WGI-Type Unitards and DCI

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you could ever like DCI corps in WGI-type Unitards?

• Never
    • Maybe
    • Probably
    • Definitely

More images, this time all from Independent World Class last year:

15821-257-077S.jpg15821-282-037S.jpg15821-259-022S.jpg

Redline ----------------------------------------------------------- Riverside Community College ---------------------------- Eastside Fury

15821-252-076S.jpg15821-260-084S.jpg15821-286-080S.jpg

Matrix ------------------------------------------------------------ North Coast Academy ---------------------------- Music City Mystique

15821-277-025S.jpg15821-243-042S.jpg15821-264-096S.jpg

Pulse -------------------------------------------------------------- Aimachi ---------------------------------------------------- United Percussion

Before anyone else comments, I strongly suggest you watch the shows that these uniforms came from and see how much of an impact they had on the show. You'll have some success finding run-throughs on the-site-which-must-not-be-named.

Edited by doylejd

More images, this time all from Independent World Class last year:

15821-257-077S.jpg15821-282-037S.jpg15821-259-022S.jpg

Redline ----------------------------------------------------------- Riverside Community College ---------------------------- Eastside Fury

15821-252-076S.jpg15821-260-084S.jpg15821-286-080S.jpg

Matrix ------------------------------------------------------------ North Coast Academy ---------------------------- Music City Mystique

15821-277-025S.jpg15821-243-042S.jpg15821-264-096S.jpg

Pulse -------------------------------------------------------------- Aimachi ---------------------------------------------------- United Percussion

Before anyone else comments, I strongly suggest you watch the shows that these uniforms came from and see how much of an impact they had on the show. You'll have some success finding run-throughs on the-site-which-must-not-be-named.

jeepers

• Like 1

Please tell me that The Cadets are not doing this unitard costume thingy this summer, so I rest easily tonite.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Would I accept WGI-style unitards in DCI? Absolutely not, simple as that. They kill the entire ensemble's credibility in my opinion.

Really? They kill their credibility?

No matter how good they play, march, spin, or hit, their entire credibility is shot because of what they're wearing?

:blink:

Really? They kill their credibility?

No matter how good they play, march, spin, or hit, their entire credibility is shot because of what they're wearing?

:blink:

Not all their credibility, but in an activity that is half visual presentation counts for a lot. If it didn't matter then surely marching groups could save a load of cash by performing in t-shirts and shorts. I've seen some amazing performances at the WGI shows I've attended but I've never quite been able to take it seriously, partly because of the bizarre stuff some of these groups wear. Being innovative is one thing, but most of these outfits don't fall into that category. They're rarely effective, and usually have little clear connection to whatever nebulous theme the group is trying to convey.

Honestly, these types of outfits will probably be more effective in drum corps, which is good since drum corps uniforms are moving pretty quickly in this direction. Basketball courts are much more intimate than football fields, audiences are closer to the performers and can more easily see how bad these outfits look on individuals. There are several drum corps uniforms which are just as hideous up close, but which are effective when seen from a distance. Crown's unis from last year are a good exaample.

It is kind of funny... There are Dino's here like me only older saying that a unitard will not work because there is no military bearing... well what about the uniform that YOUR corps would wear back in the 60's and 70's with a satin blouse and black pants... Would that have a military bearing?

Also... Has anyone see the Seattle Imperials as presented by Stanley Knaub? I think they started wearing 1 pc suits in 1979 right? :thumbdown:

• Like 1

They're rarely effective, and usually have little clear connection to whatever nebulous theme the group is trying to convey.

That is simply not true. Just from last year, Mystique's outfits really helped boost the fantastical and whimsical ideas they were trying to convey. Aimachi's outfits, while quite bizarre, quite clearly represented ice and matched their theme perfectly. Riverside Community College did a steam-punk show and wore metal scraps and goggles, staples of steam-punk fashion. Occasionally you will have a theme of an intangible idea like Pulse did last year with "Worth the Wait." In that instance, they simply made something that worked for visual effect during movement.

If you missed these connections, it is not the fault of the designer, because these are pretty obvious.

On another note, why is everyone referring to these outfits as "unitards?" I think one could safely say that the vast majority of the uniforms in the percussion activity are actual shirts and pants.

Edited by doylejd
  • Like 1

That is simply not true. Just from last year, Mystique's outfits really helped boost the fantastical and whimsical ideas they were trying to convey. Aimachi's outfits, while quite bizarre, quite clearly represented ice and matched their theme perfectly. Riverside Community College did a steam-punk show and wore metal scraps and goggles, staple of steam-punk fashion. Occasionally you will have a theme of an intangible idea like Pulse did last year with "Worth the Wait." In that instance, they simply made something that work for visual effect during movement.

If you missed these connections, it is not the fault of the designer, because these are pretty obvious.

On another note, why is everyone referring to these outfits as "unitards?" I think one could safely say that the vast majority of the uniforms in the percussion activity are actual shirts and pants.

You are correct sir. I vote we officially rename them "Tards"

It is kind of funny... There are Dino's here like me only older saying that a unitard will not work because there is no military bearing... well what about the uniform that YOUR corps would wear back in the 60's and 70's with a satin blouse and black pants... Would that have a military bearing?

No. Not that particular style, anyway.

But even that style of uni had much more of a " military bearing" than any unitard shown on this thread, I would say.

But I havn't read a single comment on this thread about the need for any Corps uni to have a " military bearing ", so I'm at a loss as to what made you even bring this aspect into the thread discussion at all.

Edited by BRASSO