Worst disaster show you ever marched in.

lol... I never knew! I don't feel so lonely now... was it... Tink? :ph34r:

Nope....

Nope....

Oooooh, I think I know... starts with a "Schr...."?

I wasn't sure he'd make it through the summer. Glad he did!

One of my most memorable moments of panic was actually after a show in Lacrosse in 79. We were in formation at retreat next to Blue Stars when the crowd all stood up at once to leave after the show. There was a strange darkening of the area in front of us, as the Wisconsin state birds, took flight. Being from Wyoming, I had never seen that many mosquitoes at one time. It was hard enought trying to deal with the incessant assaults from these blood-thirsty monsters, but, I saw the poor Blue Stars litterally fighting for their lives while wearing their famous "short-shorts". I was still covered with bites from head to toe and itched for days. :tongue::doh:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say 85 Madison Scouts, if you watch the vid.you can clearly see that we did not start the show. It was to loud, we did not hear the step off. 89 would be another choke show for me, way to much going on that weekend politically that it really drained the Corps and we choked a big move that night. I still hold some big grudges on a few about that weekend, it was really to bad cause if we would have defended our championship like every Corps had before us that we would have placed alot different. Cant live in the past though cause that show was badazz!

Worst disaster show I've marched in?

That's easy...

EVERY show my last two years in junior corps. :lol:

I was in a local-circuit corps that, shall we say, had seen better days. LOL. My last two years there, we sucked with a capital "S." Didn't break a 60 for two years... in local-circuit competition.

At the World Open in 1975, we entered the Class A (or I think at the World Open it was called Class B) prelims so we didn't have to butt heads with the big guns like Blue Devils, 27th, SC Vanguard, Muchachos, etc., since we had absolutely no chance whatsoever to even come within 30-35 points of them.

Turns out it didn't matter which class we entered. At prelims, we got our clocks cleaned by corps I had never heard of up until that point, and have never heard from since. :tongue:

'72 DCI Finals. We knew we had a chance to take the first DCI Championship. The season had gone well, Prelims went well. But the one thing I remember most is when OTL started. It felt like it was dragging on oh so slowly, almost as if we were marching through a swamp. I remember thinking at the time, "come ON guys, pick it UP!". I've been told by former horn players that they had over hyped before the show. If you watch the video brought to you by "Drum Corps World", we look clean and sound clean. It "looks" like a winning show. It just didn't "feel" like a winning show. We knew it, the staff knew it and what hurt the most was, Gail knew it. Ah well, too bad, so sad... We made up for it in '73 though... :thumbup:

You had to cut and reset in a show? I think that takes the cake, I can't even imagine what that would be like.

As for me, at Firstbeat in 09 (our first home show), I learned a harsh lesson about double and triple-checking the electronics setup before the show starts. Let's just say the frozen moment in the ballad was a little quieter than usual... not a fun night.

I was at that show! And I remember that moment! Question though: how was the sound played during the tenors solo right before Puck generated?

My junior year in HS, marching band days, we did a count off in the pit for the pre-show. Well this is the first game and we had a hell of a time putting on drill so we went to the first game with a Dr. Beat on the field. We had never marched without Dr. Beat yet. So here we are at halftime, and I'm the guy in the pit designated to signal the Dr. Beat girl to start it. Our signal was me waving my hand at her. I wave. Nothing. I wave again. Nothing. I look over and see her frantically checking the cord. She's panicking. So I just give the drum major a "screw it, I'm starting" look and I count off the pit myself. Majority of the hornline misses the first visual but they react and step off together. Show ended up making it to the end without falling apart, which is a wonder for a halftime performance a week after band camp! Drum major comes off of the podium after the show and hugs me.

• Like 3