Did you?

Plexiglass under the keyboards was enough to be able to hear them...although even before that they could be heard. Obviously, new people today already have massive hearing loss from listening to heavy metal and rap crap in their cranked up iPods or they'd be able to hear things well enough and realize that amps aren't needed.

hmmm is he serious or ?????

also, drum corps used to play with volume dynamics...(i'm sure this statement will bring out the heat)

• Like 1

also, drum corps used to play with volume dynamics...(i'm sure this statement will bring out the heat)

:tongue:

I marched drum corps before I did marching band. I thought marching band was ridiculous. Looking back...it was. Now? U of Wisconsin marching band for example--talk about loud and crass and out of tune (which I thought was impossible with non-G instruments). And then there's the white clarinets....

Edited by FrankBeMe

it's kinda like the new crowd that pshaw's the G bugle, saying it was always out of tune, etc. they obviously never saw a show live that had G bugles. 98 BD was NOT out of tune. 84 Garfield was NOT out of tune. 87 Skyryders were NOT out of tune. 93 Star? out of tune? really?

they hear recordings and think that's what it sounded like. they are wrong.

I saw my first drum corps show in 1968. I have not heard nearly as much bad playing on the Bbs as I did back with the Gs. But, there were more corps, so it would figure there would be more bad playing corps.

I think it’s lazy, spurious, sloppy, arrogant and condescending to imply that those opposed to specific changes are merely older and having difficulty adjusting to changes

Would you make such broad based age related assumptions in other areas? do all older people automatically possess wisdom or vote conservatively? Conversely, do all youngins vote liberal and reject tradition? Do all kids love Lady Gaga and do all adults hate her?

people like what they like, taste is subjective

It is all those things....but it ain't false.

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Yes, as far back as 2010 corps used to play with dynamics...

facets of musicality like dynamics, tone quality, and intonation are more consistently implemented from top to bottom in dci corps now than they ever have been, IMO.

of course, i don't always agree with the choices designers make, and wish there was more face-peeling stuff.

• Like 3

I became a fan of drum corps in about 1998, and finished my marching career in 2002. My age out year would have been 2006. So I've been around for B flat, A&E, and snyths, and my attitude towards these changes and additions has been mixed. I totally support and understand the move to B flat, though I do remember (and miss) the unique sound of the G horns, even though I was only around for a few seasons of that era. Amplification I mostly like because of what it does for the pit, and corps finally seem to be learning that they can't half-### it. Still some balance issues, and I think there always will be. Amplified spoken voice I could do without, as it almost always cringingly bad. Singing is fine, but it's yet to be done well in drum corps. Maybe the Cadets will change that this summer. Synths would be fine if it weren't for the cheesy patches some corps have insisted on using, and the nearly ubiquitous thunderous goo.

On the whole, I understand why designers and instructors want the same tools in drum corps they have available in other activities. Have great things been accomplishment because of the changes? Sure. Have these changes brought in any new fans? No. Are band kids more attracted drum corps because it is "more like band"? No, and I find that argument to be disingenuous. Was anyone ever discouraged from marching by G horns, lack of amps, no synths, etc.? No, everyone who marched in the 2000s would have marched with or without these changes. Except for synth players and a couple of vocalists. And Teal Sound's guitarist. Were these changes necessary to keep drum corps from stagnating and "falling behind" other activities? Maybe, but I have my doubts. Would I have been just as happy if these changes had never been implemented? Yes, but I can't speak for everyone else my age.

Are the changes going to drive me away from drum corps? Certainly not. Only full blown marching woodwind sections would do that, and that ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Rifuarian

I think Tom is referring to something like this:

I was born into an era where cars already had power steering, automatic transmissions, and air conditioning; my dad on the other hand was born into an era where cars had to be steered with a lot of muscle, shifted with just a stick and a clutch, and the only air conditioning was rolling down the windows. My dad would sometimes state, "These contraptions of today are not Real cars, Real cars do not have all of these mamby-pamndy things like airrrrrr conditioning". I would just roll my eyes and smile because (to me) those items certainly were parts of a real car.

The analogy doesn't work. Nothing against your Dad ( but remember, you brought him up in this thread ) but I don't know too many people... young or older than dirt itself... that preferred rolling down the window, over air conditioning in their automobile. That's not to say that they're wern't SOME people that didn't like air conditioning but my guess 98% of people... of any age... preferred driving a car with air conditioning over a car with no air conditioning. I also feel badly that your Dad apparently never learned how to turn on the air conditioning in his car, and as a result, he preferred to roll down the windows for his air conditioning, rather than simply hitting the AC switch to generate the AC to cool himself in his car.

Thus, the comparison with the addition of air conditioning to automobiles with that of the addition of ( say) rock guitars to Drum Corps just doesn't work, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

The analogy doesn't work. Nothing against your Dad ( but remember, you brought him up in this thread ) but I don't know too many people... young or older than dirt itself... that preferred rolling down the window, over air conditioning in an automobile. That's not to say that they're wern't SOME people that didn't like air conditioning ( or an automatic ) but my guess 98% of people... of any age... preferred driving a car with air conditioning over a car with no air conditioning. I also feel badly that your Dad apparently never learned how to turn on the air conditioning in his car, and as a result, he preferred to roll down the windows for his air conditioning, rather than simply hitting the AC switch to generate the AC in his car.

Yes it does work: Many older VFW guys state that Timps should be carried (even though it makes them easier to play grounded) and therefore grounded Timps are not Real Drum Corps; that this mamby-pamby low mark time is cheating and that High Step Mark Time is Real Drum Corps. My dad said that Real Men drive Real Cars and Real Men did not need air conditioning. So, yes, it does work as an analogy.