Which corps will be performing non-dark shows this year?

For the OP it would make more since to say that he likes those shows that play pop/jazz and rock literature. And that's just based on him saying he likes bd and crown selections because they are "non dark"... Cuz that's what he really likes rather than saying "non dark".

No, I actually like "non-dark" regardless of genre. Quantitative measure: percent of musical content written in a major key tonality.

Of course. I do want to see all of the shows. I just worded it that way because Hroth made it a point to mention that he is specifically looking forward to shows that aren't "dark," and that's just...well...stupid.

I am specifically looking forward to these "non-dark" shows. I'm sure some of the "dark" ones will be good, too, but I'm especially looking forward to the others. Different tastes, I guess.

For the OP it would make more since to say that he likes those shows that play pop/jazz and rock literature. And that's just based on him saying he likes bd and crown selections because they are "non dark"... Cuz that's what he really likes rather than saying "non dark".

Dark certainly is a versatile word.

Perhaps by dark the OP means show themes that are characterized by a "darker" emotional slant ?? Don't know -- just speculating.

• Like 3

Dark certainly is a versatile word.

Perhaps by dark the OP means show themes that are characterized by a "darker" emotional slant ?? Don't know -- just speculating.

Yup.

Classic DCP rhetoric: person A presents an observable distinction, person B counters that that distinction doesn't exist.

• Like 2

No, I actually like "non-dark" regardless of genre. Quantitative measure: percent of musical content written in a major key tonality.

See, this right here is why I can't give your opinion much credit. Major does not equal light.

Ever heard Shostakovich's 5th Symphony? Some of the darkest major chords in music.

And what about the fact that eastern music uses a ton of minor tonality for very happy and light music?

• Like 1

See, this right here is why I can't give your opinion much credit. Major does not equal light.

Ever heard Shostakovich's 5th Symphony? Some of the darkest major chords in music.

And what about the fact that eastern music uses a ton of minor tonality for very happy and light music?

I know very little about music, but I'm pretty sure that's the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

I am specifically looking forward to these "non-dark" shows. I'm sure some of the "dark" ones will be good, too, but I'm especially looking forward to the others. Different tastes, I guess.

Define please, and be specific. That will go a long ways to clearing things up and providing some actual structure to the conversation. It need not be THE definition, just YOUR definition, so at least we have your perspective to base the discussion on. Otherwise its like playing darts with a blindfold on.

I hear you, but I'm not so sure we all here can neccessarily presume to know that he likes " pop/jazz/ rock, etc and not other genres of music. For example, I usually like some of most genres of music. For example, some of the " pop " music is as " esoteric " ( incomprehensible )as it gets.... but I still sometimes like it despite this failing. I find that much of the Classical music needs no explanation. Its appealing levels aspect for me is not the piece itself. It is usually found in the presentation. Sometimes a composer will take a musical piece and use different instrumentation and the appeal of the piece is either enhanced or destroyed for me. For example, the arranger might use the piano in the piece as the major instrumentation. I may like this version of the piece played on the piano, or I may not. Or the arranger may take a piece typically played on the piano and substitute a brass instrumentation sans piano. I may or may not like such a substitution. But the piece did not change fundamentally, the arranger changed it fundamentally. Sometimes the arranger alters the tempo of the piece. Even a small change like this could enhance or alter my enjoyment level of the piece. Again, for me, it's all in the presentation, mostly.

Edited by BRASSO

Define please, and be specific.

Or maybe we should just take what people post at face value. Just providing the two examples made it pretty clear how Hroth was coming up with "dark". And there were follow-ups which made it clear *they* understood him well enough too (even if they disagreed with him).

DCP is turning in a tin-foil-hat asylum.

Perhaps posters should feel free to just post their opinions without having them analysed for some sort of hidden agenda. It's really getting quite ridiculous. Honestly... "What do you really mean when you say 'dark' ?? " It's like walking into a combination birther/ufo abduction/9-11 denier/kennedy assassination/fake-moon-landing convention.

• Like 5