JR Corps marching G Bugles?

Indeed. Mellophones....tenor drums....the roll-step....let's get rid of them all!

What, you don't do a roll-step when you walk around everywhere....? :devil:

No argument there. Past, present or future, good playing is good playing. Loved listening to it on G horns back in the day, love hearing in multi-key it now.

Sorry, I'm not buying it, period. The older horn lines favored (for want of better terminology, and with no disrespect intended) a more rough-hewn quality, as per the fashion of the day. But you gotta take off those rose-colored headphones and stop confusing coarseness with volume. The modern heavy hitters are no less potent than their ancestral counterparts. They just melt your face with a little more finesse.

Peace,

Fred O.

2V G lines of the 80's were insane loud compared to anything you can dish out today. The only thing I've heard come even remotely close was a Crown encore song doing Madonna last year, and they were standing on the track, with 80 horns. BD's 86 finals encore was the loudest thing I've ever heard come out of a drum corps, and I can name many others that were louder than the loudest Bb thing I've heard, which was an encore on a track.

I don't buy the out of tune rhetoric, either. You didn't win in the 80's or the 90's if you were out of tune.

• Like 4

What, you don't do a roll-step when you walk around everywhere....? :devil:

When I was marching I made a practice to roll step everywhere I went so that it became second nature. I am sure the people in the Wal MArt Parkinglot had a good laugh. Ask me if I care?????

• Like 1

So, we answered the question a while ago. . .and it seems like this thread isn't going to get back on the rails anytime soon. As always, if someone wants to open a similar thread and refocus the conversation, please feel free to do so.

Closed. :smile: