So can somebody explain this G7 thing?

I really have been thinking about this and have to ask, but how many people on here that are truly against the TOC, and have been doing all of this campaigning against it and writing on here, are actually from one of these Top 8 corps? How many people are from one of them, and are still planning to abandon their alma mater corps over this proposal? Or how many are from a lower down corps, and see this only as elitism and a power grab? Just had to ask this.

FWIW, I marched in a Semi-finalist corps, and taught a few Div 3 corps. I agree with a lot of the TOC things happening this year, and for the most part I think more shows = everyone wins (fans can see the Championship caliber corps more often, members get to perform more often, some corps will get to make more money). I do think that much of the verbiage in the ppt was disrespectful, no matter how honest/blunt it was at times. I think the top corps are obviously the main draw, and don't blame them for wanting more money. We all love to hype the lower achieving corps, and try to pat their members on the head, tell them how much we love/appreciate their efforts, etc. But when the stands a 1/3 full for the first hour and change of Quarters, or for Open Class events, or a small fraction of souvenirs are sold by lower placing corps compared to Top 5 corps, the true feelings of drum corps fans become obvious: excellence at the highest level of the activity is what sells ticket sales and souvies.

• Like 1

Have ANY of the TOC haters had specific conversations with any of the top 8 corps directors regarding this to back up their inflammatory nonsense? Well I have, and what is consistently being represented as the "goal" of the G-8 here on DCP by the haters is hilarious in its absurdity.

So... after the G-7 Power grab scheme cooked up behind closed doors was made public, then why was there an emergency meeting called and the Board of Directors booted off and the schemers on that Board replaced by new DCI members, if eveything was sunshine and lollipops ?

Edited by BRASSO

I don't know the details, or even if this part of the proposal was further refined, but I was under the impression the corps that make up that 8 would change based on placements and whatnot.

Does anyone have factual information to confirm or deny that?

I honestly don't know.

well it was for the top 8, and those positions rarely change...so who is to say anyone is willing to change the status quo in time to guarantee their survival?

• Like 1

I really don't get this post Jeff. It is not in any of the G-8's interest to make it exclusionary given a position in the 8 is never guaranteed. I realize the stalwart top 4-5 corps probably wouldn't mind but I don't see any of the corps that have finished around 6-7-8 more than the top 5 being interested in making it harder to get back in were they to be pushed out. If you truly think it is the goal of last years top 8 to make every other corps go away then you really must have some solid information you're keeping to yourself otherwise I just think the overly negative hype on DCP is influencing your take. Have ANY of the TOC haters had specific conversations with any of the top 8 corps directors regarding this to back up their inflammatory nonsense? Well I have, and what is consistently being represented as the "goal" of the G-8 here on DCP by the haters is hilarious in its absurdity.

ok...you're in the G8 for a few years...you get the perks...suddenly, you may be kicked out.

look at what you lose if you're kicked out.,..the extra income, and in time probably the extra power.

so wouldnt you come up with a proposal to ensure you stay in? I would

• Like 1

Well said. I think many of us understand Jeff's (and others) angst concerning the G-8? position towards a new format and more audience contact, but I agree that they are a bit overboard in their zealousness to see the G-8 as power grabbing and wanting to squash the lower tier and open corps. There is simply no evidence of this in anything I have read or heard.

well considering 7 of them put forth a proposal to get rid of Open Class......

think they just changed their minds overnight? 2 of these guys talked of a concept like this in 1997

• Like 1

I really have been thinking about this and have to ask, but how many people on here that are truly against the TOC, and have been doing all of this campaigning against it and writing on here, are actually from one of these Top 8 corps? How many people are from one of them, and are still planning to abandon their alma mater corps over this proposal? Or how many are from a lower down corps, and see this only as elitism and a power grab? Just had to ask this.

I didn't march with any DCI corps. I am a fan of all drum corps...DCI, DCA, Alumni. You're talking to a guy who saw EVERY corps in Indy at least once last year, allof DCA prelims, and probably 15 alumni corps over the course of the year.

• Like 2

well it was for the top 8, and those positions rarely change...so who is to say anyone is willing to change the status quo in time to guarantee their survival?

Some people used to snicker in years past at the conspiratists that claimed that DCI engaged in " slotting", Jeff.

The good news here is that that argument has now been settled once and for all.

DCI has now effectively created a Group Slotting System within the World Class Division for this upocoming year. The positioning for the slotting position for this year was determined based upon what ?... past performance. That's " slotting ". No doubt about it. No reasonable or intelligent person could possibly think otherwise now either, imo.

If people think the top Corps in the World Class Division had a competitive advantage before, they havn't seen anything yet.

Edited by BRASSO

FWIW, I marched in a Semi-finalist corps, and taught a few Div 3 corps. I agree with a lot of the TOC things happening this year, and for the most part I think more shows = everyone wins (fans can see the Championship caliber corps more often, members get to perform more often, some corps will get to make more money). I do think that much of the verbiage in the ppt was disrespectful, no matter how honest/blunt it was at times. I think the top corps are obviously the main draw, and don't blame them for wanting more money. We all love to hype the lower achieving corps, and try to pat their members on the head, tell them how much we love/appreciate their efforts, etc. But when the stands a 1/3 full for the first hour and change of Quarters, or for Open Class events, or a small fraction of souvenirs are sold by lower placing corps compared to Top 5 corps, the true feelings of drum corps fans become obvious: excellence at the highest level of the activity is what sells ticket sales and souvies.

Thank you. See, I'm in the same boat as you. FWIW, I'm a member of one of the Top 8, and I was jumping at the chance for more shows, more chances to perform. That's why I'm in this, being able to perform at a top level with my best friends all summer, so I still think this is a great thing. Nothing against the lower corps, I've been in that position to perform in front of empty stands, but even then, there's no way I would turn down the chance to perform more, or see more drum corps over the summer. Wasn't everyone complaining about the lowering number of shows per summer? Well, here it is. More shows, 8 more, enjoy them.

• Like 1

Some people used to snicker in years past at the conspiratists that claimed that DCI engaged in " slotting", Jeff.

The good news here is that that argument has now been settled once and for all.

DCI has now effectively created a Group Slotting System within the World Class Division for this upocoming year. The positioning for the slotting position for this year was determined based upon what ?... past performance. That's " slotting ". No doubt about it. No reasonable or intelligent person could possibly think otherwise now either, imo.

their claim I believe was "historical placement"...tho really, Crown, Coats and Blue Stars are newcomers to being a perennial top 8 team.

While I suspect someone outside the 8 may be one of them come Indy time, I highly doubt over the life of this concept we'll see more than one or two spots have a rotating membership.

• Like 1

I didn't march with any DCI corps. I am a fan of all drum corps...DCI, DCA, Alumni. You're talking to a guy who saw EVERY corps in Indy at least once last year, allof DCA prelims, and probably 15 alumni corps over the course of the year.

That's good. You're probably one of the few though, and that's sad. But Perc2100 put it best. When the stands are mostly empty at the beginning of shows, the fans send a clear message. I know every corps out there appreciates the support, and the world would be a better place if everyone showed up at the start of every show and stayed there the whole time, but that's just not the way it is. DCI has taken what the fans are giving them, highest show attendance for the Top 8, and have constructed extra shows just featuring those 8. According to ticket sales and attendance records, it's what the fans want, even if they won't say it aloud.

• Like 1