In Memoriam: Sandy McNeal

+

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the call from Gene Sharpley just before I went onstage for tonights gig. Sandy passed peacefully and without pain. Tonight I played for my brother. Sandy was playing in a band in Pittsburgh. He would come to Cincinnati and play in my band as recently as 2003. Nothing was more fun than to stand next to those white L.P. Congas and just get "lost" in the groove he put out. To do so while playing Bass along with him, was a "timekeepers" dream. For many years our lives were in public, drumcorps in particular and later as member(s) of stage bands. Irv Hurt, Dave Hurt and Sandy comprised perhaps the greatest Latin Percussion trio in DCA history. I was fortunate to become a "member" of that trio in 1989 wile we were members of Steel City Ambassadors. If one of us ate.... we ALL ate. It never mattered who had money and who didn't. We took care of eachother. Nobody went without. What I am remembering is not the shows, the scores or even the seasons.... I am remembering the commutes to Harrisburg, to multiple east coast show sites and that 14 hour drive to Syracuse Brigadiers in 1993. The "adventures" in three succesive Ford Aerostar Mini-vans from 1986 to 1996 and thousands of miles burned up along the way. The 1990 Steel City Pit of 11 members... all crammed into a seven passenger minivan driving back from I&E while Sandy was hanging out the side door greeting pedestrians! Sandy was never shy! I must have made at least five sequined ball caps in whatever color was applicable to the corps proper we were playing with. While DCA considers "us" great Latin Percussion players, To each of US: Hawthorne Caballeros were and ARE the "Gold Standard"! There are far too many "stories" too many adventures, too many comical moments to list here. There is a hole in my heart tonight, bigger than the Grand Canyon. Two of us have gone and two remain. My personal favorite memory of the four of us was as we all were walking through a stadium parking lot to "warmups": It was a small "parade" led by Sandy pushing Irv in his wheelchair, Dave with our stickbags and Irv's uniform top and me bringing up the rear, carrying Irv's artificial leg! Fran Haring remarked at one show that Westshores pit "looked like a double bill of Alice Cooper and James Brown".

I said to Sandy: "you don't look at all like Alice Cooper". If there ever was a definitive description of DCA as an activity, it would be this: A Fraternity. So many of us, so many corps members who count as brothers and sisters,their corpsmates! This is the great gift of DCA to its participants and fans! I will post funeral information as it becomes available. I am leaving for Pittsburgh. My Brother needs me.

Bear, have a safe drive to Pittsburgh! My heart goes out to you and Dave tonight and I will keep you all in my prayers as well. It was as much an honor as it was a pleasure to not only play as an ensemble with everyone, but also to get to know each of you all and share the fun off the field as well. As close as the four of you were, you also made everyone else who was in the pit feel like a part of your family as well. Unfortunately, due to my new position, I will not be able to make it to the funeral. I will be there in spirit! Sandy, thanks for all the great memories over the years!

Man.... this hits like a punch in the gut for both of us.

Prayers given for Sandy, his blood family, corps family and the Brothers....

Gotta crank up certain DVDs with a brew....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

RIP Mr Entertainment!

HB hang in there brother.

Donny

We have lost a lot of wonderful and amazing people and it is sad news to hear of Sandy's passing. Rest in Peace Sandy! Heaven's Drum and Bugle Corps has added some tremendous people.

Sincere condolences to you, Steve on the loss of your dear friend, and to all of Sandy's family, friends and his extended drum corps family.

May he rest in peace.

I've tried a couple of times to describe what it was like to perform with Sandy while I was in Steel City, but I really can't put it into words. Oddly enough, as fiery of a performer as Sandy was, it was the many times that he would give me a look of approval or encouragement during rehearsals or at shows that I remember most. Whether things were going well or not so well, Sandy could give you a sly smile and a nod and you knew things were going to be ok. We were still doing drum corps together and that was the important thing.

RIP my Brother. STEEL!!!