Drum Corps World ceases printing . . .

For those that had intented to subscribe, can we donate to the transition?

I won't post Steve's e-mail address here, but if you go to drumcorpsworld.com you can go to the contact page to get a hold of Steve. If you drop him a line, he'd love to hear from you.

Edited by Northern Thunder

So it's going from a weekly magazine to a monthly?

Definitely good news/bad news.

The bad news is kind of obvious (no hard copies of DCW means no members can read it on the bus over the summer).

The good news, however, is HUGE: DCW will live on electronically FOR FREE!

From their website (link posted above):

Not totally for free. Those of us who just spent hard cash for subscription renewals got blind-sided by this and Steve replied to me stating that we would be getting a small refund, since he hoped we wouldn't mind only getting back $26 out of the $81 first class subscription price, the difference between first and second class rate subscriptions. So it isn't FREE.The hard copy subscribers are the ones subsidizing this event.

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester

So it's going from a weekly magazine to a monthly?

Past history, Kyle. (I apologize if my earlier post was inaccurate or misleading, but it has been a monthly for awhile.)

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

Well this is gonna be interesting.... I never subscribed to DCW but my email has already been registered due to buying other items. So according to the website (must be true it's on the Internet :tongue: ) I'll get an email when the issue comes out...

Kinda wierd wording on th e"View Magazine" page.... Sentence one sez to logon to see the issue.... then sentence three sez nevermind, it'll be out in May. :huh:

PS - for you people like me who need the bifocals for small print. Gotta shrink (Zoom) the registration page to 80% or so the left hand part of the page doesn't disappear. LOL, first time I tried I just saw "name" and "name" for the first two lines. Then When I found out which box was for first and last name, the blarsted thing told me I was already registered. :doh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

RIP print media

Heh, at least DCW won't be doing like my local paper does with their website. The web version of the articles are partial summeries and have about 60-70% of what is in the print version. Each on-line article has the option of leaving comments and lot of the arguments are caused by missing pieces of information. Freakin' site is like teasers you see for the TV news. All the site needs is "If you want more details, buy a #### paper!".

Oh man, I'm imagining DCW with a comments section.....

Heh, at least DCW won't be doing like my local paper does with their website. The web version of the articles are partial summeries and have about 60-70% of what is in the print version. Each on-line article has the option of leaving comments and lot of the arguments are caused by missing pieces of information. Freakin' site is like teasers you see for the TV news. All the site needs is "If you want more details, buy a #### paper!".

Oh man, I'm imagining DCW with a comments section.....

Something we can agree on = the "news" these days is a joke.

Something we can agree on = the "news" these days is a joke.

Can't argue as competition (ratings, money, etc) has really screwed up factual reporting. We have a choice of far-left, far-right on the cable channels and NBC, CBS, ABC all on at the same time trying to get more viewers based on which Botox talking head is on. In cities with more than one paper it's choose which paper panders (knew a guy named Pander) to your views. Harrisburg has one paper so it's actually pretty good for real facts with pretty much a middle of the road slant. But the website seems to be set up as an ad for the paper (go figure).

OK, on topic with a historical bent: Back in my day DCW handled the Jr corps side pretty much and Drum Corps News (Boston area) was real heavy on the Sr side. LOL, seemed which paper you bought depended on if you were more of a Jr or Sr fan.

Good luck, Steve, with the new venture.I'm signed up ! I wrote and shot for DCW from 1978-1980. It allows me the claim of "internationaly published writer/photographer" My Uncle Ken, was one of Steve's first instructors back with the Jets; the feeder corps of the Sky Ryders. Steve told me about a year or so, he had a nice visit with Uncle Ken before the Hutchinson show. Like I said, good luck "boss" in this new adventure.

Edited by Old School Contra Guy