Worst disaster show you ever marched in.

2005 Music City Legend Home show. No one was really comfortable with the drill. Lots of 1/2 off 1 1/4 off strange designs. Nothing flowed nothing made sense.

After reviewing and learning new drill all afternoon long we all sensed it was going to be a disaster. Everyone was on edge.

Sure enough,,lots of collisions,,near misses and large amounts of suck.

Had some bad runs since but none to equal that disaster.

Edited by camel lips

In '93 we spent about two weeks, IIRC, in a midseason break in the Midwest. We made a ton of changes to the show - new drill, music rewrites, major uni refresh, et cetera. Our first competition out of the gate was going to be our opportunity to unveil a heavily retooled show.

On the opener, the backfield conductor started the hornline off about two beats behind the pit. The result? We spent the next 7+ minutes - until the closer, really - completely out of sync. Imagine the worst case of phasing you've ever heard, cube it, and that will approach what we put on the field that night. It was pretty much the most humiliating show I ever marched. :grouphug:

1975 Hasbrouck Heights, NJ.

A Friday night show, back in the days when we all had day jobs during the season.

It wasn't a good year for us to begin with. This show was the lowlight. Score somewhere in the 50s.

Not sure if any marching members will remember this one from Crossmen 1999.

We were performing our show at Giants Stadium. There was one part in our closer 'Appalachian Morning' when we we playing backfield. On the turn around we realized the drum majors hand were not with what we were playing at all. Its sometimes real hard when all you hear is the echo bounces of all the stands and side walls. Nice big ensemble tear right there. It was very embarrassing. Again, not sure if anyone remembers this, but I sure did.

1969 Delevan, WI. That was BITD when shows ended on the right endzone and before it was commonplace to enter or exit from the corners. For our closer we were supposed to keep the form straight into the endzone. Funny thing though, as we were moving towards the endzone the goalposts were moving! It seems that the grass had been cut on an angle and we were following the cut towards the back right corner. The next year we started our show from the back left corner.

Surprised no one has brought up '82 SCV. BUT... it's still one of my favorite drum corps moments and one of the best horn ripples I've seen. :cool:

Nope, not gunna take the bait! :doh:

But the worst show that summer, field-wise, was Livermore, CA. The field was so bad (dry, ruts, dusty), the phrase of the summer was borne (for the contras): "The field sucks, so I guess we're going to have to play louder!" For the rest of the summer, any time we had something to complain about, it was always followed with "...I guess we'll have to play louder." Kind of like adding "in bed" to the end of a fortune cookie, lol.

Our worst show was in Denver, only because I recall seeing it happen on the jumbo-tron whilst marching, lol. The rotating, moving, telescoping circles in the closer came apart at some point the other side, and it looked like a baby's head coming through the birth canal. We still won that show, somehow.

Maybe that marching moment stunk, but the Slammin' Pants and playing loud helped us win that night and put the DC world on notice that '84 SCV was not going to be trifled with. I thought the exhibition show we did at the San Jose Earthquakes Major League Soccer game was worse, seeing as we had no yard lines or hashes to work with at all and everyone was in the wrong spot at the end of opener.

geico-mike-mcglone.jpg

"Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance? Can a corps still win Ensemble Visual with a perfect 10.0 after witnessing a mass of its humanity cascading over each other worse than a waterfall?"

<insert Whitewater Finals video clip here>

My SWA "Wanna get away?" moment was DCI San Antonio 1985 when the "wardrobe assistant" in the Tunnel of Doom reached out to grab the green pants garb I'd already torn off, and, as I flew past him, he took the pants AND accidentally snagged the green-striped tunic overlay and ripped that way too. Presto! White stripe & no star, all punctuated by the big horn entrance. IIRC, up until that point in the season we didn't have a contingency plan outlining what to do in case we had a wardrobe malfunction of that magnitude; all I know is both of us got an earful and then some from GR. Hilarious now, not so much then.

Edited by TRacer

in 1984 our first show of the season was our first show back on the field after folding in 1983. The DM forgot to give the corps a horns up command before he started counting off the opener. the drum line had no idea there was a problem and that the horns didn't have their horns up. We played the first measure and when we didn't hear the horns playing we all just kinda played the first measure again and the horns had gotten their horns up by then and started the show with an impromptu 4 count drum intro. The next day at rehearsal the staff took out all horns up commands and had the horns come up during the DM's count off of the tune.

Not a bad recovery for a corps that was 95% rookies.

This was a personal disaster of mine.

San Antonio night show 2008.. first time we made a night show since 2004? Almost at the end of the show. After a big impact point I have a 3 to 5 out of a standstill for 6 counts... so I'm booking it. I'm right in front of the drum line. So of course there is a judge right in front of them, who was out of my view (if he was in my view I would have hit him anyway, lol) We hit HARD, I roll for like 4 yards, lose my Aussie, jump back up find my Aussie.. realize I got up in my my dot.. had NO clue what count we were on, stood there for a little bit, and finally my line caught up to me and I finished the show. Fun stuff. Judge was apologetic to the staff after. He caught me while I was in the air, that's why it was worse than it should have been. The video is posted some where out there.

Dave,

I remember this show... The hornline really sounded good in Secaucus that day. For me, the worst moment ever occurred during the "Zorba Circle" when after the dance, I ended up in front of the wrong horn. I picked up the horn and noticed that there was still a horn on the ground where we had completed the circle. Unfortunately, the horn I picked up was not my horn and the one on the ground was. Needless to say, I was emabrrassed that I picked up the wrong horn. Do you remember this?

Dennis

1979. Secaucus, NJ. A dirt field, a total downpour right as we started. Getting hit in the face by a wet, muddy flag whipping past my head. Not fun!

Oh, and we had to do an exhibition that night at the Sunriser's DCA show in those same wet uniforms.

79rain.jpg