A little advice for tour?

Don't ask questions. Just go where you're told, when you're told to, and always keep your ears and eyes open to what's going on. The biggest lesson I've ever learned is "Don't be that guy". You know, the one who always misses directions, and screws up everyone else because he stepped off wrong or stopped a set early and caused a pile-up.

Besides that, just relax, and try and enjoy yourself. If you get free time, try and talk to the older members. not only will you become great friends with everyone, but you can also learn so much from them, and most of them have tips on how to survive, cause they've gone through it all before.

Also, on the bus, learn how to ration your space. Everyone on the bus hates the kid who's stuff spills out into everyone else's space. Take up your zone, and only your zone. Your life will be much happier and easier that way.

(About Gold Bond, not everyone needs it. I never did, but that's just me. Don't stock up unless you know you'll need it. Good way to test is to go for a run around a track for awhile. If you feel a need for it after that, you're going to need it on tour.) Just my $.02

this^^^

"that guy" also is sometimes late to rehearsal, dont be that guy. so set an alarm if you think you'll need it. also dont be the one who checks out of rehearsal 5min before the block ends, those last 5min are sometimes the most productive 5min of the entire day

plus: green gold bond, ibuprofen, learn your dots, be ready for any weather, and keep the 'bad attitude' to a minimum. then search for the dozens of other threads that start every year at this time by people looking for advice.

On a more philosophical and less practical level: your attitude is key, and your attitude is whatever you make it. The key is to always try and choose to be happy, choose to be positive. Even if you're having a terrible day, there's a lot of truth to the old "fake it til you make it" maxim. That said, it's hard to do that your rookie year because you haven't experienced a full summer, so you don't really know what it'll be like for you, but it's still good advice. Think about it: if you had your choice, would you rather be angry and frustrated or happy? To a large extent, it is your choice - mind over matter, power of positive thinking, whatever you want to call it.

However, you've still got to work hard, and it might not always be best to have a grin on your face all the time. If you're ticking and a staff member keeps calling you out, and you just smile and say "okay!" but don't actually fix it... that's bad news.

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 3

Socks. Putting on dirty socks is awful, and often get ruin. Overpack socks.

baskets for bus windows (similar to http://www.containerstore.com/shop/bath/showerTub/shelvesBaskets?productId=10012595&N=71787)

Call home often. Chances are people are missing you this summer. It can also help keep you sane.

Keep your horn clean. Always have nice new gloves. don't slouch, ever.

Gatorade powder. Just a little dash of the stuff in your jug can turn water into liquid candy during a 5 hour texas block

Socks

Pretend every rep is as important as finals night. Because it is.

If you mess up and get called out, don't get mad or flustered. Fix it. Getting mad will make you screw up more. Your corps mates won't get mad at you if you screw up every once in a while, it's normal, but if you start becoming a consistent screw up, you'll start getting some flack from staff and other members.

Take stretch time seriously. Your body will thank you. Plus the more limber you are, the better you march.

It's about a month from move ins. Use this time to WORK OUT and GET IN SHAPE. Spring training can be the worst experience ever if your body can't handle it, but it can be a blast and rewarding if you're ready. Lift weights. Core/ab exercises are key. Run 10 minutes every day, and try to increase it to at least 30 before spring training begins.

Bring a bandana to shield your chops from the sun during visual blocks where playing isn't necessary. Your lips are as important as your feet, keep em in good shape.

Try to be social, especially on the bus. It's easy to get stuck in your own world. Drum corps is a team sport, and you're all in it together. Get to know people, it'll make your days more pleasant.

Don't complain. Ever. Especially about the weather.

Bring extra socks.

Try to eat as much protein and carbs as you can. Protein helps keep your mind healthy and muscles rebuilding, and the carbs give your body energy to function.

Do your tour duty, no matter how much it sucks.

Realize that after finals, you're gonna come home in probably the best shape of your life, a sweet tan, a cool member jacket, awesome stories and jokes, and more outgoing, but don't make a huge deal out of it to all your friends. It's easy to become arrogant when you get back, especially at your high school or even college band program. Be humble and only speak about your corps experience when somebody asks.

Thats all I got for now

• Like 3

A lot of socks and underwear. To be completely honest, you will not need many shirts at all, since you will only be wearing them in the the food line. I made due with just four shirts. Shorts it depends, are you okay with wearing shorts more than once? Also keep in mind its easy to was shorts and shirts in the showers. And you will probably be doing laundry about every two weeks. I went with 4 pairs of shorts as well and just washed em in the shower when needed. Do not forget SUNBLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially during move ins.

