Pre-June Prediction Thread

far be it for me to...well...ever...give Hop praise, I will for that statement.

why? Standing O's mean people like you. When people like you, they're willing to spend money on you. This is a business too, and while scores are important for many corps, so is revenue coming in the doors.

you're right, the story is key. The problem with Phantom 09 is the story never grew. or made sense

Stories can work, and yes they have to be planned to peak just right. The key is, IMO, not over-programming. as Cesario said in his piece on DCI, faux intelligence isn't all that's cracked up to be.

as to you last sentence....it may be a shame, but people are paying customers, and if customers dont like what they see, they'll #####. simple fact of life, drum corps and business

Actually Jeff, if you re-read my last sentence.. I said the opposite. I suggested that: "IMO when BD 2011 enters the field there will continue to be more angst about them as a corps and their place at the top.... than what they are doing on field" - meaning that some fans will come pre-loaded and pre-determined and what they see will be incidental. That's the shame!

I like to predict by colors:

All blue corps except Blue Saints will drop several places.

All green corps will have a better year.

Reds will be all over the map.

Shades will be solid this year :tongue:

I predict that all Corps that possess a lot of Green will do the best this year.

• Like 3

Actually Jeff, if you re-read my last sentence.. I said the opposite. I suggested that: "IMO when BD 2011 enters the field there will continue to be more angst about them as a corps and their place at the top.... than what they are doing on field" - meaning that some fans will come pre-loaded and pre-determined and what they see will be incidental. That's the shame!

if their shows is as polarizing as the last few years, scores may come up, but content will be the topic. But like always, you'll choose to ignore that.

• Like 1

you seem to think that most of the people against the last 2 BD offerings don't like the shows because they don't like BD...you constantly beat that horse...and frankly, that's just not the case.

People don't like the shows because they don't like the shows. Sure, there's some petty, pea-whit out there that hate's BD because they are BD, but the preponderance of people that don't like the shows is because they just don't like them.

I like BD...just not lately. 2007 was when their shows started going downhill, for me...

• Like 3

you seem to think that most of the people against the last 2 BD offerings don't like the shows because they don't like BD...you constantly beat that horse...and frankly, that's just not the case.

People don't like the shows because they don't like the shows. Sure, there's some petty, pea-whit out there that hate's BD because they are BD, but the preponderance of people that don't like the shows is because they just don't like them.

I like BD...just not lately. 2007 was when their shows started going downhill, for me...

Fair enough. But the horse I keep beating is not the "I hate BD horse"...there may be some but it's more about the "ABBD horse", which is really not about BD specifically but about the desire for someone new at the top. Anyone new. IMO this would be the case with any dominant corps. So, take an edgy show and match that sentiment and you get what I'm getting at. I hope you see the subtle difference.

And yes, I understand that some didn't understand or connect to their last 3 shows, I just don't see it as predominant as you do. In fact, I see them as classics in the out years.

Edited by Plan9

-I predict that BD's 2011 show will be entitled: "1984" A show about doublespeak and Thought Police that by the end will make the audience believe that BD 2010 has been their favorite show for several years. ...exactly.

-I predict that the Cadets will find surprising mass appeal for their singing in Angels in the Architecture after realizing that all they really needed to do was higher a Siren. (but refuses to take responsibility for the ship wreaked vessels littering the stadium)

-I predict that in order for the Crossmen to gain the judges appeal for their lack of synth, they will just have to tell the judges that they just "forgot" the extension cord... every show.

-I predict that after watching Madison's show audience members will have burned over 1000 calories; the non-stop "sitting, standing, jumping" during the performance however will have legacy fans wondering if all this "entertainment" was really worth the strain on their knees.

-I predict that Teal Sound will have actually stolen all of Crossmen's extension cords.

-I predict that Rule Proposal #2 will be revealed to be an Apple conspiracy.

-I predict George Hopkins.

That is all.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 4

Fair enough. But the horse I keep beating is not the "I hate BD horse"...there may be some but it's more about the "ABBD horse", which is really not about BD specifically but about the desire for someone new at the top. Anyone new. IMO this would be the case with any dominant corps. So, take an edgy show and match that sentiment and you get what I'm getting at. I hope you see the subtle difference.

And yes, I understand that some didn't understand or connect to their last 3 shows, I just don't see it as predominant as you do. In fact, I see them as classics in the out years.

it's the shows dude. if they had shows that thrilled fans, no one would care about the scores if they hit 110 in July every year.

predictions you can bank on:

whoever scores highest wins.

if someone doesnt like a corps show, they are a hater.

if someone doesnt get a corps show, they'll be told to research and stop being stuck in the 70's.

if someone doesnt like BD's show, Plan will tell them it's because BD wins and they want someone new.

if anyone criticizes a rule, MikeD will say we need no rules.

the passion of the season will probably see someone get banned, and several people get suspensions.

people in the DCI Forum will call DCA people old and out of touch.

people in the DCA forum will call DCI people young punks with no respect for history.

People will ##### if a show isn't done by late June.

finals night the place will crash as scores are announced.

at Allentown, you will hear someone warm up during a ballad.

I will make sure to ignore Facebook chat when watching Fan Network live broadcasts.

I will write a review for DCI or DCA or both guaranteed to #### someone off.

Bawker will have great smart ### comments

Lance will play devils advocate for the sake of playing devils advocate.

Someone will like waffles, but be told Belgian Waffles are better and have more depth.

I could go on, but this should be a start :tongue:

Wish I could "like" this more than once.

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Carolina Crown

4. Cavaliers

5. Bluecoats

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Blue Stars

8. Madison Scouts

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Phantom Regiment

11. The Academy

12. Blue Knights