So far, I'm not really liking 2011

How about a different angle on this announcement thing......

We often complain about 'slotting' in this forum.

Would giving too much information about a corps' program too soon cause us to have preconceived ideas of what the program will look like in competition?

Would it hurt/hit the early scores for a corps if we already know so much about how it will look and sound?

Does removing the element of surprise ruin the chance of a higher score in the very first competition?

look at Madison...they told us why the last tune/tunes weren't public yet

True, and I give him props for coming on here an posting/responding to criticism and questions. There are VERY few DCI directors who take this place seriously enough to spend time typing replies, and it's great that he takes the time to 'talk' to fans.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that if you e-mailed Dave Gibbs, or Adolph DeGrauwe, or any other corps director asking about 2011 show theme information, they would provide at least a rudimentary reason why they are not ready to announce that yet (even if it's a "we'll be announcing it in the near future").

Would giving too much information about a corps' program too soon cause us to have preconceived ideas of what the program will look like in competition?

Would it hurt/hit the early scores for a corps if we already know so much about how it will look and sound?

Does removing the element of surprise ruin the chance of a higher score in the very first competition?

Do movie trailers ruin the movie for you before you go and watch the actual movie?

Could be: judges pay attention to that stuff, and if a corps is doing a concept the judge's aren't too enthused about it might give them a negative preconceived bias.

Do movie trailers ruin the movie for you before you go and watch the actual movie?

YES, it can if they show something to just hype the movie!

But only one time that happened for me and I wish I could remember what movie it was!

I thought the whole movie was going to be action packed and full of drama.

It ended up being a long, almost boring love story........the movie trailer was the best part by far!

A lot of times they do: Hollywood marketing firms have frequently given away the funniest 'beats' in comedies, best action set pieces in action flicks, and sometimes even plot twists, in trailers for the movies. Honestly, the economics of making/selling a Hollywood movie are a TOTALLY different argument/discussion from this. But there have been plenty of times when a marketing firm mis-marketed a movie to pump up box office, or sold a comedy as more of an action movie, etc. There have been times when I wanted to see a movie based on it's logline, only to be turned off by a trailer (and vice-versa).

Regardless, IMO the bottom line is corps will release their own show information when they are ready to: not before. I don't have any problems with that

Could be: judges pay attention to that stuff, and if a corps is doing a concept the judge's aren't too enthused about it might give them a negative preconceived bias.

Well this would be an argument for giving out information in the off-season. If the judge doesn't like it, at least there can be time for the judge to get "used" to the concept so he/she can be more "accepting" of it later on.

As far as this season, no opinion yet but am going in with a sour g-8 taste in my mouth…2010 was way better than 2009 but years don’t really trend that way so we’ll see

I don’t know either way about announcing early or late, don’t care really. If I were a marcher looking for a corps, I’d want to know the shows to maybe help me decide but I’m not

Well this would be an argument for giving out information in the off-season. If the judge doesn't like it, at least there can be time for the judge to get "used" to the concept so he/she can be more "accepting" of it later on.

That's definitely one 'argument;' you could also argue that when a corps announces their show at a later date the theme is more solidified, thought-out, and at least is a very clear and definitive idea of what the show will be.

Plus, if a staff wants to know what a judge thinks of a show concept before the season I would bet they choose to solicit the opinion offline (i.e. not announce the show, sit back and wait/hope that a judge will let them know there are some inherent problems with the show design).

I agree with that as well.

But I can see the other side of the coin, where people think that Cadets had a bit of a SNAFU when they announced one show theme/rep in September, and the had to pull a 180 and announce another shoe theme/rep a few months later.

What we see as an interesting look into the design process of a Top 5/multi-DCI Champion, others see it as a little embarrassing and smacking of disorganization at worst, and a scatter-brained, over-zealous need to keep relevant & in the 'news' no matter if it means publishing information before your ready (AGAIN: I DO NOT FEEL THAT WAY, BUT I'VE HEARD OTHERS IN THE ACTIVITY WHO DO)

My point is, I have zero problems with corps controlling how/when/where they release news pertaining to their show design & theme. If a corps wants to put out a theme in mid-September, back-track and change to a totally different concept that they feel works better, then great: love the news, appreciate giving us insight into the thought process. If a corps wants to wait until they have everything finalized so when they make an announcement it's solidified, then awesome: thanks for giving us notice once you have you design together.

Really, the only thing that matters is how what the program is on the field in August. I don't care what a rep is, what a design should be on paper: if it's not a solid product in August nothing else matters. I've almost found myself recently not paying attention to show design and explanations in the winter/spring, and instead try to go into the season not knowing what corps have in mind. Takes away pre-conceived biases and expectations of a show, and helps me appreciate what's on the field instead of what's in my imagination a little bit more.

in an activity with declining attendance, any marketing is a good thing, and something DCi still doesn't do a lot of or well. if anyone thinks that a staff publicly changing their mind is embarrassing, well, then maybe they are the problem.

But see, what matters is what fans see all summer. Many fans won't have a chance to see it in August. You have to engage those June fans too.