[Biggest Challenge] #1 : Money

1. Music people make music. Business people know business. Better management from people who have worked to know the system and can get better deals out of what corps have.

2. More corps. Since we have TOC events let's make the most out of them. The G8 have the most money, and while they can't throw it around, they have more slack than a group like Imperial Sound. I say more regional corps who do a small regional tour with the G8 separating into groups of say 2 (ie 1st and 8th place go to one event, 2nd and 7th, 3rd and 6th, 4th and 5th all go to others) and use each of those to draw a crowd to smaller competitions and then have one large regional featuring the G8 and all the smaller corps who will compete. The G8 are there to draw a crowd, while the rest are competing for show order in a true regional later in the season when they are the only corps competing for a right to represent at prelims in a rotating location. Corps have a right to forfeit their prelim eligibility if they cannot afford it allowing another corps to take their spot. I'd also include a G8 for open class who make a smaller tour (perhaps not separating at all) to showcase open class talent.

For the smaller regional corps I don't think I'm going to far to ask them to share and borrow pit equipment from visiting corps and local high school and college bands. World Class nonG8 corps can tour as they please. They are not barred from G8 events. I do not think they would be required to start their tour at home. All they must do is guarantee they are available for the final regional of their region. The corps I'm talking about staying around their region are all open class. World class corps can simply use most recent scores to determine show order which will naturally be later than the regional corps who played in the early regionals for their spot.

In short. Have an open class and world class G8 to use to draw crowd. Have smaller corps to promote the activity and open it up to less fortunate people who cannot afford to be in a G8 corps. If a corps makes the top 8 they have a right to withdraw from the G8 tour due to lack of finances, but would have an automatic by (As the rest of the G8 would) to prelims. I see a West coast region encompassing CA, OR, WA, NV, ID, AZ, and UT and if it ever occurs Mexico as well as BC Canada. A Northern region for: MT, WY, ND, SD, NE, MN, IA and Canadian Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. A South region for: NM, CO, KS, OK, MO, AR, LA. Southeast for: TN, NC, SC, FL, GA, AL, and MS. Midwest for: WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, and KY and Canadian Ontario. And a Northeast region for: ME, NH, VT, NY, PA, WV, VA, DC, DE, MD, NJ, CT, RI, MA and Canadian Quebec, Nova Scotia, etc. I realize my regions are a bit far reaching as they are, but I'd leave it to the regions to determine if they desire a subregional. The two G8's wouldn't necessarily travel together but they would start their own tours and compete at more minor competitions and exhibitions until they meet a predetermined start point where they begin the Tour of Champions.

3. Better advertising means more revenue. Instead of being so fly by night, I think corps should show up and stick around for a day or two. While this would increase gas costs, and extend the touring period, I think it'd be worth it. Corps could have cheap previews concerts or offer their services around the city. They could hand out coupons for cheaper tickets to the next show or even limited edition standardized coupons for auditioning at any drum corps under the DCI umbrella. The audition fee is not a huge barrier to those who march, but if it's free to audition for any corps (local especially) I believe more people will be willing to try it out. More people trying it, more people sticking around. Bigger fan base.

DCI WC corps do NOT want to see more corps in DCI, and many open class corps don't want to see more corps in DCI either. I say this from first hand experience. In my opinion based upon my first hand experience, DCI could not care any less about new DCI start up corps then they do. I say this as a former startup corps director who even after begging and asking dozens of times to dozens of DCI employees, received ZERO help from DCI.

1. Music people make music. Business people know business. Better management from people who have worked to know the system and can get better deals out of what corps have.

2. More corps. Since we have TOC events let's make the most out of them. The G8 have the most money, and while they can't throw it around, they have more slack than a group like Imperial Sound. I say more regional corps who do a small regional tour with the G8 separating into groups of say 2 (ie 1st and 8th place go to one event, 2nd and 7th, 3rd and 6th, 4th and 5th all go to others) and use each of those to draw a crowd to smaller competitions and then have one large regional featuring the G8 and all the smaller corps who will compete. The G8 are there to draw a crowd, while the rest are competing for show order in a true regional later in the season when they are the only corps competing for a right to represent at prelims in a rotating location. Corps have a right to forfeit their prelim eligibility if they cannot afford it allowing another corps to take their spot. I'd also include a G8 for open class who make a smaller tour (perhaps not separating at all) to showcase open class talent.

For the smaller regional corps I don't think I'm going to far to ask them to share and borrow pit equipment from visiting corps and local high school and college bands. World Class nonG8 corps can tour as they please. They are not barred from G8 events. I do not think they would be required to start their tour at home. All they must do is guarantee they are available for the final regional of their region. The corps I'm talking about staying around their region are all open class. World class corps can simply use most recent scores to determine show order which will naturally be later than the regional corps who played in the early regionals for their spot.

In short. Have an open class and world class G8 to use to draw crowd. Have smaller corps to promote the activity and open it up to less fortunate people who cannot afford to be in a G8 corps. If a corps makes the top 8 they have a right to withdraw from the G8 tour due to lack of finances, but would have an automatic by (As the rest of the G8 would) to prelims. I see a West coast region encompassing CA, OR, WA, NV, ID, AZ, and UT and if it ever occurs Mexico as well as BC Canada. A Northern region for: MT, WY, ND, SD, NE, MN, IA and Canadian Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. A South region for: NM, CO, KS, OK, MO, AR, LA. Southeast for: TN, NC, SC, FL, GA, AL, and MS. Midwest for: WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, and KY and Canadian Ontario. And a Northeast region for: ME, NH, VT, NY, PA, WV, VA, DC, DE, MD, NJ, CT, RI, MA and Canadian Quebec, Nova Scotia, etc. I realize my regions are a bit far reaching as they are, but I'd leave it to the regions to determine if they desire a subregional. The two G8's wouldn't necessarily travel together but they would start their own tours and compete at more minor competitions and exhibitions until they meet a predetermined start point where they begin the Tour of Champions.

