What is the biggest challenge facing drum corps today?

1. DCI administration

2. Corps not in agreement in what they want to achieve or how to achieve it

3. Costs of tour.

1. We need smarter business savvy people. One's that have broader visions in DCI to manage their corps, make new ones, and expand on the many opportunities that drum corps can have on the Music Education World, Marching World, Performing Arts, etc. This includes advertisement, sponsors, and getting a more concise message out to the public or more specifically the music public. Overall, DCI is (currently) VERY poor at this. Very poor. I also think it's time people besides who just run the corps are involved with running things.

2. Having 7 corps against the rest is NOT the way to do it. All corps need to have the same vision for Drum corps in the future. They need realize that all corps can add a unique element in the equation and that everycorps will have to make sacrifices for the whole (I MEAN EVERY CORPS). There are never ending disagreements on judging, show design, compensation, traveling, etc, and until those are completely resolved (or at least to a point where disagreement is minimal or a lasting compromise is met) we will be where we are now. Concede in a common goal in DCI drum corps, its the ONLY way. If every corps had the same grand vision for drum corps and how it should "work" it will make the fans happy I'm sure of it. This means corps should be true to themselves about where they currently stand and where they want to be (or should be) in the future.

3. Without proper DCI management the costs of tour will begin to eat drum corps alive. When it comes to the national tour, DCI should think more mindful about how the tour is created to reduce cost for the corps. Corps should, whenever possible, work together to cut down costs. More corps sharing housing sites, etc.

Wow, Charlie1223, I could not agree more. After attending the DCI conference this past week, I must say that your top three are correct, and are absolutely in the right order. Though I would not want to take over DCI and try to fix it in its current state, I am worried that unless things change soon from the board on down, no progress can be made. I am additionally not sure who is going to lead drum corps into positive change.

In addition to your specifics regarding administration, I will add that unless there is a major shift in the overall atmosphere when the "big boys" meet it the room to make their decisions, the end is too near. The lack of organization, professionalism, camaraderie, implementation and understanding of proper meeting procedures, and clarity of goals, was shocking, like major devastating earthquake shocking, I still can't believe it. However, when instructors and designers got in the room together, there was thank God a much higher level of control, order, goal setting, and professionalism. Cesario set the mood for each of these meetings and gave me a little hope that all is not yet lost. I cannot help but think about major corporations or successful smaller businesses as an example. If the business is successful and has an air of professionalism, organization, vision to it, I assume you could trace the workings of that company from product quality and customer satisfaction back to board/CEO interactions where the quality of the company's out put is no surprise. Those in charge, though at time disagreeing and speaking passionately, running their meetings with a high level of organization, professionalism, camaraderie, implementation and understanding of proper meeting procedures, and clarity of goals for the betterment of the whole corporation. This is the first I have spoken about it. As I have laid in bed the last two nights worrying about it, my wife keeps asking what is on my mind. I have responded that I am still too worked up to talk about it. I refuse to believe it has always been this way. If so, we have been very lucky to have lasted this long.

• Like 5

Wow, Charlie1223, I could not agree more. After attending the DCI conference this past week, I must say that your top three are correct, and are absolutely in the right order. Though I would not want to take over DCI and try to fix it in its current state, I am worried that unless things change soon from the board on down, no progress can be made. I am additionally not sure who is going to lead drum corps into positive change.

In addition to your specifics regarding administration, I will add that unless there is a major shift in the overall atmosphere when the "big boys" meet it the room to make their decisions, the end is too near. The lack of organization, professionalism, camaraderie, implementation and understanding of proper meeting procedures, and clarity of goals, was shocking, like major devastating earthquake shocking, I still can't believe it. However, when instructors and designers got in the room together, there was thank God a much higher level of control, order, goal setting, and professionalism. Cesario set the mood for each of these meetings and gave me a little hope that all is not yet lost. I cannot help but think about major corporations or successful smaller businesses as an example. If the business is successful and has an air of professionalism, organization, vision to it, I assume you could trace the workings of that company from product quality and customer satisfaction back to board/CEO interactions where the quality of the company's out put is no surprise. Those in charge, though at time disagreeing and speaking passionately, running their meetings with a high level of organization, professionalism, camaraderie, implementation and understanding of proper meeting procedures, and clarity of goals for the betterment of the whole corporation. This is the first I have spoken about it. As I have laid in bed the last two nights worrying about it, my wife keeps asking what is on my mind. I have responded that I am still too worked up to talk about it. I refuse to believe it has always been this way. If so, we have been very lucky to have lasted this long.

wow.

• Like 1

Wow, indeed. Thanks, I certainly have no DCI ins but the things I have mentioned that need correction are obvious even from the outside looking in. Your thoughts are very revealing about the DCI conference, Since you were your thoughts should be taken seriously, we would need more accounts to confirm this but based on what you say it does seem concerning. The first thing that has to be done is define the problem, this just further pushes the idea that maybe the way the administration is run is one of the problems. But ofcourse, more accounts need to be taken.

Edited by charlie1223

Since you were actually there I have no doubts that what your saying are spot on without exaggeration. Your concerns are legitimate.

Really? Just one person's observation of one meeting. I can tell you from first-hand experience that even great organizations sometimes have chaotic meetings. No offense to Phan. Just saying.

HH

• Like 1

Really? Just one person's observation of one meeting. I can tell you from first-hand experience that even great organizations sometimes have chaotic meetings. No offense to Phan. Just saying.

HH

Well, okay, I don't know if he was exaggerating or not, but if anyone else who was actually at the meetings has something to say about it then we'll make a comparison. But honestly if the MOST important meeting for an organization as this Janual is can even be remotely described in such a way as Phan did then that's a problem. This meeting is the most important meeting for DCI, its a critical reflection of the organization, how it runs and operates. Sure there are bad meetings, but when your most important meeting has problems like this, that is not just bad luck that's something else. (btw glory, I just edited the quote you responded to, because you are just a little right... :P)

Edited by charlie1223

HH

I don't know Phan, but I've heard from 3 people he's pretty much right on, and withholding a lot.

• Like 1

LOL, following this discussion is really hard. The amount of opinion on DCP generated by rumor and unconfirmed statements is at an all time high.

• Like 1

The biggest challenges?

They all derive from one: We are an anachronism and have been for a long time. The activity is increasingly disconnected from the world around it. Drum corps looks more like Civil War re-enactment every day in a world that is increasingly multimedia and individualistic. The society that must sustain drum corps values neither its performance nor its work. Finances, fans, facilities - all those issues are the result of the reality that for better or worse the world is passing us bye.

HH - doomsday dude