,

Mikey

Edited by Howdy

I don't know Howdy... I do not believe YOU or ANYONE has the right to NOT BE DISRESPECTED. I am fairly sure this is an earned right where someone is able to satisfy the less than excited response they get from others, and are able to turn that around with positive input and depth of knowledge. I am not piling on here my friend, but I do believe there is a HUGE sense of entitlement in the post I decided to comment on. I would rephrase were I to want some respect.

I am not going to respond to your disrespectful belittling. Remember one day that I told you this: wc drum corps will use my mouthpieces, and wc drumcorps will one day play my original music. I have a right to my opinion without being disrespected. I know that I am not the only one who sees this issue of todays top wc drumcorps all ducks marching and quacking alike syndrome.

To me Chris will always be a good kid with a heart of gold. What he really is, is an adult who tried his very best to try and start a drumcorps and he failed. So what? Remember a current wc top 12 director once tried to do the same kind of thing and failed. I respect him for trying a second time with another drumcorps, who came from very humble beginning to being a contender for DCI wc champions. I do not discriminate because someone is only 19. What id he would have been a Domino's Pizza driver, or a humble fireman, or a grade school teacher? I see no shame in what Chris did. He got too ambitious and too excited and things got carried away. He thought he had funds, in this tough economy coorporate sponsors are cutting back. Others like Freddy Martin had the same dream that Chris had.

We once had hundreds of jr drumcorps, perhaps as many as almost 500. Where are they now? Where is 27? North Star? Sky? Freelancers? Magic? Southwind? Suncoast? Guardsmen? Purple Lancers?..and I could go on and on and on...

It is tough to get a corps on the road, and perhaps even harder to keep them on the road.

I have a right to my opinion without being disrespected.

Are you kidding?!?! Everyone has the right to post their own opinion (as long as it is not malicious in nature and follows the proper protocol of DCP). However, there is no such "right" mandating others to respect that opinion in existence; not even in the Constitution of the United States! In a free society, Respect, and for that matter Disrespect, is earned.

• Like 1

Are you kidding?!?! Everyone has the right to post their own opinion (as long as it is not malicious in nature and follows the proper protocol of DCP). However, there is no such "right" mandating others to respect that opinion in existence; not even in the Constitution of the United States! In a free society, Respect, and for that matter Disrespect, is earned.

The DCP forum rules were not followed. I was not treated properly. I am a brass guy. Call me pragmatic I have over 30 years experience teaching marching and brass and I know what works. I was taught by the best, and I believe in my dc roots. Althought I was not perfect, and my experiences were not always dreamful, I am not ashamed of them. If your way is working for you great, but if it is not working do not tell people that my ways don't work because decades of trial and error prove to me that Zingalli was right. Like I said, I do not listen to doubters or critics. I am a doer, not a hearer only. Please pick someone else to flame, I am not going to give you the attention you seek. I will remain, and let what comes out of my bell do the talking for me. I like the story that my music has to tell. So do many others, and I hope you like it to. I can't wait to finish Complete so that I can clear my mind to start recording traditional African American spirituals, what I have been wanting to record for a while.

As for Chris please don't kick the guy when he is down. I am sure he feels bad enough that he was not able to achieve his dream. You will find that many artists only reach their greatest achievements after not getting it right the first time. MLK was once an inmate. But instead of giving up while he was down he wrote "Letter from a Birmingham Jail".

The only way to fail is to fail to keep trying.

All the best,

Mikey

Edited by Howdy

> I was not treated properly.

I knew you looked familiar; you are the guy on the couch on the Geico commercial who says that the color Yellow makes him sad!

> As for Chris please don't kick the guy when he is down.

This is not about Chris; I am not holding anything against him; I truly believe that he was a very impressionable teenager who was grossly misguided by an irresponsible adult; and three guesses on which adult I am referring to!

> I am a brass guy. Call me pragmatic I have over 30 years experience teaching marching and brass and I know what works. I was taught by the best, and blah, blah, blah...

Congratulations!!! You are certainly a legend in your own mind!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4