Did you?

I hate constructing polls so here it is...

I contend young people who came to DCI over the past 10-15 years from the marching band world, where guitars and synths and amps and vocals are now the norm in a show, don't see these additions to drum corps as a problem.

I also contend, if you came to drum corps BECAUSE it was not High School Marching Band, you are more apt to hold these changes with a certain amount of angst.

Most likely overgeneralizing, par usual. But, I am sure those who blur the lines will jump up and say, "Nada."

• Like 1

I hate constructing polls so here it is...

I contend young people who came to DCI over the past 10-15 years from the marching band world, where guitars and synths and amps and vocals are now the norm in a show, don't see these additions to drum corps as a problem.

I also contend, if you came to drum corps BECAUSE it was not High School Marching Band, you are more apt to hold these changes with a certain amount of angst.

Most likely overgeneralizing, par usual. But, I am sure those who blur the lines will jump up and say, "Nada."

I came to drum corps because it's not high school marching band. I love being around 149 other individuals who want to work hard, who want to produce the best show that they can, and who are committed to doing that.

However, I guess the reason why I'm okay with the new additions is because I was in a marching band not to long ago.

• Like 3

I have 2 guys helping me teach a high school drumline. Both march championship caliber corps. Both marched in BOA finalist/champion level high schools and WGI top-level scholastic lines.

They do not like electronics and amplification in drum corps and would burst an aneurysm if DCI adds woodwinds. But will likely continue to march afterwards (provided the aneurysm thing allows for that).

I think Tom is referring to something like this:

I was born into an era where cars already had power steering, automatic transmissions, and air conditioning; my dad on the other hand was born into an era where cars had to be steered with a lot of muscle, shifted with just a stick and a clutch, and the only air conditioning was rolling down the windows. My dad would sometimes state, "These contraptions of today are not Real cars, Real cars do not have all of these mamby-pamndy things like airrrrrr conditioning". I would just roll my eyes and smile because (to me) those items certainly were parts of a real car.

• Like 3

it's kinda like the new crowd that pshaw's the G bugle, saying it was always out of tune, etc. they obviously never saw a show live that had G bugles. 98 BD was NOT out of tune. 84 Garfield was NOT out of tune. 87 Skyryders were NOT out of tune. 93 Star? out of tune? really?

they hear recordings and think that's what it sounded like. they are wrong.

• Like 1

I think it’s lazy, spurious, sloppy, arrogant and condescending to imply that those opposed to specific changes are merely older and having difficulty adjusting to changes

Would you make such broad based age related assumptions in other areas? do all older people automatically possess wisdom or vote conservatively? Conversely, do all youngins vote liberal and reject tradition? Do all kids love Lady Gaga and do all adults hate her?

people like what they like, taste is subjective

• Like 3

If you have a problem with amps, you really have a problem with the instruments they are amplifying. What does an amp do? It makes the sound going into it louder. Has this changed things for the better? HECK YES! Now there's bass from the bottom half of a marimba. Now groups don't have to pound the keys, producing two tones from one stroke. Now more parts can be written (one per player) instead of having to double every line. So I'm fine with amps.

Vocals have been used for years and years in DCI, so I'm not sure why people get bent out of shape now. Because it's louder?

Synths and guitars are alright by me, as they still require a skilled musician to play and perform with them. So what if they're not acoustic? Their sound can be shaped and molded in the same way a trumpet/tuba/whatever's sound can.

• Like 5

If you have a problem with amps, you really have a problem with the instruments they are amplifying. What does an amp do? It makes the sound going into it louder. Has this changed things for the better? HECK YES! Now there's bass from the bottom half of a marimba. Now groups don't have to pound the keys, producing two tones from one stroke. Now more parts can be written (one per player) instead of having to double every line. So I'm fine with amps.

Vocals have been used for years and years in DCI, so I'm not sure why people get bent out of shape now. Because it's louder?

Synths and guitars are alright by me, as they still require a skilled musician to play and perform with them. So what if they're not acoustic? Their sound can be shaped and molded in the same way a trumpet/tuba/whatever's sound can.

Over 9,000 likes.

As I said before, amp'd pit instruments are ok, as long as they are amp'd correctly. This doesn't happen all the time. And no matter what you say, an amp'd sound is different than a natural sound. Possibly not to you, but to some people, and scientifically, the sound is changed, especially with the crap speakers drum corps use. Amps were proposed as a way to shrink the pit...it's done the opposite.

It takes a skilled musician to play a bassoon, too. Do you want those out there? (probably not the right person to ask, I'm sure.) It takes a skilled musician to play a symphonium...wheelharp...harmonica...ukelele.

There's a different topic for homogenization, which bringing new instruments into drum corps does.

• Like 1

Plexiglass under the keyboards was enough to be able to hear them...although even before that they could be heard. Obviously, new people today already have massive hearing loss from listening to heavy metal and rap crap in their cranked up iPods or they'd be able to hear things well enough and realize that amps aren't needed.

hmmm is he serious or ?????

• Like 1