Drum Corps World ceases printing . . .

The bad news is kind of obvious (no hard copies of DCW means no members can read it on the bus over the summer)

Considering how many corps members (and fans, for that matter) have smart phones with data plans, this might mean MORE bus reading than ever before.

Considering how many corps members (and fans, for that matter) have smart phones with data plans, this might mean MORE bus reading than ever before.

I'll definitely be reading it this summer on my iPhone on the bus. Never read DCW before except for when I marched all-age and could read it during the week.

That's what I was thinking. It was a sobering moment the first time I saw a group of members going over a recap in the parking lot on an iPhone.

Strickly from a business standpoint, the concept seems to make perfect sense. Electrons are usually far less expensive than ink and paper - plus they're a whole lot faster. I would imagine that we'll probably be able to print out hard copies of our favorites, and if not it'll only be a matter of time before somebody figures out how to do it. :tongue:

To those subscribers who renewed recently (prior to March 1) -- and new subscribers -- your subscription revenue is being used to make this transition and continue the publication. Likewise, to subscribers who have issues coming, the remainder of your payment is also allowing this change to take place.

:blink: ...don't think I'd be too pleased about this if I was a loyal print subscriber, particularly if he'd cashed my check renewing for a full year recently.

Still, I join in thanking Steve for all the blood sweat and tears he's poured into drum corps over the years and wish him the best in his new venture.

As a past and present subscriber and occasional contributor in the form of articles and photos, I am heartened to see that Steve has found a viable way to to continue on as the voice of the activity. I am sure that in this new format DCW will be more widely read than ever. I would like to add that I have been impressed by the quality and timeliness of Steve's editorial and publishing work. Truely, this must have been as much a labor of love as it was a living for him.

I am excited about the archiving and search possibilities which can be exploited with the electronic medium!

:blink: ...don't think I'd be too pleased about this if I was a loyal print subscriber, particularly if he'd cashed my check renewing for a full year recently.

Still, I join in thanking Steve for all the blood sweat and tears he's poured into drum corps over the years and wish him the best in his new venture.

Steve has stated that he hopes those GOOD drum corps people who paid for subscriptions will be more than happy to realize that those funds will go toward the changeover to the new medium.

As one of those whom you just described, I can't help but feel just a little bit betrayed. If, in fact, this was being considered for such a long time, why weren't we loyal subscribers given a little advance notice/warning? My (first class mail) subscription was just renewed, and now I'm being told everyone will be able to get it for FREE? :rock:

Just trying to digest this whole thing without getting really ticked off.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

Steve has stated that he hopes those GOOD drum corps people who paid for subscriptions will be more than happy to realize that those funds will go toward the changeover to the new medium.

Personally, I'm fine with that. Best of luck to Steve and the rest of the crew on the new venture!

There're History Books too! For those that had intented to subscribe, can we donate to the transition?

Thanks for giving us copies of DCW @ DCI finals 2010. Our suitcases were heavy but we got home ok:)