Last two minutes of the show go unjudged.

Howdy

As Jeff pointed out, GE judging did in fact continue after the gun. (Still don't know how we could ever be sure that music and visual judges wouldn't be effected by watching/listening to the "un judged" two minutes, but that's me....)

And the OP posited that the last two minutes would be programmed more fan friendly BECAUSE they wouldn't be judged. Of course, we can't look back at history to see if this was the case back then (as you suggest), because, as we all know, every minute of every show back in that era was pure awesomeness unlike the drivel that's forced up us today [/sarcasm].

My problem with the idea is that it's positioned as a way to get designers to make the fans happy. Seriously... think about how competitive this activity has gotten. .025 defined a champion just two and half years ago. Designers will then be forced to jam anything and everything on the sheets into 9 minutes (and they would go at it with gusto), and then we get 2 minutes of "happy stuff"?

I'm sorry, but if people aren't coming to shows because they don't like the 11 minute productions being fielded today (which is what the OP seems to be suggesting), then they're not going to flock back into the stands to sit through 9 minutes of it either....

actually...they may have watched. In fact I own a tape where you can pretty much tell he watched. But I can also tell you if he had included that portion in his final number, we wouldnt have won the show.

and you're right. if you want to make fans happy, it's got to be throughout the entire 11 minutes

• Like 1

We do not agree about Bayone. Jeff I am not going to argue with you about them.

I never said that a corps had to park and blow for two minutes, the point is "Loud is beautiful".

Park and blow is lovely, just lovely, and I would like to see more.

Howdy, I think the major flaw with your argument is that it should solely be park and bark for that last 2 minutes. If you look back, the gun would be a chance for designers to also experiment without getting hit for ticks in execution/excellence. New drill moves, more technical music, etc. It was a chance for designers to experiment. We already have it on the front end of shows now. I don't think we need it on the tail.

• Like 1

Howdy, I think the major flaw with your argument is that it should solely be park and bark for that last 2 minutes. If you look back, the gun would be a chance for designers to also experiment without getting hit for ticks in execution/excellence. New drill moves, more technical music, etc. It was a chance for designers to experiment. We already have it on the front end of shows now. I don't think we need it on the tail.

You know when I first saw this thread I thought to myself that what a great idea it would be. The corps would really entertain the crowd with some entertainment. Then I read your post and I was like,,no,,,they would probably play some pre recorded crap and grab some woodwinds on the sideline and prance with some white bunnies.

Save me from that aggravation.

Non-judged portions of shows (pre-show now) are the dirtier parts of the show. Corps have no incentive to get that section to the level they achieve the rest of the show at. While this opens up creative aspects, I'd rather not hear a corps schlock through 30 seconds of music, only to suddenly snap into their real identity. Of course, the change isn't that dramatic, why not perform at your highest level at all times? Wouldn't that be a point of pride?

It seems to me that a lot of DCP posters remain closed minded to any suggestions for improving the activity. Here we have a viable suggestion and for the most part it's getting shot down, instead of conducting a civil discussion on how it could be utilized and incorporated into today's program.

This suggestion of Mikey's, as he's been asking to be called and is being ignored, is what I call a "retro" solution. I have noticed how the "retro" trend has grown in other aspects of life (ie: fashion trends, furniture manufacturing, music, ect...)and have been wondering of late if this same trend might have a similar impact on Drum Corps. It seems that most of you are in agreement that the activity is not thriving and I for one believe that "looking outside of the box" might be in order to turn things around.

• Like 1

It seems to me that a lot of DCP posters remain closed minded to any suggestions for improving the activity. Here we have a viable suggestion and for the most part it's getting shot down, instead of conducting a civil discussion on how it could be utilized and incorporated into today's program.

This suggestion of Mikey's, as he's been asking to be called and is being ignored, is what I call a "retro" solution. I have noticed how the "retro" trend has grown in other aspects of life (ie: fashion trends, furniture manufacturing, music, ect...)and have been wondering of late if this same trend might have a similar impact on Drum Corps. It seems that most of you are in agreement that the activity is not thriving and I for one believe that "looking outside of the box" might be in order to turn things around.

Just because someone makes a suggestion doesn't mean it needs to be universally accepted as a good idea (see: PowerPoint Presentation). It's being shot down because it's not "viable", or would do nothing to improve fan attendance as Mikey seems to suggest.

If fans are truly not coming to shows because they don't like the programs being performed and would rather spend their money on something else, than the last two minutes going unjudged will do nothing to improve it.

I hate Nicolas Cage movies. I find his acting to be pretentious. This idea is akin to assuming I'll pay to go see one of his movies if his character is killed off the last 15 minutes of the film.

Nope....

It's being shot down because the OP is a silly goose. It simply won't work and wouldn't be utilized to go backwards, anyway. Corps have pre-shows now and what is done? Experimentation. What do you REALLY thing two more minutes of unadjudicated time will lead to? Howdy's cute park 'n bark fantasy? No. Howdy's assertion isn't valid and that is why no one is agreeing with Howdy.

• Like 1

Just because someone makes a suggestion doesn't mean it needs to be universally accepted as a good idea (see: PowerPoint Presentation). It's being shot down because it's not "viable", or would do nothing to improve fan attendance as Mikey seems to suggest.

If fans are truly not coming to shows because they don't like the programs being performed and would rather spend their money on something else, than the last two minutes going unjudged will do nothing to improve it.

I hate Nicolas Cage movies. I find his acting to be pretentious. This idea is akin to assuming I'll pay to go see one of his movies if his character is killed off the last 15 minutes of the film.

Nope....

I never said it should be accepted, what I said is that it should be discussed to determine if it actually a "viable" idea or not. By simply saying that it won't work, without backing it up as to why it won't work, is why I'm feeling that you're being closed minded on this suggestion.

We all know that Drum Corps performances have, for the most part, become boring. It wasn't just one thing that broke it, it'll take more than one thing to fix it. Could this suggestion be incorporated with other changes, and now all of those changes help us fans that have left to come back?

I never said it should be accepted, what I said is that it should be discussed to determine if it actually a "viable" idea or not. By simply saying that it won't work, without backing it up as to why it won't work, is why I'm feeling that you're being closed minded on this suggestion.

I think there's been plenty of "why" in this thread.

[

We all know that Drum Corps performances have, for the most part, become boring. It wasn't just one thing that broke it, it'll take more than one thing to fix it. Could this suggestion be incorporated with other changes, and now all of those changes help us fans that have left to come back?

DangerWillRobinson.jpgI

Edited by corpsband