So far, I'm not really liking 2011

I can see why people may not be enthused about this season too. I mean, with not a lot of information from corps what's to be "enthused" about? However, that is different than saying "I'm not liking the 2011 season". Maybe the OP doesn't like it because of how slow information is coming out of the corps in this off season, but he cannot possibly "not like it" based on the limited information that is released. It's like reading the titles of 1/2 of Steven Spielberg's movies and judging whether or not he is overall a good director based on that alone.

I wish that all corps would give more info on their show in the off season, but you can't write off an entire season because of the lack of information.

but in the OP's defense he did say "so far" which leads me to believe that upon receiving more information from drum corps that have given little to NO information he can change his mind. Based on his post I think he thinks all the shows are going to be about vampires and angels... :tongue:

I agree. it's not than I am unenthused, i am indifferent til I hear more to be excited about. What has been leaked or admitted outright has some intrigue.

Yep. And while some of it certainly is licensing, for some reason many drum corps have this idea that secrecy is this great idea. Show announcements, uniforms, rehearsals, etc.

Hell, in many ways things have gone backwards. I remember when the fan network first came out many corps were putting out updates at least every month, and then when everydays got here there were frequent updates. Now you go on there, and aside from a couple corps most are providing little if anything to that site.

because they have their own sources, and you can pay them directly to see/hear it

Wow, the entitled consumer. WTF ever happened to going to a show with no idea what you were in for. You're not buying a car for Christ sake.

true I'm not. But with increasing ticket prices and the economy being what it is, fewer are willing to take a chance on the unknown. Do you go see a movie you haven't even seen a commercial for?

DCI is losing fans. A little marketing can help gain some new ones and maybe pull some old ones back.

:thumbup:

If DCI wants more butts in the seats...they have to figure out how to get a real buzz going during the off season. A buzz so strong that has fans counting down the minutes for the season to start. You know....meaningful corps camp updates...with tidbits of show music thrown in (even if its midi files). I remember back in late 2003 and 2004 when SCV was posting monthly updates of their 2004 production. I couldn't wait to see/hear their full show. And you know what...SCV 2004 was a DCI finals crowd favorite that season. Think of movie previews. They are designed to inspire you to attend movies. DCI needs to engage/inspire the fans more during the off season.

look at the hype on here when Phantom released their music. and wow...remember when they said Spartacus was coming back?

• Like 1

That is simply not true, at least from my memory of reading DCW going back to the early/mid-90's. I remember maybe an occasional, vague/broad announcement (like we have now) from a corps or two in the winter; but the corps show 'list' was always published around April or maybe May. I remember being in HS and then college, receiving the issue in the mail when I was studying for final exams/juries, and getting excited knowing that by the time I was reading that list I knew corps were about to move-in.

I know that it's really easy to "remember" past with rose-colored glasses (tour goggles), so I don't blame you for immediately referring back to the good ol' days. But either you are referring to the 80's or one of us is seriously mis-remembering the past

as a writer for DCW, every issue had the around junior world and senior world columns, and show info was in there, and pretty much all was known by now, plus the April issue usually had a summation of who was doing what in case you missed one or someone made a change. I know, I wrote a few :ph34r:

because i aged-out in 2010

• Like 1

because i aged-out in 2010

I remember that feeling very well. 1989 just felt like a deflated year for me, but there were plenty of good shows to go around. I'm so happy that there are videos to help me remember them!

• Like 1