Is the end of drum corps near?

Well Daniel, we certainly agree on the cheese factor! The problem with all that cheese is that it turns away fans like me. Older, some time and money to spend and a 4 or 5 decade love affair with the activity coming to an end because I'm no longer connected to what's going on out on the field. Yet this is the approach DCI is taking to try to secure its future. A fresh coat of paint won't save a decaying house.

People may have a right to be cheesy etc, but they then have to live with the results of exercising that right.

We disagree on the number of corps at a very fundamental level. This shouldn't be an elitist best-of-the-best activity. Drum corps was strongest when it had a lot of smaller local corps and shows you could easily drive to every week. There was a time, after all, when it really was about the kids. That one-time truth has been relegated to the ash-heap of modern mythology long since. The difference between us Daniel is that I'm advocating more inclusion and you're advocating exclusion to make it an elite sport. I've taught corps and bands where you practically have to show them which end of the stick hits the drum, and it's that level that builds the roots of drum corps more than any other.

More corps = more kids = more local shows = more Moms and Dads going to see little Johnny play his horn every weekend = more sustainable programs = more revenue and a larger fan base for the future. There will always be better corps that out perform the other 90%, but you're trying to build the pyramid from the top, I want to build it from the bottom. It's the only sustainable approach.

Edited by Grandpa
  • Like 1

Just what DCI needs, less shows over the summer so less chances for people to see the corps.

And less spots so less chances for young people to actually march. OK, that makes DCI a business, screw the people working for the business.

Edit: Ahhhh got my first negative vote..... Must be hitting the nerves just right.

that was me by accident! i tried to give you a green vote sorry :doh:

Well Daniel, we certainly agree on the cheese factor! The problem with all that cheese is that it turns away fans like me. Older, some time and money to spend and a 4 or 5 decade love affair with the activity coming to an end because I'm no longer connected to what's going on out on the field. Yet this is the approach DCI is taking to try to secure its future. A fresh coat of paint won't save a decaying house.

People may have a right to be cheesy etc, but they then have to live with the results of exercising that right.

We disagree on the number of corps at a very fundamental level. This shouldn't be an elitist best-of-the-best activity. Drum corps was strongest when it had a lot of smaller local corps and shows you could easily drive to every week. There was a time, after all, when it really was about the kids. That one-time truth has been relegated to the ash-heap of modern mythology long since. The difference between us Daniel is that I'm advocating more inclusion and you're advocating exclusion to make it an elite sport. I've taught corps and bands where you practically have to show them which end of the stick hits the drum, and it's that level that builds the roots of drum corps more than any other.

More corps = more kids = more local shows = more Moms and Dads going to see little Johnny play his horn every weekend = more sustainable programs = more revenue and a larger fan base for the future. There will always be better corps that out perform the other 90%, but you're trying to build the pyramid from the top, I want to build it from the bottom. It's the only sustainable approach.

I agree that there should be a focus on local corps, but i dont thing we should have to sacrafice our top quality corps to do so.

that was me by accident! i tried to give you a green vote sorry :doh:

LMAO... so I'm NOT the only person having a bad day.... No problems Jon...

And my bad day includes getting clipped in the Mall parking lot.... time to spend the afternoon getting an estimate on a new bumper (hoping nothing else). :shutup:

• Like 1

LMAO... so I'm NOT the only person having a bad day.... No problems Jon...

And my bad day includes getting clipped in the Mall parking lot.... time to spend the afternoon getting an estimate on a new bumper (hoping nothing else). :shutup:

Ahhh thats no fun at all, i + voted on another post for ya :thumbup:

40+ years is a hell of a long time. You should be thankful for that much.

The house isn't decaying, it just doesn't look how you remembered it.

Well, "yowza" was a one time thing... while some other corps keep touching a hot stove. It seems the activity is, sadly, not as lactose intolerant as it used to be.

We disagree on the number of corps at a very fundamental level. This shouldn't be an elitist best-of-the-best activity. Drum corps was strongest when it had a lot of smaller local corps and shows you could easily drive to every week. There was a time, after all, when it really was about the kids. That one-time truth has been relegated to the ash-heap of modern mythology long since. The difference between us Daniel is that I'm advocating more inclusion and you're advocating exclusion to make it an elite sport.

Marching band has long taken over drum corps role on a local level. The activity should be a best-of-the-best activity, as that there is really not much other role of this. You can try to start a lot of small community corps around the country, but kids are not that much interested in this these days due to the role marching bands play in their communities.

That said, a model like BD, SCV and the Colts that focuses on developing local community-based corps as a feeder for their national touring organizations make sense. If all corps could afford to do this, it would be a great thing.

As stand-alone small corps focused on kids 16+, doesn't make much sense.

I've taught corps and bands where you practically have to show them which end of the stick hits the drum, and it's that level that builds the roots of drum corps more than any other.

Those days are LONG gone. Those days were gone decades ago. School music programs fill this role more effectively than drum corps can.

A lot of little corps does not mean more kids participating. There were more kids at the breakfast table at my house as a kid than in VK's guard (I am still puzzled by this one).

Fewer corps, more participation, higher quality of experience is the way forward.

Edited by danielray

Just what DCI needs, less shows over the summer so less chances for people to see the corps.

And less spots so less chances for young people to actually march. OK, that makes DCI a business, screw the people working for the business.

Edit: Ahhhh got my first negative vote..... Must be hitting the nerves just right.

That's not true, I've given you plenty of negative votes. It's much cooler to be in the red. ;)

Oh and replace every instance of "less" with "fewer."

Edited by luvs me sum mello!
  • Like 1

Not that this matters much to anyone, but I can tell you that drum corps has lost me as a fan. The shows just don't appeal to me anymore, the ticket prices are outrageous, and the cost of gas is forcing my family to rethink how we spend our money. I haven't been to a show in almost two years, and this seasons reps really don't excite me at all (at least not enough to pay $30 a ticket). And what's more concerning, there are others like me. However, to be fair, I think this could probably be said every year. Fans come and go. I never thought I would see the day where drum corps didn't interest me, but its finally here. I spent a majority of my life connected to this activity in one way shape or form, and can safely say that I really don't care for it anymore.

• Like 1

Not that this matters much to anyone, but I can tell you that drum corps has lost me as a fan. The shows just don't appeal to me anymore, the ticket prices are outrageous, and the cost of gas is forcing my family to rethink how we spend our money. I haven't been to a show in almost two years, and this seasons reps really don't excite me at all (at least not enough to pay $30 a ticket). And what's more concerning, there are others like me. However, to be fair, I think this could probably be said every year. Fans come and go. I never thought I would see the day where drum corps didn't interest me, but its finally here. I spent a majority of my life connected to this activity in one way shape or form, and can safely say that I really don't care for it anymore.

It matters

• Like 1

I haven't been to a show in almost two years, and this seasons reps really don't excite me at all (at least not enough to pay $30 a ticket).

Not all reps have been announced... those that have, there are some things that make you go hmmm.... I think this year might be a bit of a turning point in that regard.

All arts have cycles of trends, I think we are just moving into a trend of programs a bit more accessible... a hint of it started last season, the next few seasons I imagine will go even further in terms of being more accessible to a wider audience, while still remaining challenging for the performer and technically competitive.

We'll see...