Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta

Most of you know "Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta" by Bela Bartok from its famous performance with Star of Indiana in 1993. Star's version is a very good representation of this wonderful piece, yet I'd suggest listening to all four movements from the original version of Bartok's famous work. It should give you a different view of the piece, besides just hearing it from Star '93. Oh, and I'd suggest not listening to it in the dark. :tongue:

Movement 1 -

Movement 2 -

Movement 3 -

Movement 4 -

Then listen to the Concerto for Orchestra.

Bartok is a VERY undervalued composer.

• Like 2

I had to sing the Mvt I fugue for one of my Aural Skills classes a few years ago. It was tough to read, but it really helps with understanding what most people would consider "odd"-tonal melodies.

Highly recommended piece of music! :thumbup:

SCV 2010 and Star 1993 used mostly Mvt II & IV in their arrangements.

Bartok is a VERY undervalued composer.

Anthony Tommasini, a classical music critic for the New York Times, last week completed a project of listing "the greatest composers" of all time, and they were:

1. Bach

2. Beethoven

3. Mozart

4. Schubert

5. Debussy

6. Stravinsky

7. Brahms

8. Verdi

9. Wagner

10. Bartok

So Bartok is appreciated in some corners.

VERY undervalued by whom?

By people that do not go out of their way to listen to classical music. It's obvious to those in the know, but the average music listener who has obviously heard of Bach and Mozart has not necessarily heard of Bartok. You hardly ever hear Bartok played in the background of college football games like some of those other composers. You'll also hear Stravinsky, Debussy, Wagner, Verdi as incidental music in commercials and such.

All those other composers are much more omnipresent because their music is less scary to an idle ear.

Edited by jplattSCV

BTW, every time I get a link like these, I end up spending an hour finding great new stuff that I didn't know about before. God I love You Tube. yeah, I said it! I love you tube. When it leads me around a bunch of good stuff like these, what's not to love?

didn't like it when I had to play it many years back, didn't like it on the field and I still don't like it

So can I do an OP about Radar Love and Ministry’s far superior version because the xmen played it ?

You can do whatever you want.

By the way, I think your signature discredits anything you have to say.

edit

I apologize. At first glance I thought you were referring to corps that weren't in the G8 or G7 or whatever it's called. Sorry. (walks away sheepishly)

Edited by warsawstory