So can somebody explain this G7 thing?

I find this to be an accurate description of what the DCP reaction has been, but I also find it a bit bold to extend that to DCI, which is NOT DCP.

DCI is certainly not DCP. The reaction to the G7 proposal on DCP was mild compared to the reaction to it within in DCI, and DCP will forget about the proposal long before the DCI collective does. That's no assumption, it's the truth.

I know it's fashionable to bash DCP, and there are some real loons on here. But in the time I spend working and talking with people on the "inside" - including one G7 corps I've gotten quite close to - I've constantly hear crap that is far, far more outrageous than anything that would be allowed on DCP. I've heard staffers whine about DCP while in the same breath they say something - often in front of, or to, the kids - about another corps or person or judge that would get them kicked off this forum in heartbeat.

Two reactions:

1. Think about it. The G7 had four months of conference calls putting their proposal together. Their proposal in May received votes in favor from the four G7 directors on the BOD at that time. Four days later, all seven of these corps posted the same press release on their websites in solidarity.

Now, hypothetically (since this is so obviously unrealistic anyway)....if you were the director of one of these corps, and you didn't know until the presentation was given that this proposal was going to include the firing of Dan Acheson, taking over DCI ticketing/merchandising/event management, taking voting power away from existing member corps, casting open-class loose, and denying show access to non-G7 corps....and you found these things objectionable....wouldn't you have spoken up?

2. The TOC is a series of shows cooked up by DCI, with the concurrence of a BOD consisting primarily of non-TOC corps directors. It does what DCI's mission statement has said they should do for decades....showcase the top corps. TOC does not equal G7. However....the TOC show concept was part of that G7 proposal. And human nature being what it is, you know that people are going to spin TOC attendance statistics as justification for further concessions to the top corps. We already see this politicking on DCP. So while the TOC shows are not an evil plot against DCI, they are now inextricably linked to the G7 affair.

1. I'm just kind of groping about in the dark here. The proposal does not look like it was a collaborative effort . . . GH's style and ideas are pretty idiosyncratic, and the style and the content of the proposal seems to be all his. I could easily envision a scenario where the G7 spend a few months quietly exploring the possibility of more Murfreesboro-style shows, sending some corps out west each year, and a few other changes. Then they ask Hopkins to give a proposal, since he enjoys doing that sort of thing, and Hopkins comes up with something a little more extreme that what was being discussed as he is wont to do from time to time. By the time the proposal is given the die has been cast, and it's no longer possible for the G7 corps to back down. Maybe they chastise Hopkins in secret, but no way do they break rank in public.

Based on what I know of the personalities of the G7 directors this all (to me) seems plausible. But I'm just making assumptions. If this is BS let me know, my feelings won't be hurt.

2. Agreed. :smile:

• Like 1

1. I'm just kind of groping about in the dark here. The proposal does not look like it was a collaborative effort . . . GH's style and ideas are pretty idiosyncratic, and the style and the content of the proposal seems to be all his.

But we know Dave Gibbs contributed too....he is named as having put the G7 event format together.

I could easily envision a scenario where the G7 spend a few months quietly exploring the possibility of more Murfreesboro-style shows, sending some corps out west each year, and a few other changes. Then they ask Hopkins to give a proposal, since he enjoys doing that sort of thing, and Hopkins comes up with something a little more extreme that what was being discussed as he is wont to do from time to time. By the time the proposal is given the die has been cast, and it's no longer possible for the G7 corps to back down. Maybe they chastise Hopkins in secret, but no way do they break rank in public.

Based on what I know of the personalities of the G7 directors this all (to me) seems plausible. But I'm just making assumptions. If this is BS let me know, my feelings won't be hurt.

Well, all I can say is that if I were a G7 director, there is no way I would have allowed my corps to take that public position of solidarity via the website-press-release-x7 if I disagreed with the subject proposal.

That soundly rejected proposal you refer to came from seven corps. Says so on the front page.

