Serious Westshore Question....

I'm in the process of collecting and collating scores from years past - 1924-1979. I've got about 3,000 or so shows already.

Regarding Westshoremen, however, they start out as Westshoremen; then at some point switch to Westshoremen Bonnie Scots; and then back to Westshoremen.

Can someone advise me as to which years they were which - just so my "archive" will be as accurate as possible?

Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of collecting and collating scores from years past - 1924-1979. I've got about 3,000 or so shows already.

Regarding Westshoremen, however, they start out as Westshoremen; then at some point switch to Westshoremen Bonnie Scots; and then back to Westshoremen.

Can someone advise me as to which years they were which - just so my "archive" will be as accurate as possible?

Thanks.

We were the Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots in the years that I marched, which were 1969-1972. When I joined they had been WBS for several years. Maybe Mr. Ream can get the exact years.....hope that helps..

Jim Fawber may also have the answer. I believe in 1974 they legally became "Westshoremen, Inc.", dropping the Bonnie-Scots name for good.

I'm not sure what year the Westshoremen went Senior and then later merged with the Bonnie-Scots. I believe I have in storage at my parents a 1964 corps yearbook which clearly labels the corps as the "Westshoremen- Bonnie Scots."

Another bit of lore passed to me when I marched BITD was that they seriously looked at going the "Bonnie Scots" route with the uniforms and found a Black and blue clan tartan that would have been perfect. The issue was the astronmical cost of a Kilties' style uniform, which the corps couldn't afford.

One thing for certain-- when the corps made DCA finals in 1977, definitely just "Westshoremen"...

Beating Ream on this one....

1946-1952 - Longshoremen - Wormleysburg, PA VFW Post.

Then after winning VFW Nats in LA the Longshoremens Union took "exception" and name changed.

1952-1959 - Westshoremen

1959-1973 - Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots as Westshoremen merged with Bonnie Scots - Millersburg, PA after a parade (neither corps had that many bodies)

1974-now - Westshoremen - dropped the Bonnie Scots part as WSM more "historic" and "we didn't want to play a Scottish tune every show anymore" (quotes I heard from my first year in 1974)

notes

1973 - corps inactive

1974 - supposedly corps was Westshoremen, Inc to show the merger between Westshoremen and Keystone Kavaliers. Mentioned in a few programs but never caught on (thank goodness). After 3 years, think there were 4-5 KK memebrs left anyway. (For BigWs benefit - me, Geiger and bunch of people named Filipelli)

God knows I've seen any combination of the names in the scores I've seen. Gary Matczak said he saw a 74 or 75 show ad with "Westshoremen Bonnie Scots, Inc". Hell think I have a 74 or 75 program that has the crest saying "Bonnie Scots" and its' from our home show. :doh:

Edit: Just say the "went Sr" line and remember that Jr corps pic last year. IIRC, Wormleysburg VFW had a Jr corps pre-WWII that disbanded during the war. After the war, some of the returning vets started the Sr corps. Much like probably any other Sr corps starting ca. 1946.

PS - Andy, starting to collect scores myself via Internet and any source I can find. Also any #### thing I can find pre-WWII. Good luck buddy.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

PS - Andy, starting to collect scores myself via Internet and any source I can find. Also any #### thing I can find pre-WWII. Good luck buddy.

Jim,

I may have mentioned this in another thread, but I started this project back in 1998. I had about five hundred contest results on disks at that point, with a three-foot high mound of stuff to add. My office was broken into and the disks were among the things stolen. Disheartened, I abandoned the project.

About two months ago, I received an unmarked envelope in the mail containing the disks. I've since picked up the project again and am now up to about 3,000 contest results.

When I'm a bit further along, I'll send you the pre-war stuff that I have. Some familiar names... Some not-so-familiar....

Good to hear you recovered the data, Andy. IIRC, the corps cards had the "inc." there, my guess for business and legal purposes. Having it incorporated, IIRC, meant the individuals running the organization were protected from certain legal issues if there were to be a problem.

Speaking of the Flipp-a-penny clan... :worthy:

Never knew Frank or Steve were ever with another corps previous to Westshore, Jim.

My guess is Jamie would have been way too young, and possibly Tina might have been there as well? Man, when I started at 16, Jamie was one of the few people that was MORE of a kid than I was! :cool:

I see Steve off and on, last I knew Tina was married to Greg Lutz, and I haven't seen Jamie or Frank in 30 years. Good peeps all.

All I know is between Ream and Jim, and even me, we'll tell you all we know or try and find out for you, Andy. Just ask. :satisfied:

Thanks.

actually they began as the Longshoremen in 1946. The switch to Westshoremen came in 1952, then Westshoremen Bonnie Scots in 1959, then back to Westshoremen in 1974.

and if you don't believe me, ask Larry. He wouldn't lie :tongue:

edited to 46 to fix my typo

Edited by Jeff Ream

Jim Fawber may also have the answer. I believe in 1974 they legally became "Westshoremen, Inc.", dropping the Bonnie-Scots name for good.

I'm not sure what year the Westshoremen went Senior and then later merged with the Bonnie-Scots. I believe I have in storage at my parents a 1964 corps yearbook which clearly labels the corps as the "Westshoremen- Bonnie Scots."

Another bit of lore passed to me when I marched BITD was that they seriously looked at going the "Bonnie Scots" route with the uniforms and found a Black and blue clan tartan that would have been perfect. The issue was the astronmical cost of a Kilties' style uniform, which the corps couldn't afford.

One thing for certain-- when the corps made DCA finals in 1977, definitely just "Westshoremen"...

actually....the charter is still Westshoremen Bonie Scots, just doing business as the Westshoremen

Good to hear you recovered the data, Andy. IIRC, the corps cards had the "inc." there, my guess for business and legal purposes. Having it incorporated, IIRC, meant the individuals running the organization were protected from certain legal issues if there were to be a problem.

Speaking of the Flipp-a-penny clan... :worthy:

Never knew Frank or Steve were ever with another corps previous to Westshore, Jim.

My guess is Jamie would have been way too young, and possibly Tina might have been there as well? Man, when I started at 16, Jamie was one of the few people that was MORE of a kid than I was! :cool:

I see Steve off and on, last I knew Tina was married to Greg Lutz, and I haven't seen Jamie or Frank in 30 years. Good peeps all.

All I know is between Ream and Jim, and even me, we'll tell you all we know or try and find out for you, Andy. Just ask. :satisfied:

actually, yhe clan started Westshore, went to KK when the corps broke up after 72, then came. I think Steve's first year was 1964. Sadly, I saw the whole clan last at Momma Fillipelli's funeral last year

actually they began as the Longshoremen in 1926. The switch to Westshoremen came in 1952, then Westshoremen Bonnie Scots in 1959, then back to Westshoremen in 1974.

and if you don't believe me, ask Larry. He wouldn't lie :tongue:

Thanks everyone. Just one more little step in making this project as accuate as possible....