Hop's Alumni Tour 2011

I just received an e-mail about what is billed as "Hop's Alumni Tour 2011," describing how George Hopkins is taking several days to travel to four locations in order to open alumni chapters in four locations.

As corps alums spread out across the country, this seems like a brilliant idea to keep them connected and I can only guess such chapters could spread across the country. Hop's tour will be taking him to meet alums in the Boston area, Philadelphia/South Jersey, Northern Virginia/Metro DC and the Atlanta region.

I realize some might say this is an effort to mitigate some of the alumni reaction to news about the possible uniform changes, but it's still a pretty cool thing to do to provide outreach to alums that live away from the corps' base.

If you know of any other corps that do the same sort of coordinated effort, please let us know.

It might be something worth considering for DCP to have an alumni forum where alums from all corps could have a place to learn about alumni meetings and other alumni news. What do you think?

• Like 3

I just received an e-mail about what is billed as "Hop's Alumni Tour 2011," describing how George Hopkins is taking several days to travel to four locations in order to open alumni chapters in four locations.

As corps alums spread out across the country, this seems like a brilliant idea to keep them connected and I can only guess such chapters could spread across the country. Hop's tour will be taking him to meet alums in the Boston area, Philadelphia/South Jersey, Northern Virginia/Metro DC and the Atlanta region.

I realize some might say this is an effort to mitigate some of the alumni reaction to news about the possible uniform changes, but it's still a pretty cool thing to do to provide outreach to alums that live away from the corps' base.

If you know of any other corps that do the same sort of coordinated effort, please let us know.

It might be something worth considering for DCP to have an alumni forum where alums from all corps could have a place to learn about alumni meetings and other alumni news. What do you think?

As far as I know, this tour has been on the books for quite a while...way before the uniform drama. Will that stop the speculation regarding motive?...probably not, but I thought I'd throw it out there... :lookaround:

• Like 3

I know quite a few Cadet's Alumni and they were already quite well connected with each other ( and in many parts of the nation ) , if it were anyone else but GH I would think it is a great idea - but IMHO time and again this type of proposal translates to a bid for free labor or alumni donations.

• Like 2

I know quite a few Cadet's Alumni and they were already quite well connected with each other ( and in many parts of the nation ) , if it were anyone else but GH I would think it is a great idea - but IMHO time and again this type of proposal translates to a bid for free labor or alumni donations.

I don't know how anyone didn't know about this "tour" The Cadets have broadcasted it ad nauseum on Facebook the last several days.

• Like 2

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 4

I don't know how anyone didn't know about this "tour" The Cadets have broadcasted it ad nauseum on Facebook the last several days.

I am either not connected with Cadets on Facebook or whenever I've checked out my page, perhaps it was a few pages down since I have to make it past news about what my friends are having on their pizzas. I figured if I didn't know about it, perhaps some Cadets alums or alums from other corps (that could utilize such an idea to bring people closer together) might not have seen this as well. Also, not everyone is on Facebook, as difficult as that might be for some to imagine.

Only last week, I bought my first video game for my new 8-bit Commodore 64.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

While this is a good idea for the Cadets, I would be surprised to see other corps do this. Does any corps have as many alumni as the Cadets? And how many of them have a director that just happens to be traveling to these various locations on other business anyway?

Perhaps other corps with significant alumni populations could arrange get-togethers that coincide with their summer tour appearances. (Maybe some already do.)

I am either not connected with Cadets on Facebook or whenever I've checked out my page, perhaps it was a few pages down since I have to make it past news about what my friends are having on their pizzas. I figured if I didn't know about it, perhaps some Cadets alums or alums from other corps (that could utilize such an idea to bring people closer together) might not have seen this as well. Also, not everyone is on Facebook, as difficult as that might be for some to imagine.

Only last week, I bought my first video game for my new 8-bit Commodore 64.

Yes Michael FB is a great place to bring people together. Boston and other have done a good job.

I didn't know about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Boo.

I think what Hop is doing is a great idea. After all, drum corps is basically a co-ed college fraternity. They have regional alumni chapters, why shouldn't we? It will be a great way for alumni to get together (relatively) easily, and I'm sure the corps proper will notice a financial impact, as well!

• Like 2