If you were judging Finals 2010, where would you place the 23 WC corps

if the minnesota show wasnt rained out, would there have been a different outcome at finals, if not for all corps, for some corps?

Haha.. thats the wonderful thing about opinions.

I do think its funny that i get the "how dare you" when i suggest something but thats what most people spend their time here doing.

I just thought the show while musically executed well fell far short in effect. They had these costumes and props that were not part of any central thematic statement.

The brass was really good, the guard executed what they were given great, but again it was like "what am i looking at?". I would have had percussion, visual and effect all outside of the top 12 (well, top 16 probably).

I did not mean to suggest "how dare you". Just thought your one word description needed a bit of clarification.

I have no problem whatsoever with your opinion, although I happen to disagree. By the way, I thought the purpose of the costumes and props was pretty clear - to depict the backdrop of what was going on when Slaughter and Rhapsody were written - the construction of the N.Y. skyline...hence the scaffolding and the guard dressed like

20s/30s Steel Workers. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

I thought the judges got overall placement correct at finals. Sure, Bluecoats and Cavies closer, Blue Stars further back from SCV, etc... I also thought Spirit should have been closer to Troopers.

The one placement I think should have been swapped was Teal Sound and Mandarins...I thought Teal performed better and had a more effective program.

if the minnesota show wasnt rained out, would there have been a different outcome at finals, if not for all corps, for some corps?

Maybe. I think at that point in the season the Bluecoats could have come out in 1st. We were certainly ready to do so mentally before the storm hit. Though, none of us will ever know.

• Like 2

Maybe. I think at that point in the season the Bluecoats could have come out in 1st. We were certainly ready to do so mentally before the storm hit. Though, none of us will ever know.

I think your real competition at that point in the season was CC...BD was 2 pointing everyone and not really in reach all though the Texas, Atlanta, TN face-offs. The big story of that point in the season was you guys, CC and Cavies...what a ride!

I think your real competition at that point in the season was CC...BD was 2 pointing everyone and not really in reach all though the Texas, Atlanta, TN face-offs. The big story of that point in the season was you guys, CC and Cavies...what a ride!

Probably, but it would have been more fun to have that as our first competition with everyone, so we would know.

We were joking around at the end of June that we were "June Champions!" :worthy: because we had the highest score posted in the month of June. (Completely aware that it didn't matter at all lol)

• Like 1

1) BD- as much as it hurts hehe

2) Cavies

3) Bluecoats

4) Crown- drill killed them visually and musically

5) Phantom- I LOVE THIS SHOW I would almost put it in 7th though because it is rough. Drum line saved the corps. Hornline was okay, but was dirty, drill was pretty clean for the demand though.

6) Cadets- Liked the show, just never got into it.

7) SCV- 5-7 could be any of the past three corps in any order for me. I just LOVED this show too. The drill was just awesome and was so musical! I would love to see more of this... of course, corps would have to be more MUSICAL to have more MUSICAL drill. LOL But I understand that Bartok isn't everyone's cup of tea.

8) Blue Stars- GREAT ENERGY. In your face drum corps. I just felt like the field was a little too cluttered. They performed really well though.

9) BK- Design was pretty awesome. Music awesome. Drill a little dirty, but once they get used to Sully, and the technique it should get better.

10) Scouts- Very entertaining. Demand could have been a little higher and it should have been cleaner. Horns were good, but the high end was missing some presence and the low end was a little muddled. Big long chords were yummy even with the missing high end presence though.

11) Boston- meh- I saw it early on and liked it. Good music, they just couldn't hold me the entire show.

12) Glassmen- I actually liked their show. Pretty simple. Horns were better.. but I still don't like their sound... playing something other than Dynasty might help

13) Colts

14) Academy

15) Spirit- they performed well, and the show came together nicely.

16) Troop- meh

17) Crossmen- Musically pretty good, visually a bag of ###. Horns were a little weaker performance wise than 08 and 09(BALLS). They couldn't march... not to mention the visual design being sub par and the performance being even worse. Leon had a down year I'd say.

The rest I'm not familiar enough with, except PC is very close to Crossmen if not beating the Crossmen if they weren't the Crossmen. But I am so looking forward to the Crossmen this year, no matter where they place. they are FIGURING IT OUT! I think...

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Probably, but it would have been more fun to have that as our first competition with everyone, so we would know.

We were joking around at the end of June that we were "June Champions!" :worthy: because we had the highest score posted in the month of June. (Completely aware that it didn't matter at all lol)

Oh...it mattered!! And let me just say that you guys were awesome, and not only stirred emotion from the fans, but a great deal of respect from your top tier competition. I remember getting to Hattiesburg to link up with BD at rehearsal and when I arrived I ran into a senior staff and I said, "Man, you guys are kicking ###", to which he replied "Have you seen the Cavies and Bluecoats?" Just goes to show you, that a good dose of healthy respect keeps you energized and in touch with reality. Congrats on a great year!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 5

Actually, it was a skyscraper in New York City. The guard costumes were inspired by and based upon the famous 1932 New York Herald Tribune photo by Charles C. Ebbets of workers on the GE Building in Rockefeller Plaza. What may have looked like a railroad track on the field represented the girder seen in the photo.

lunch.jpg

Um, I'll say one thing... glad I'm not one of those guys.

a) that's plain scary

b) that is so unsafe

c) see a and b above, repeat x50