Best marching bands in your state

Oh for sure. It blows me away when I'm lucky enough to be able to go watch Grand Nats. The things some programs are capable of getting their students to perform is inspiring.

...I've enjoyed going to see the quarter finals / preliminary event BOA event in the past. There seems to be such variety from top to bottom. I am amazed that some of the groups in the 20-12th place do not do score higher than they do. It's obviously the design.

The DCI corps designs are more similar to one another than the bands. Both are great, but I don't think we can compare them.

So what if we took the best high schools in the activity and compared them to DCA corps? We still have a wide gap in age/experience, but the rehearsal time levels the playing field a bit. Does anyone think the top HS marching bands could hang with DCA corps? Yes, I know this is probably the wrong forum, but since this branches out of a WC discussion I thought it wouldn't be too bad.

The answer to this question varies depending on whether the judging would be by DCA standards, or by the standards of whichever marching band circuit you prefer.

The best marching bands are extremely high quality, but marching band and drum corps to me is still quite different. Marching bands, due to the academic demands of the school day, don't put in nearly the hours that drum corps do, yet they put on programs that are very impressive. Still, what I see from the best bands is so different from drum corps that I never compare them...It just isn't worth the mental anguish. Enjoy bands for what they are and corps for the same reason.

Completely agree.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread but it was in my history that I was browsing so I had to bring it back just to comment on one thing. The following was said to Guardling (who for record and fairness said he/she taught a BOA Champion)...by the following user ("luvs me sum mello!")...

"everyone has an opinion." True. Yours is hilarious.

And I might add, the opinion of obviously a "guard" person. Before you jump on me. I do not say that in a way that means to slam guard people. I will also say that if Guardling really has taught a BOA Champion, I have no doubt about your high caliber of skills as a guard person, and you have my deepest respect.

That said, I do want to touch on a delicate subject. That being, how much both DCI and BOA are judged through the lenz of Color Guard. I've heard my share of judges tapes over the last decade and it's a good thing I have not done one of those drinking games where I had to take a shot for every NON Color Guard tape that spent 60-90% of the time talking about the guard. I'd be in the hospital if I did. I've even heard music tapes where guard comments have slipped in.

This is something that I think needs to change in both elite circuits of Drum Corps and Marching Band (i.e., DCI and BOA). Guard is not the only thing on the field and lately, it appears as though it is.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree agreeably with the vast majority of people replying to this thread. This is the band that won BOA Grand Nationals the last two years...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sgqhMnMMr2Y

I believe that would have beat 12th place on down or at the very least...put up a good fight with the 12th, 13th and 14th place World Class corps. I would not go any higher than that though. As for the question regarding DCA corps, I think not only the finalists but about the top 20 in BOA Grand National Semis would KILL most DCA finalist corps.

I want to serve record that I no longer hold to this same opinion that I had a year ago. I've seen some up close and personal things now myself in the marching band world that tell me no way.

Hmmmmmm.....would need to think for a while on my newest conclusion....(give me some time)

none would even make the semis here in wa state.

Same here in Cali. Not even close.

You might be surprised how many marching bands are now volunteer.

around here, ALL marching bands are extracurricular, have been as long as I can remember ( mid-70's). Rehearsals are evening and weekends. Nothing to do with the curricular concert band programs, in fact, many kids are penalized and don't get the best chairs in the top wind groups because those directors look down on the marching arts. Bands here definitely emulate drum corps, choosing music and themes that have been recently done in DCI, staff is DCI, DCA, but none come close in performance level and artistry.

Just wondering, who are the top high school bands in your state? And if they were to compete in quarterfinals, how do you think they would place against DCI competition?

HA!