Cadets to Honor "The Uniform" in Special 2011 Ceremony

I've heard the colors of the costume were going to be different. If I am incorrect, I apologize.

Actually from what I read, the colors are not changing, and it's actually a uniform.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

AND you have 2005 where they changed the uniform "possibly" for the same reason as "we need it to make the show work" and guess what... that worked too.

So saying that that kind of mentality is inherently "un-credible" isn't really that credible.

In fact saying that you "need something to make the show work" is how all great shows ended up being great. They had to have that 'something' that made the show work. Phantom needed to kill the drum major to make they're show work (or at least make it work EVEN BETTER).

well to be honest, I'm no fan of 2005. And I dont think that was super original....it reminded me of a Cadet version of VK 92 uniform wise.

Actually saying you need something to make it work, or realizing your limitations and still making it work is what creates genius.

Nope. But did the uniform change hinder 2005?

IMO, in some ways yes, but again, not a fan of the show personally

well to be honest, I'm no fan of 2005. And I dont think that was super original....it reminded me of a Cadet version of VK 92 uniform wise.

Then we'll just disagree.

Actually saying you need something to make it work, or realizing your limitations and still making it work is what creates genius.

But who decides that changing your limitations should be limited? I mean, you can't just draw and line and says, "well that's the limit" because DCI since the beginning has ALWAYS been about expanding its own limitations. No asymmetric drill? Here ya go. No pit? here ya go. No Bflat? here ya go. No electricity? Here ya go. No synths? Here ya go.

Changing your uniform is no more part of a limitation as any other aspect of drum corps. Changing uniforms have happened since the beginning and you feel NOW that it's going "beyond" initial limitations? and therefore not "genius"? No! The limitation exists in being creative with the uniform and that option has ALWAYS been given to corps. When you are taking advantage of being creative with your uniform it isn't a "cop-out" or the "easy-button". It's working in the limitations that are inherent to wearing a uniform and seeing what genius you can muster up.

IMO, in some ways yes, but again, not a fan of the show personally

I still don't see why you are against the idea that making changes for a show ideas/concepts is so terrible. Afterall isn't it more important that we are entertained by drum corps shows than bored by them?

I still don't see why you are against the idea that making changes for a show ideas/concepts is so terrible. Afterall isn't it more important that we are entertained by drum corps shows than bored by them?

Snce this thread is about The Cadets uniform, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never been "bored" by The Cadets uniform in any show that they've ever performed..... ever.

Then we'll just disagree.

But who decides that changing your limitations should be limited? I mean, you can't just draw and line and says, "well that's the limit" because DCI since the beginning has ALWAYS been about expanding its own limitations. No asymmetric drill? Here ya go. No pit? here ya go. No Bflat? here ya go. No electricity? Here ya go. No synths? Here ya go.

Changing your uniform is no more part of a limitation as any other aspect of drum corps. Changing uniforms have happened since the beginning and you feel NOW that it's going "beyond" initial limitations? and therefore not "genius"? No! The limitation exists in being creative with the uniform and that option has ALWAYS been given to corps. When you are taking advantage of being creative with your uniform it isn't a "cop-out" or the "easy-button". It's working in the limitations that are inherent to wearing a uniform and seeing what genius you can muster up.

you're right! let anything go! after all, why not just be marching band? :rolleyes:

ya know a big part of the appeal was that drum corps had set rules and that made it different

again, I'm not totally opposed to the change. But sometimes, I see "justifications" rolled out to "foster" change when it really means people have just run out of ideas.

Well a few reasons.

1) is it really needed? especially in todays economic climate, can corps justfiy the expense of a whole new uniform.costume/set of jammies on a football field?

2) tradition. Many of the greatest drum corps shows of all time were created in uniforms considered iconic. Those shows didn't need it, why would this? I mean, when I watch 87, I don't see the West Point look hurting App Apring. and lets face it, tradition wise, as drum corps throws more of it away, you can also see the fan base dwindling. There is some correlation

3) these days, people will always use creatvitiy as a justification for anything new. Really, to be truly creative, you need limitations to allow true genius to show thru. I still laugh at some of the justifications trotted out since 2003 for some rules passages that were a laugh then and proven to be lies since.

• Like 4

HAHA..good thing you weren't one of the judges.

as a judge, I've given many shows I may not personally like good scores. Judging has nothing to do with liking a show, and everything with following the criteria on the sheets.