WGI-Type Unitards and DCI

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you could ever like DCI corps in WGI-type Unitards?

• Never
    • Maybe
    • Probably
    • Definitely

You are correct sir. I vote we officially rename them "Tards"

Well played sir.

That is simply not true. Just from last year, Mystique's outfits really helped boost the fantastical and whimsical ideas they were trying to convey. Aimachi's outfits, while quite bizarre, quite clearly represented ice and matched their theme perfectly. Riverside Community College did a steam-punk show and wore metal scraps and goggles, staple of steam-punk fashion. Occasionally you will have a theme of an intangible idea like Pulse did last year with "Worth the Wait." In that instance, they simply made something that work for visual effect during movement.

If you missed these connections, it is not the fault of the designer, because these are pretty obvious.

On another note, why is everyone referring to these outfits as "unitards?" I think one could safely say that the vast majority of the uniforms in the percussion activity are actual shirts and pants.

Very good points all around. WGI is a different animal in many respects. I think DCI corps are getting it right when the corps uniform has a hint of what the show is about, and the colorguard costume is the primary reflection the theme. Didn't BD's uni last summer have broken shards of "mirror" on the sash? Not blatant, but when one noticed, it was a very cool detail. I've always really liked Carolina Crown's uniform details, as well. Even 2010's. Maybe the Cadets will push the idea a bit. Sounds intriguing. Looking forward to the reveal!

Maybe I come from too different a perspective since I teach a WGI group, but I would love to see more groups embrace themed costumes.

For those unaware of what WGI outfits look like, here is a great gallery from one of last year's regionals: http://www.marching.com/photos/2010-wgi-percussion-regional-photos/index.php

Agree. Surf's "Schools Out" show a few years back succeeded in part, IMO, because of the costumes the corps wore instead of traditional uniforms.

• Like 1

the arm cropped panythose are my favorite part of that uniform.

panythose tee hee. They aren't pantyhose, believe me, I've worn them! Pantyhose are snaggy, those aren't. Unitards? I always thought they were leotards that dancers wear or like Nadia's Theme ;-)

1985-news-a.jpg

Agree. Surf's "Schools Out" show a few years back succeeded in part, IMO, because of the costumes the corps wore instead of traditional uniforms.

If they " succeeded " in it, then why'd they abandon it, and go back to their " traditional uniforms " ?

• Like 1