Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

I think what you mean to say is "just because DCI staff, directors, judges, and many fans approve doesn't mean I LIKE IT. Don't project your personal opinions as black/white right/wrong. While others may agree with you, plenty more don't. When "plenty more" includes fans, PLUS corps staff, designers, directors, and judges the minority of people with personal tastes becomes less of a concern, IMO.

Drum corps is not all things to all people: never has been and it never will be. It's gets tiring seeing grown adults spout their opinions as right/wrong fact.

I put nothing personal in there. If paying customers aren't in favor of it no matter how much DCI "approves of it"...who's right? Well, look at the attendance numbers.

So you think there should be no reasons for corps who play in random Podunk HS stadiums to not have perfectly balanced sound?! Seriously, you REALLY don't know anything about acoustics, sound, etc. You're seriously coming across as a stubborn child: "I want it this way all the time" while holding your breath and making ridiculous demands or something. I'm really trying hard not to come off as abrasive, but you are seriously sounding like an obnoxious teenager who stubbornly refuses to accept reality.

We all get it: you don't like hearing the pits all of the time. Corps aren't perfectly balanced all the time, and it's unfortunate and undesirable when that happens (I agree wit that). But when you start making asinine statements about "corps should always be perfectly balanced, no matter how little time they have for appropriate sound check or how different one performance site is from another," or "when pits are as loud as the brass the balance is wrong and unacceptable" you really come across as naive at best, stubbornly child-like at worst.

At least if you're going to continually make those assertions, rephrase your gripes as opinion instead of fact...

You're really in denial. You should adjust for the venue, and many corps do not. How many corps run a soundcheck before the show? Few if any. Come out, plug in and go. So how do you know it's going to be balanced? You don't. And You'll find it isn't. Do I expect perfection? No. But at least show an attempt at it, and we don't see that.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, in my experience of going to shows and watching shows on Fan Network, there really aren't any more issues at drum corps shows than marching band shows: in fact, in my experience (of both a drum corps person who teaches HS marching band and goes to a ton of MB shows a year) there are FAR more problems at high school shows than drum corps shows.

I think people who dislike hearing the pit all the time tend to over-exaggerate the problem tremendously.

Also FWIW, I miss retreats as well. Maybe for larger regionals it would be cool to bring 'em back. I totally get the logistics behind getting rid of retreats (and I really didn't like them as a MM most of the time). At least DCI does the encore thing pretty well IMO at the regionals. But I always loved hearing all of the corps songs at every show.

the FN can be mixed.

and yeah, I agree on the retreat thing. I do understand why...but it would be cool

• Like 1

Two things:

1) if you honestly believe "it's not getting better," than you are blindly biased. While balance is not perfect, and will NEVER be perfect at every show, it's been improving on a yearly basis

You can reshape a turd to look like ice cubes floating in the punchbowl and claim it's getting better but it's still crap spoiling the punch.

• Like 4

You can reshape a turd to look like ice cubes floating in the punchbowl and claim it's getting better but it's still crap spoiling the punch.

If people have been drinking the turd filled punch long enough, they eventually acquire the taste of turd.

• Like 2

Retreat makes an ordinary event into spectacle. Bringing back retreat at major events would be worth the impact on logistics.

I think so too. It definitely slows the sudden rush to leave the stadium after the last score

• Like 1

Right (which it's not, since they're live streams).

Also, why I said from my experience of FN AND going to shows (which I admittedly don't go to a ton).

except not all shows on the Fan network are live.

• Like 1

except not all shows on the Fan network are live.

OK, if we're quibbling over semantics: the majority of shows I watched on Fan Network last summer were live streams. I honestly can't remember watching any 'live' streams last summer that were not live.

If I didn't clarify, what I referred to in my post of "going to live shows and watching live streams on Fan Network," I was referring to actual live streams, not video that was mastered after the fact (like finals recordings).

Regardless, my original point (that is perhaps getting lost in semantic arguments),

For what it's worth, in my experience of going to shows and watching shows on Fan Network, there really aren't any more issues at drum corps shows than marching band shows: in fact, in my experience (of both a drum corps person who teaches HS marching band and goes to a ton of MB shows a year) there are FAR more problems at high school shows than drum corps shows.

still stands. In my experience there are FAR more balance issues at marching band shows than drum corps show, and that ratio widens every year as things improve yearly w/drum corps.

Edited by perc2100

Where are the Fan Network mics and cameras set at??