3. Better advertising means more revenue. Instead of being so fly by night, I think corps should show up and stick around for a day or two. While this would increase gas costs, and extend the touring period, I think it'd be worth it. Corps could have cheap previews concerts or offer their services around the city. They could hand out coupons for cheaper tickets to the next show or even limited edition standardized coupons for auditioning at any drum corps under the DCI umbrella. The audition fee is not a huge barrier to those who march, but if it's free to audition for any corps (local especially) I believe more people will be willing to try it out. More people trying it, more people sticking around. Bigger fan base.

DCI 5 Regional Qualifier System

I honestly believe that by dividing the country into 5 regions: North,

South, East, West and Mid, and by holding 5 regional qualifiers that

decide which corps get to compete during DCI championship week, that

this will rejuvinate DCI.

Each corps is assigned to a region (including any international

corps), they compete at one of the 5 regional qualifiers, and if they

make the top 5 in a regional qualifier they are invited to compete at

the DCI quarterfinals.

ALL jr corps, regardless of size, age, ability, etc. will be invited

to compete at one of the 5 DCI regional qualifiers.

Corps from every division will compete against each other at the 5

regional qualifiers, so a little corps with 15 kids in it will have a

real chance to compete against a corps like Phantom etc.

That will excite and motivate kids and parents, and save corps a ton of travel expenses!

The NFL, NBA, etc. all have playoffs. This [regional-division] elimination style brings in more excitement then if all teams were invited to play on superbowl week.

This one proposed change will solve DCI's attrition problem I

guarantee you.

Dr. Michael E. Schmidt

Edited by Howdy

In my high school, we only went to two or three contests per year. While we also had football games, I don't see many kids not doing drum corps just because of a short touring time. If a corps can only afford to go to regionals, then you better believe they're going to work their hearts out to make themselves shine at regionals so they get some publicity. I recall Phantom Regiment working with Beefaroo to make sure kids who were short on money had a job they could do. Why not have more corps teaming up with local shops and restaurants?

I think corps could do more to raise awareness of upcoming shows. Instead of getting to town the afternoon of the show, get there the day before, and play a feature at the local minor league baseball game, do an impromptu parade around the mall parking lot, get on the news, impress people, hand out flyers and coupons for last minute tickets. You'd have to tweak the schedule somewhat, but some local promotion like this by one or two corps before each show would go a long way towards increasing attendance at shows that aren't sold out ahead of time.

1. I have posted in the past that corps should be performing more often (For money) than they currently do (basic spirit of what you are saying). Practice less.....perform more during a typical corps practice/show day. Exhibition in the morning...some practice in the afternoon..show at night. I understand that some won't like the idea of practicing less. To me...it's more important to pay the bills on time and bring awareness as to what drum corps is to the folks in the many communities corps visit each summer than to practice..practice..practice. Even free exhibitions (once and a while) would help. Picture an exhibition in a busy town center or mall. Showcase this is what corps is....and by the way....we are performing at your local school stadium tonight with 5 other groups. Free hotdog at the show if you buy a ticket now (Get creative). By the way...I wouldn't expect corps to do this everyday....but twice a week should be feasible.

2. Shorten spring training

3. Reschedule the tour so corps are spending less time traveling abroad and spending more time locally

1. I have posted in the past that corps should be performing more often (For money) than they currently do (basic spirit of what you are saying). Practice less.....perform more during a typical corps practice/show day. Exhibition in the morning...some practice in the afternoon..show at night. I understand that some won't like the idea of practicing less. To me...it's more important to pay the bills on time and bring awareness as to what drum corps is to the folks in the many communities corps visit each summer than to practice..practice..practice. Even free exhibitions (once and a while) would help. Picture an exhibition in a busy town center or mall. Showcase this is what corps is....and by the way....we are performing at your local school stadium tonight with 5 other groups. Free hotdog at the show if you buy a ticket now (Get creative). By the way...I wouldn't expect corps to do this everyday....but twice a week should be feasible.

You don't even need to practice less really. I know that Crown and Cadets do this event for high-school students where they spend the day with the corps, watch the practice, get feed back from the staff, learn some music with the corps etc. You don't have to even spend time performing, all you need to do is practice and make money by letting people get involved with the practice! lol

Edited by charlie1223

They already have trouble finishing their shows by the end of June... :ph34r::3

3. Reschedule the tour so corps are spending less time traveling abroad and spending more time locally

Unless ofcourse there is more money to be had if they travel "abroad" then if they stay locally... It depends on where you are.

Forgot one....

3a. Reschedule the annual rules/business meeting to occur during one of the events during the course of the season where all member corps are in attendance instead of having the Januals. Another hobby I follow has their annual meetings during the national convention week when all are in attendance (vs. a separate meeting) and so does the state of NJ volunteer fire department convention.

They already have trouble finishing their shows by the end of June... :ph34r::3

This pre-tour month long of all-day's is a relatively new concept (I believe). Maybe they have to start getting more realistic as to what can be accomplished/achieved. It wouldn't bother me the least if a corps has 200 pages of drill vs. 240 pages.

Unless ofcourse there is more money to be had if they travel "abroad" then if they stay locally... It depends on where you are.

well....that's obvious.....I don't know the numbers (not sure anyone has analyzed this) :rolleyes: