Pre-June Prediction Thread

Okay, I know WC is supposedly the best and all, but there are several OC corps that could take down some if not most of the WC corps. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

1. supposedly?

2. The two classes are farther spread apart than you think. The only corps i can see beating more than 1 or 2 world class corps would be BDB. And even then I can only seen them beating a few WC corps IMO. Not most.

• Like 1

Did I read that correctly? That there are Open Class Corps that could take down MOST of the World Class Corps? Who would that be exactly? And by the way, in most dictionaries,

MOST means almost all.

Okay maybe not most. But what makes you think that some OC corps are not as good as WC corps. Idk about you but The top 5 or 6 in OC are good enough to take down the bottom 10 at least of WC.

This is an old topic and it's OT. I think I've already given a prediction, so I'll share with this OT post... ph34r.gif

I share your view that there are a few OC corps that could do well in WC. Notably BDB, Oregon Crusaders, and Spartans from last year. Next year, there surely will be others. Maybe add Forte, SCVC, Music City, and others to the mix. I really don't think the top 5 or 6 are all good enough to take down the bottom 10 "at least" of WC. Let's look at some history and let me recap what I got out of the last round of throttling here on DCP:

OC corps' shows are not designed necessarily score well on WC sheets, they're designed to score well on OC sheets.. The corps designing their shows to do well on OC sheets would therefore not necessarily do as well on WC sheets. Maybe they need more difficult, or something extra in the design....

Of course I forgot to mention the usual, we'll never know because the corps never competed head to head...

This, of course, ignores the example of Magic making top twelve many years back.

It also ignores the old DCM sheets, where all corps were scored on the same sheets.

Quite a few smaller corps ( OC ) did pretty well versus the lower tier of the higher division (WC) corps. I'm not going to hunt those scores down, you can!

We have these cases:

2000 SCV Cadets:

August 9 DCI World Championships Division II/III Finals College Park MD DCI1 94.350

August 10 DCI World Championships Quarter Finals College Park MD DCI17 74.500

Magic 2002:

August 7 World Championships - Division II & III Finals Madison WI DCI 1 99.050

August 8 World Championships Quarterfinals Madison WI DCI11 87.150

August 9 World Championships Semifinals Madison WI DCI 10 87.100

August 10 World Championships Finals Madison WI DCI11 84.850

Capital Regiment 2002:

August 7 World Championships - Division II & III Finals Madison WI DCI2 96.500

August 8 World Championships Quarterfinals Madison WI DCI17 79.300

August 9 World Championships Semifinals Madison WI DCI17 77.350

Mandarins 2002:

August 7 World Championships - Division II & III Finals Madison WI DCI 3 95.800

August 8 World Championships Quarterfinals Madison WI DCI19 78.050

Frankly, looking at the scores above and comparing them to last year, it looks like the Mandarins are now scoring in the same area they would have been had they been an OC corps and simply chosen to go one more round. It's mostly a touring and perception thing for them. The same thing goes will all of the division II/OC corps that have recently gone WC. It looks like it's just the touring model has changed. The scoring results haven't for these particular corps, yet.

As far as last year goes, my guess is that maybe BDB would in the low 80s and scoring around Spirit, Crossmen, and Pacific Crest. BDB would have been fighting for that 16th, 17th, 18th, or 19th spot with the above mentioned corps. Looks like SCVC in 2000 ( where they won OC and got 17th) to me., but nowhere near Magic 2002 ( where they won OC and made finals).

Oregon Crusaders may have been scoring in the mid to high 70s. Spartans probably would had been there too.

The other two OC corps corps Oregon Crusaders and Spartans would have been duking it out with Teal Sound, Mandarins, and Jersey Surf. Not much change there if you look at the scoring history.

So you could say that there are 3 or 4 OC corps that could hang with 5 WC corps. There's 1 OC corps that could have possibly hang with maybe 8 WC corps. Had SCVC attend, maybe they would have added another OC corps to compete with WC corps.

201 97.550 Blue Devils B Space

202 94.000 Oregon Crusaders Dance of the Flames

203 93.600 Spartans Fire Dance

20492.200 Revolution Fade to Black

18 80.350 Pacific Crest The Maze

19 78.100 Mandarins To Dream of Far Away Lands

20 77.800 Teal SoundIn the Presence of Enemies

21 75.700Jersey Surf Living the Dream

22 74.600 Cascades Silver Lining

23 73.950 Pioneer Corps Prayer

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Okay spread out how? I was under the impression that the top five or six in OC were good enough to take down the bottom 10 or so in WC, but perhaps I am wrong. I was just wondering what technicalities made WC better than OC.

They just attract more talent

Look at the past couple of years - Surf and Teal

Surf was a top dog in OC (2nd in '07 and 3rd in '08) when they moved up to WC in '09. They beat Pio and Cascades in '09 as well as '10.

Teal was top 5 in '08 and top 4 in '09, then moved up to WC in 2010. They beat Pio, Cascades, and Surf.

So It's not impossible by any means to beat a couple of WC corps - and I think that some OC corps can. But the bottom 10 WC corps? no.

BDB is the only one that I can see topping teal and maybe one or two others.