Percussion Directors Round Table

It was a short, but good discussion. Probably something that needs to occur more often to allow fans and performers to hear the thought processes and ideas of the writers and creators.

These types of discussions are defiantly good. They should have these discussions (with fans participating) at all major shows throughout the season. I think it's important for the makers and shapers to hear (And see) first hand..the fans perspective.

Well, I have no problem with innovation, but Crown needs to fix that battery before delving into Winterguardian pretense if they want to win a championship. It was one of the big issues that hindered them last season.

• Like 1

Interesting you bring that up about crown, I was watching some of Shane Gwaltneys work over the past few years. In watching the percussion I think Phantom should have a decent year being his first year there but might faulter based on what I heard or didn't hear from the pit/front ensemble. In my opinion, the arrangements for the pit have not been up to the standard set by the top corps. I'm not an expert by any means, but I also don't think you need to be a percussionist to hear the difference. I'm hoping with his move to Phantom we hear and see a move to the next level.

Has anyone heard anything on their development?

Edited by Phantombari1

I'm not sure about Phantom (It might be a bit harder to place first this year.), but Santa Clara should be bangin' with Rennick on board. I'm really looking forward to hearing that snareline. I thought Blue Stars' battery made a big jump last year. If I was Scott Johnson, I wouldn't be happy with the percussion placement even though the corps received the gold. It probably kept them from having the highest score ever and winning all placements like a certain maroon and gold corps I happen to like! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well, I have no problem with innovation, but Crown needs to fix that battery before delving into Winterguardian pretense if they want to win a championship. It was one of the big issues that hindered them last season.

Bear in mind, we did lose four battery members over the course of the summer, including the center snare (who's responsible for a huge amount of the timing responsibility in the percussion and the corps at large). Plus, those losses weren't all at once, so a lot of the battery's music rehearsal time was lost while they rewrote and relearned their drill.

Now, I don't mean to make excuses or whine about our placement, but Crown's percussion finished 5th in a 4th place corps last year (even with all the personnel issues!), and 2nd in a 2nd place corps the year before. It's not exactly an Achilles' heel.

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 2

Phantombari, I might agree with you about the pit, while gwaltneys writing is terrific, spirit imo has had a less than stellar pit book lately. I wish gwaltney would bring his mcm cronie Erik Johnson to come to pr. Johnson has produced THE BEST pits, hands down imo. His ties may be too strong to cavies however. I have no worries about their battery writing, Gwaltney does an amazing job at that, in fact, I MIGHT prefer his writing to rennicks (however as far as methodology/technique/philosophy....the whole package nobody beats rennick), I am confident they will have a top tier calibur drum book... it will all be about their ability to clean it.

As for crown, off(ish) year for their line. I don't see it as an Achilles heel, lee beddis has proved to be top notch many times at many places.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

I'm not sure about Phantom (It might be a bit harder to place first this year.), but Santa Clara should be bangin' with Rennick on board. I'm really looking forward to hearing that snareline. I thought Blue Stars' battery made a big jump last year. If I was Scott Johnson, I wouldn't be happy with the percussion placement even though the corps received the gold. It probably kept them from having the highest score ever and winning all placements like a certain maroon and gold corps I happen to like! :thumbup:

From the clips and stuff that are around, plus some news from their camps, it sounds like Blue Stars has a very solid battery again this year, with a huge step up in their pit. Could be very interesting.

• Like 1

"I don't think anyone tries to not have an entertaining show. We all try to do that, we just all try to do that in our own way." - Paul Rennick

aka "It is not our fault if the plebians don't like our awesome products. Man, am I good at my job, or what???? *pats on the back for everyone*"

• Like 1

aka "It is not our fault if the plebians don't like our awesome products. Man, am I good at my job, or what???? *pats on the back for everyone*"

Rennick's quote was preceded by...

What do kids marching today want to play? -- Mike Jackson

We think more about the kids. I'm a teacher so when i go there it's about what I'm trying to give the kids. So your question... I don't even think about it. -- Tom Aungst

• Like 1