Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

I only just realized after reading several posts that the parade is essentially free PR to the finalist corps at the expense of the non-finalist corps. That issue is a separate one. At that point, the season is done and the parade would not be detracting from rehearsal time; you are correct.

The parade is PR for the activity. Anything that can raise awareness of drum corps is good. Maybe—just maybe—someone will decide to go to a show and see one of those corps in the future. Maybe some kid seeing the corps in the parade might decide they would like to look into potential membership.

I keep reading threads about how DCI needs to get the word out to the public about what drum corps is. Well, this parade is an example of DCI being proactive and doing just that. Until we figure out how to get the non-finalist corps on "America's Got Talent," "Dancing with the Stars" or "American Idol," this seems like a good thing for everyone. It's not at anyone's expense.

• Like 2

Well, look at the bright side.. at least DCI would have gotten itself a headline in a newspaper. That's a start.

And that paper would be the National Enquirer.

And that paper would be the National Enquirer.

... or the New York Times.

I think having the corps do PR the week of championships is a great idea. I think every corps entered should do an exhibition during this period. I think the impact of over thirty full uniform standstills in town squares and shopping malls throughout the Indy area would be a great promotion. Each corps could work with DCI and their local hosts to make it effective and convenient for the corps and the community. It would Also allow for a more personal connection to potential audience in a much wider market distribution.

Just a thought.

Edited by dstemet
  • Like 1

Well, look at the bright side.. at least DCI would have gotten itself a headline in a newspaper. That's a start. ( oh, just kiddin'... haha.)

Hey - CNN reported the G7 debacle!

Maybe if we just held championships where they were appreciated to begin with, we wouldn't be having this discussion...the last time Finals were in Madison, DCI got TV coverage AND newspaper coverage from Thursday-Saturday, IIRC. This past year in Rochester, DCA made the TV news. In Indy, they're more concerned with the hog chasing contest at the state fair...at least that's the way it looks from somebody that's been there the last few years.

• Like 1

Aware of that Mike from your earlier post, but post #57 mentioned my initial thoughts.

Fair enough, but I would respectfully like to address the points you raised in that post.

<<"My competitive season is over and you want me to stick around for a parade? I've got band camp, work, etc. to get back to.">>

It's unlikely someone who loves drum corps enough to march in it wouldn't be sticking around for the last show of the season, parade or not. And those who had hopes of being in Finals would already have plane tickets home for no earlier than Sunday, anyhow. So, they're going to be in Indy on Saturday, no matter whether there's a parade or not.

<<"No top 12 will be in it? No thanks.">>

The average citizen DCI wishes to inform about drum corps isn't going to know Blue Devils from bleu cheese. This is a chance to hook them and encourage them to learn more about the activity. I remember reading about someone who first was introduced to drum corps when his parents took him to a parade 22 miles from where he lived. He was so captivated, he begged his father to take him back that night for the drum corps show someone standing next to him on the parade route had mentioned. He went on to make a few contributions to drum corps, which he claims changed his life.

<<Schedule it on Wednesday so all corps can march. And guess what DCI, you and the corps can make more money if more people come a day or two earlier because of the parade.>>

We couldn't even get more people to show up Saturday morning for Open Class Finals when tickets were given away free as part of a package, and those were people who already owned the package and were in town already. I seriously doubt anyone will come to town a day or two early because of a parade.

Oh...that kid I mentioned above was me. The parade and show were at the Momence, Illinois Gladiolus Festival in 1972. Two years later, after transferring to a college in Chicago, I joined The Cavaliers, who won that first show I attended.

Never underestimate the power of a parade. :smile:

did not read the entire thread so forgive me if this was covered...

I love a parade and think its great !!!

I recall a parade around the capital in Madison that was pretty cool too

March the parade and get into finals for free !!! but you have to attend finals in your uniform, will keep you better behaved