Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

And here is the point/problem:

In YOUR opinion, you don't like the way balance currently has been. I would say that generally, all of the corps more or less are balancing their ensembles the same, so arguably all of the corps are fine with current balance. Also, since all of the corps are doing the same thing, the judges apparently don't seem to have a problem either.

So really, instead of "unacceptable quality," perhaps what you really mean to say is that you personally do not like the way things are, and you wish corps staff/designers had your sensibilities. Insinuating that this is "poor quality" is likely false, vs stating your opinion on balance is probably more correct verbiage.

Just want to throw that out there: like or dislike the trends, but labeling "unacceptable quality" when every corps is doing it and judges are approving is kind of false logic.

But, this is the internet: where personal opinion typically is the same as fact to many :rolleyes: ...

just because they approve doesn't mean it's right.

how many regular season stadiums are a big dome? very few. Yet most program the board for Indy. Well guess what, in Podunk HS stadium, that's unacceptable, and far more people see shows in Podunk High Schools than they do in Indy.

given the Cesario project, I'd say they have realized in some areas that just because they are all for it doesn't mean it's right.

just because they approve doesn't mean it's right.

how many regular season stadiums are a big dome? very few. Yet most program the board for Indy. Well guess what, in Podunk HS stadium, that's unacceptable, and far more people see shows in Podunk High Schools than they do in Indy.

given the Cesario project, I'd say they have realized in some areas that just because they are all for it doesn't mean it's right.

maybe so but you always write and plan for the big dance at the end....drill is designed for it, visuals, sound i'm sure. even in WGI you don't write for the local small school , you write for the arena. :smile:

• Like 1

maybe so but you always write and plan for the big dance at the end....drill is designed for it, visuals, sound i'm sure. even in WGI you don't write for the local small school , you write for the arena. :smile:

then when fans ##### they are being blown out of their seats, don't ##### or make excuses.

suck it up and admit it

then when fans ##### they are being blown out of their seats, don't ##### or make excuses.

suck it up and admit it

Come on now Jeff, I know you love the debate on EVERYTHING BUT you actually think it makes sense to write for something other than the end? maybe sound could or should be adjusted better, so give it time to work itself out GEZZZZZZZ........personally I would like to know what happened to all the tapes I would hear for decades screaming that the pit was too loud anyway, now all of a sudden we need to hear more of it..lol :tongue:

Come on now Jeff, I know you love the debate on EVERYTHING BUT you actually think it makes sense to write for something other than the end? maybe sound could or should be adjusted better, so give it time to work itself out GEZZZZZZZ........personally I would like to know what happened to all the tapes I would hear for decades screaming that the pit was too loud anyway, now all of a sudden we need to hear more of it..lol :tongue:

time? it's been 7 years since the first amp went into usage on a sideline. every rules congress is a new tweak to make it better...and it's not getting better.

really, the "need for time" stuff is...well...7 years old.

The board dials aren't glued in place once the show is set.

What's wrong with programming different settings for small H.S. stadiums and for domes?

These are pros running the boards, right?

I'd think they could adjust based only on indoor/outdoor or small/large stadium.

Regardless of what venue you "design" for, the knob/fader on that sound board can still be adjusted as appropriate for each venue along the way.

time? it's been 7 years since the first amp went into usage on a sideline. every rules congress is a new tweak to make it better...and it's not getting better.

really, the "need for time" stuff is...well...7 years old.

Two things:

1) if you honestly believe "it's not getting better," than you are blindly biased. While balance is not perfect, and will NEVER be perfect at every show, it's been improving on a yearly basis

2) "need for time stuff?!" NO ONE ever said, "add amps and we guarantee things will be perfect in 12 months." We hashed it out over and over on why balance will never be perfect, and the myriad of things that affect balance.

Oh, and other things drum corps should stop using "need for time" excuses:

- marching not-perfect shows in June. Come on, guys: you've been meeting since November right?! NO EXCUSES!

- constantly changing shows all year. Really?! You've been designing the show since the previous August, yet we're still changing stuff the week of Finals. Unacceptable.

The list goes on. Really, the things I kind of sarcastically mention above really are just as silly as the tired "balance should be perfect all the time by now" argument.

Edited by perc2100

2) "need for time stuff?!" NO ONE ever said, "add amps and we guarantee things will be perfect in 12 months." We hashed it out over and over on why balance will never be perfect, and the myriad of things that affect balance.

Haven't been to an amped show in years so will bring up two points that I've read:

1) One of the "pro" points to approve amps was that a lot of the staff comes from the MB word and they "know what they are doing" using amps. IOW - led to believe that amped DC would have no more issues than amoed MB. How many years ago was that?

2) Since this isn't MB Planet not many comments on MBs and amps. But the few that do appear give the impression that problems occur with a much smaller percentage of amped MBs that the percentage of amped DCs.

On topic adds:

Good things - fans that are so passionate they argue ad naseum :rolleyes: on issues.

Bad things: No retreat - some fans feel that is part of the "whole" show.

Edited by JimF-LowBari