Multi-year Vets in Today's DCI

LOL. Yes, I think his son is about six years in on an eight year run as a Blue Stars marching member. So, yes, there are a few long timers out there, but nothing like the old days. Just too great a commitment to march multiple years these days.

I hardly think it's too much of a commitment (suggesting kids these days don't commit), but that it is far more difficult for a 14 or 15 year old to make a top-tier corps and then march there for the whole time. In Kris's case, he made the Blue Stars back before anyone in the stands thought they had a chance in (then) Div 1.

Kris is a longtimer at Blue Stars. Why shouldn't he be?? His father marched something like 13 years in his own corps!! Great family they are. Proud to know them all.

LOL. Yes, I think his son is about six years in on an eight year run as a Blue Stars marching member. So, yes, there are a few long timers out there, but nothing like the old days. Just too great a commitment to march multiple years these days.

There's commitment in every endeavor one chooses (I don't know any other way; YMMV)

When one chooses NOT to do drum corps, it's because something else become a higher priority, period. In fact, when I hear MMs say "I'm not doing dc this year because I can't afford it" I always make them rephrase it as "I'm not doing dc this year because it's not a high enough priority for me to make it happen."

Multi-year vets have clearly made dc a #1 priority. God love 'em! They make dc excellent. If you polled the multi-year vet age-outs, most would say "man, I wish I had one more year." (Yes, some would say "It was time to move on, my body couldn't take it!")

• Like 2

today is it even healthy to march for 6+ years? isn't there a point where your body begins to fight back?

When you're over 50, perhaps yes.

But when you're under 22, you're listening to legitimate rationale for non continuation, ( or your excuses )... but not "your body " telling you to quit. Doing Corps gets easier for most marchers that are young, not harder. The hardest years are the first, because the whole routine on and off the field is new. After that, you know the routine, and know better how to handle it all.

Edited by BRASSO

When you're over 50, perhaps yes.

But when you're under 22, you're listening to legitimate rationale for non continuation, ( or your excuses )... but not "your body " telling you to quit. Doing Corps gets easier for most marchers that are young, not harder. The hardest years are the first, because the whole routine on and off the field is new. After that, you know the routine, and know better how to handle it all.

Haha, that's hilarious. If only any of that were true. My first year, it was all so new, I didn't have time to think about anything. My only thoughts were what we were doing at that moment, and how to not screw up and get noticed. My second year though, once I knew how the routine worked, I did think about everything else much more, and it was actually harder to stay focused and concentrate on everything.

But yeah, my body did tell me quit, once I shattered the inside of my knee, it was pretty imperative I listen to it. I've gotten three years out of DCI so far, and hopefully will get another one before I'm all done. So my body began fighting back around year four, and it hasn't stopped fighting back yet. It's still putting up quite a battle to stop me from marching again.

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1

Haha, that's hilarious. If only any of that were true. My first year, it was all so new, I didn't have time to think about anything. My only thoughts were what we were doing at that moment, and how to not screw up and get noticed. My second year though, once I knew how the routine worked, I did think about everything else much more, and it was actually harder to stay focused and concentrate on everything.

But yeah, my body did tell me quit, once I shattered the inside of my knee, it was pretty imperative I listen to it.

I commented in general terms here. So sure, if one shatters their knee, it's not quite the same question as to whether your body is telling you to quit as that of a completely healthy person. An unhealthy or an injured person in the activity has a completely different question to answer for themselves than does a healthy and or/ non injured person. That's just a given.

Edited by BRASSO

I only marched 3 years with my (then div 2/open class corps, now world class) corps but I would love to do it again. My mind can do it and with the proper training and care my body (knees) could do it. For me it was my parents telling me I could not march till after I completed my first year of college that kept me from marching more years.

Had I not taken two seasons off I would've marched seven seasons. Began at 15 for the 2005 season and I ageout this season, 2011.

If I had the money I would've marched 2008 and 2010, but we can't have everything haha.

Edited by SomeBariPlayer

Crossmen have an 8 year vet and a 7 (might be 6) year vet (both from the eastcoast) who are aging out this summer.

Cue Kris's Dad in 3....2....1....

Sorry I'm late :tongue: . It was a rough drive home from camp last night due to the weather.

Kris is not the only member of Blue Stars that is a long-term vet. There are three other members that started with him in 2006 that are still marching there, and quite a few others that started there in 2007. There is also another member like him that marched a different corps in 2005 and then Blue Stars 2006 - present. I believe that this ability of the Blue Stars to retain a fairly good number of people over the long term is part of the reason for their continuous improvement over the last 8 years. Always having that nucleus of experienced, long term veterans that can carry on the system they use helps accelerate the learning curve for everyone else. And the stability in staff also helps.

• Like 3