Is the end of drum corps near?

but...but...kids want to sit on busses for millions of miles

that's what we get told

The Circus has survived.

But the TRAVELING Circus ?... the ones that used to go from town to towns all across America ?... they've come and gone. Continuing to go coast to coast with their Circus was not a sustainable long term business model that made a lot of financial sense to the Traveling Circuses. So they learned to adapt and " change ".

Edited by BRASSO

Yep... because loads of kids would love to march with their weird uncle.

Lot of kids have been doing it for decades. Mostly because it was a better fit for their lives than spending more $$$$ and not being home for weeks at a time.

But if it's not the DCI WC model. guess it's not right huh?

• Like 1

Drum corps will survive in the form of DCA and SDCA.

DCI I'm not sure sure of unless it is willing to change with the times - not with electronics and meaningless rule changes, but with adaptation to the current economic reality. Smaller corps, smaller tours, more weekend-only to make marching and volunteering viable.

Rule changes that tinker with instrumentation etc have created animosity with long standing fans like myself and are superficial and amateurish attempts to skirt around the real problems. The current model of DCI is broken. Look to DCA and SDCA for lessons and it might survive.

Do the current powers that be have the ability to set their egos aside to do this? Personally I don't think so. They would rather run it into the ground than reverse a few bad decisions.....

The Circus has survived.

But the TRAVELING Circus ?... the ones that used to go from town to towns all across America ?... they've come and gone. Continuing to go coast to coast with their Circus was not a sustainable long term business model that made a lot of financial sense to the Traveling Circuses. So they learned to adapt and " change ".

Lot of kids have been doing it for decades. Mostly because it was a better fit for their lives than spending more $$$$ and not being home for weeks at a time.

But if it's not the DCI WC model. guess it's not right huh?

Bad or otherwise, you cannot undo what has already been done. You cannot turn a table back into a tree, and you cannot call DCI a Major League, produce the quality that it has produced, and then turn it back to a local sandlot type circuit. It either has to maintain the Major League status they have created or die on the vine. By the way, Ringling Brothers & Barnum Bailey Circus (the major league of circus) still travels the world and is doing just fine.

Edited by Stu

Bad or otherwise, you cannot undo what has already been done. You cannot turn a table back into a tree, and you cannot call DCI a Major League, produce the quality that it has produced, and then turn it back to a local sandlot type circuit. It either has to maintain the Major League status they have created or die on the vine. By the way, Ringling Brothers & Barnum Bailey Circus (the major league of circus) still travels the world and is doing just fine.

That wasn't the point of my post. Just pointing out the "kids" have been a big part of the Sr/All-Age word for many years. To sound like no one under 21 would want to be part of the All Age world has been a wrong idea for at least 37 years. (Well that's when I and bunch of other teenagers helped put Westshoremen back on the field.)

Music has survived more recessions and depressions then we can count, more wars then anyone can name, two World Wars and the ever changing tastes of an evolving culture.

Music will be fine. Drum corps has its niche and the show will go on.

That wasn't the point of my post. Just pointing out the "kids" have been a big part of the Sr/All-Age word for many years. To sound like no one under 21 would want to be part of the All Age world has been a wrong idea for at least 37 years. (Well that's when I and bunch of other teenagers helped put Westshoremen back on the field.)

I agree with you that many teenagers have, and will, march all-age corps'. For example it is cool that a parent/child can do something like that together on weekends within DCA. What I was getting at is that particular philosophy will not be able to produce the Major League quality DCI has sought for the past decade unless all-age becomes a full-time every-day massive-tour situation. DCI has morphed into calling itself a Major League, which by the very nature requires the youth to engage in long every-day rehearsals as well as a massive tour schedule that most adults cannot participate. And since DCI has been able to produce a high quality product with the upper end of the WC, that particular organization cannot go back to just a local sandlot type situation. DCI will either have to continue the quest toward Major League or fold (i.e. you cannot turn a table back into a tree).

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Honestly, the future of American orchestras are 'pops' concerts. People in America just don't have the attention span anymore to listen to an hour long symphony. More or less, this is exactly what DCI is. Most shows are arrangements of catchy tunes mashed together to make a 10ish minute production. It caters to a broader audience (music wise). You don't need to know much about music to enjoy a DCI show (which is why the activity will be succcessful for many years to come).

Yep... because loads of kids would love to march with their weird uncle.

yet the membership in DCA gets younger every year. you should actually check it out, so then you wouldn't be speaking incorrectly

• Like 1

except DCI was major league before the current schedule trends were in place. Oh and you had more local corps too.

• Like 1