I acknowledge what you are saying regarding assumptions....but what other cues do we have to go on? The leadership of any of those seven corps could issue a press release, post to their website, discuss on DCP or via the DCI Roundtable, do a podcast or a FieldPass segment, interview with a Drum Corps World reporter, or any number of other options to let us know what their intentions really are. But we've had six months of silence instead.

Still, the opportunity remains.

small correction. One corps did an immediate CYA post on their site saying that well, they hadn't committed to anything. the Cavaliers

• Like 1

I find this to be an accurate description of what the DCP reaction has been, but I also find it a bit bold to extend that to DCI, which is NOT DCP.

it's a very accurate description

• Like 1

Very few corps have the resources to be "performance" ready so early in June. So, it could be that if asked, they would decline because they might not be ready?

One of the TOC's show ideas is the shorter time constraint so by not including Crossmen and Revolution they are able to meet their goal of a time constraint?

I suggested that non TOC corps should show up if they want and can be given the opportunity to perform an encore tune or two in between corps setup time or even during the intermission inside of the stadium. It would be nice if on the jumbo tron they included a PSA announcement that said something in reference to the fact that Texas as two of its very own drum and bugle Corps (to the fans that are mostly likely from the Texas area) and maybe a nice video about those local corps encouraging possible drum corps fans to audition for them.

That is possible... but remember last year SCV barely had their closer on the field by San Antonio. To deny these corps the chance to put on shows in their own backyard is just terrible, IMO. They could both use the shows for exposure and selling souvies, as you mentioned.

That is possible... but remember last year SCV barely had their closer on the field by San Antonio. To deny these corps the chance to put on shows in their own backyard is just terrible, IMO. They could both use the shows for exposure and selling souvies, as you mentioned.

Have seen and read about early season shows not being complete and the world didn't stop spinning.

But..... how could a corps turn down a show months before the season started knowing they would not be ready????????

More likely not invited..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That's true, I imagine that there is a lot of pressure this year in the G7 to get there #### together earlier than usual. I mean learning side tunes, and entire show by June... whatever... is VERY difficult. A lot is riding on their ability to prepare for these early shows or people are going to be a little upset.

But overall I don't chastise these corps for wanting only the top 8 corps to perform at a show. That's whatever. But I do think they they are missing opportunities to connect these 8 corps with other corps in DCI, but again, I don't know the "official" format of the TOC shows...

I thought that was supposed to be resolved at the DCI Jannual...

People are ignoring the regional factor, of course they would have to. Hopkins knows the Cadets don’t do well in the Midwest and that Madison would outsell them here even in their worst years. The mid-west is the largest, live show market.

I look forward to the rule changing gymnastic to try and get Madison in the G-8 as well as, the rule changing gymnastic to keep Regiment in the G-8 (you'll see)

DCI has problems; it’s been run for a long time by a few self serving, washed up, creatively bankrupt directors that should have stepped aside years ago and let the new generation have their time to shine. We lost an entire generation of Drum Corps already. These directors serve their egos, their corporate sponsors, and their organizations (which have their hands in things other thn d/c so it's not their top priority) well before they serve the kids/marchers or drum corps in general. I feel many of the new toys that have been added are to cover for a lack of new ideas by the same old tied designers that don’t know when to let go and move on

The G-8 should leave DCI for the sake of drum corps and the activity, go be that marching band that you always wanted to be and let us return to drum corps

I’m ashamed of the corps I was formally associated with for being a part of the G-8. I’m disgusted by all these homers that sold their drum corps souls because their corps are in the G-8. I think it’s laughable that Crown, Blue Stars and Bluecoats are considered worthy of G-8 status with their rather poor overall histories of competitive success. I also think it’s laughable that the bandos will save us, they never have before

• Like 2

Have seen and read about early season shows not being complete and the world didn't stop spinning.

But..... how could a corps turn down a show months before the season started knowing they would not be ready????????

More likely not invited..

of course they weren't invited... apparently it makes more sense for 8 other corps to trek thousands of miles each to get to Texas and then ban the texas corps from being in the show. Genius. :doh: