An issue of Definition

Stu

Who gets to officially define what is and is not a drum & bugle corps? DCI, DCA, SDCA, DCNA, VFW, performing ensemble, or is it up to each individual? If we can come to an agreement on that, we can stop all this sniping. Now discuss...

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Who gets to define what drum corps is? I suppose it's the people who are running the show that get to define it: the directors, designers, staff, boards of directors, and governing bodies of those units. As long as they are in collaboration with each other there will be some uniform ideas about what drum corps is. The rest of us will have to accept what they do or walk away.

end thread?

• Like 1

Why do you want to end the thread? To stifle other responses? To concede that all of our discussions of what is and is not a drum corps is actually idiotically futile and infantile? Why end the thread?

^^^^

this

• Like 1

each fan makes his own, personal definition.

You are the one who asked in another thread. "Is anything Sacred?". So to you, if there are a million fans there can also be a million different configurations of drum corps'; it is a completely relativistic type definition; and therefore nothing to you is sacred.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

So to you, if there are a million fans there can also be a million different configurations of drum corps'? It is a completely relativistic type definition?

I have brought this up before and IMHO THIS is probably the modern drum corps killer question. Pretty much drum corps today has NO defined product or something that makes it unique from a brass marching band. Talk about a marketing nightmare to try and sell outside the small community of drum corps. You will notice some people will not talk about this elephant sitting in the room..but my sig covers this.

BTW, as a side note this was brought up in 1999 as one of the more SERIOUS issues about allowing multi-key brass.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

I think the real question is "Who GOT to name it?"

And that answer is all the vets who had the foresight to see that such a thing might be a good thing.

Only a few (see post above) in its history have had the gonads to attempt to make it, and call it, something else.

Who gets to officially define what is and is not a drum & bugle corps? DCI, DCA, SDCA, DCNA, VFW, or is it up to each individual? If we can come to an agreement on that, we can stop all this sniping. Now discuss...

" Officially " ( in other words " legally " ) gets the naming rights ?

As to my knowledge, the answer would have to be...... " Nobody ".

In order to legally and officially have naming rights, one has to file a trademark request with the US Patent Office which gives the owner or owners the legal and official rights to a name. This " official " naming rights is recorded and no other entity can then utlilize this " official " naming right without that owner(s) expressed permission. Since it is my current understanding that no such " official " naming rights to " Drum and Bugle Corps " has been officially applied for and subsequently approved as a legal trademark name with the US Government, then the answer then as to who has the " official " authorization would have to be..... " nobody "...... Drum Corps International " ( DCI ), on the other hand, HAS been applied for, and is subsequently taken. No other entity may use the name " Drum Corps International " without the expressed permission of the current owners of this official named entity. As a follow up, should any current member leave the organization, they would be prohibited from using the name " Drum Corps International ( DCI)in any of their future endeavors. ' Hope this helps.

Edited by BRASSO