paradigm shift?

Paradigm shift? Yes. Backwards? Not bloodly likely.

And in deference to Lance (our generally-level headed Sherpa on Mt. DCP) I disagree, it's difficult to believe that DC music arrangers of the past decade had the thought ....."Well, here's our musical lineup this year, non-awesome and purposefully difficult to listen to....OK, let's do it!" :lookaround:

And I'm just not sure why so many on here think we need to go back to be good.

Really? The Blue Devils designers last year didn't think that loooonnngg segments of their show were purposefully difficult to listen to?? I hope thats not the case, because then I would have to call some really famous and respected people from this activity, "dumb"...

And for the record, I actually LIKED the blue devils show. It WAS hard to listen to. It was downright disgusting sometimes. I didn't mind though...it was an amazing production. Do I hope more corps follow suit...not really, for one, they wouldn't be able to pull it off, and two, I'm not sure how many things like that I could sit through. Additionally, having developed melodies that resemble the original tune is not 'moving backwards', because a lot of corps never stopped doing it. Honestly, I only saw about 60% of the corps last year, so i'm not even qualified to judge the trend, but for the most part, I was pretty happy with what I heard...

Edited by euponitone
  • Like 1

No one suggested that; and, quite frankly, that argument is as tired as the one it claims to refute.

We must move forward and innovate to be goozzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz :sleeping:

• Like 1

And in deference to Lance (our generally-level headed Sherpa on Mt. DCP) I disagree, it's difficult to believe that DC music arrangers of the past decade had the thought ....."Well, here's our musical lineup this year, non-awesome and purposefully difficult to listen to....OK, let's do it!" :lookaround:

Who said anything about going back? rolleyes.gif

Well, not me anyway, but I'm having a problem finding that person.

i'm going to look at it a different way. I see it going forward...merging what of the visual world has become great with (hopefully) what the music side has been lacking.

I also just thought of this:

walking out last year at Indy, with a majority of the crowd after the last score was read, I remember people talking about 2 visual moments....Cavies and the rifle and Crown's sad issue.

What I heard musically most was Crown's hornline, Phantoms drums, Boston's Conquest and Madison.

and I'd say musical commentary outweighed visual 8-1.

coll drill isn't going to pull ##### in the seats. good musical arrangements will, and DCI has had survey answers tell them so. So one would hope they're listening

Edited by Jeff Ream

Who said anything about going back? rolleyes.gif

Well, not me anyway, but I'm having a problem finding that person.

Keep looking Diogenes! :tongue:

My 2nd sentence was tongue in cheek of course, per my normal MO. However, Lance does suggest it in his subtitle and also suggested the last decade was lacking in it,,,,,whatever it is!

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, the answer is yes.

Right now, I fully expect 2011 to be more intent on awesome music overall from top to bottom in dci than in the past decade or so.

My half life in dci "fandom" might just be extended a bit.

I would love it if only it were true.

Really? The Blue Devils designers last year didn't think that loooonnngg segments of their show were purposefully difficult to listen to?? I hope thats not the case, because then I would have to call some really famous and respected people from this activity, "dumb"...

And for the record, I actually LIKED the blue devils show. It WAS hard to listen to. It was downright disgusting sometimes. I didn't mind though...it was an amazing production. Do I hope more corps follow suit...not really, for one, they wouldn't be able to pull it off, and two, I'm not sure how many things like that I could sit through. Additionally, having developed melodies that resemble the original tune is not 'moving backwards', because a lot of corps never stopped doing it. Honestly, I only saw about 60% of the corps last year, so i'm not even qualified to judge the trend, but for the most part, I was pretty happy with what I heard...

No more than Charlie Parker playing a set at 2:30AM at "Birdland" would. I can't imagine him wondering that some non-jazz aficionado (that happened to wander in) was having difficulty getting it. It was Jazz, it was mood, it was a musical journey, and Charlie wasn't about to take a poll on who got it and who didn't. You didn't worry about "hard to listen to"....you just held on and went for the ride. If it didn't move you, you move out smartly down the avenue to some club playing more familiar stuff. But it was all good!!! For BD, music is NOT a backdrop.... it describes the moment, and even sort of lights it. It carries the players through one mood to the next. So...one man's loooooonnnnggggg segment, is another man's musical journey.

No one suggested that; and, quite frankly, that argument is as tired as the one it claims to refute.

It wasn't so much an argument, as a question....do you have an answer?