UH - Gold Bond?

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Bungie cords! They can hold things to the ceiling of the bus above your seat and vastly expand storage possibilities!

Gatorade powder! But ONLY for the bus. Do NOT put that stuff through your horn!

Jewelry wipes! If you play a smaller horn, these things are great for getting rid of those pesky last-minute finger prints!

Socks! You can't EVER have too many socks!

And last but not least...

WORK OUT BEFORE YOU GET ON TOUR OR YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE!

Seriously. I came back for the second half of 2009 and I was not nearly as in shape as I was prior to starting 2007. The whole rest of the season hurt.

Oh, and in addition to not being the guy who ticks constantly, try not to be the know-it-all who has to ask 1000 questions about everything and takes away time from the group. If you need clarifications, there will be time to ask other members or techs. Being the OTHER kind of guy is almost more infuriating than being the tickbox because usually, you just sorta feel bad for the kid who just can't get anything right after a while.

Those cats usually jump ship after a season...And in a lot cases that I saw, go on to march championship or Cinderella-story corps. They must've figured it out and never ever allowed their staffs to talk to the staffs/members of their previous corps. :ph34r:

Resealable plastic bags! Always put anything liquid like shampoo, etc in a ziplock bag. There is nothing quite like opening your bag and finding out that your clothes are covered with goop.

Always shower! I heard a few people say that they liked getting the extra sleep, but, it is not worth receiving a "non-scheduled" cleaning like I saw happen in the day. There is nothing quite as "aromatic" as a fellow corps member who thinks they are the only one who doesn't stink.

Count to ten. There will always be conflicts when there are 150 individuals in close proximity. Every individual will have different tolerances to stress and exhaustion. Grin and bear it!

Cover your head. The pain and discomfort of a sun-seared scalp can really make your days and nights on tour a battle.

Have fun!

• Like 2

... suit yourself

What? I never once needed it. Never had a problem with chafing

• Like 1

From a pit/percussion standpoint:

- 3-5 shirts

- 3-5 shorts, all section shorts if your corps uses those

- all-in-one washer/dryer sheets

- ~1 full set of free day clothes; no one wants to be walking around the sweet parts of Denver in rehearsal clothes

- endless socks

- flip-flops

- shoes that may have to be replaced by a family member mid-season

- some kind of hat with a brim in the front and back but not the sides (to hear clearly)

- sunscreen, SPF 35 did me alright but my skin's pretty tough

- bug spray, but don't expect it to ever work

- athletic tape to wrap blisters that may pop and/or become too painful to play on

For the bus:

- bungie cords, aforementioned

- window cling boxes, even if it's illegal to obscure your windows in many states

- large tupperware box to put munchies in under your seat

- a large (2 gallon) jug that does not spill water easily (NOT Bubba Keg... or any other jug I've tried)... don't be the guy whose water jug is getting everyone's stuff wet

- a moderate amount of entertainment... you won't always feel like talking to other people or watching Jurassic Park 3 that someone decided to put in the DVD player. My first summer, it was books and my DS, and my second summer was my DS and my cellphone [which wasn't even a smartphone].

And take a cue from Zombieland and be very sure to "enjoy the little things." As you'll find out, after tour, the things you remember most are the fun times you had growing closer to your new family and becoming a better person, so never dwell on bad things and take it all in. Also, don't scoremonger, because scores aren't for you to worry about -- as long as you're doing your personal best 24/7 and performing your ### off for the audience, you're doing it right.

Realize that after finals, you're gonna come home in probably the best shape of your life, a sweet tan, a cool member jacket, awesome stories and jokes, and more outgoing, but don't make a huge deal out of it to all your friends. It's easy to become arrogant when you get back, especially at your high school or even college band program. Be humble and only speak about your corps experience when somebody asks.

I think this is some of the best advice in this thread.

Besides all of the aforementioned materials:

if you can, bring two pairs of sneakers - if one gets soaking wet/muddy (and it will), its always nice to have a back-up for later

a throwdown bath rug for your bus seat. better than the cold floor for your feet.

Also, bring a journal or camera. Document your memories, the bad and good! So much happens on tour, its easy to forget some things. Also, some of the times that seem the toughest/suckiest end up being some of your fondest memories of the summer.

oh, and I never needed gold bond either.