18 Corps in Class A at Dca and counting

Yes i have heard this several times over the years....not saying its right or not myself BUT I also think it was also proved with some...Look at some corps that did go to A class that were extremely strong in Open for many years. They could barely survive and could barley get members let alone retain vets.

Maybe thats why Brigs thought it was better just to be remembered as strong then rebuild on that....who knows

I think its a shame that members would walk rather than march class A. I know a couple of peeps that would rather be sidelined or switch corps than stepping down in class. I guess if that's the way you feel it should be respected though. After-all it is your money and your time. Might as well spend it like you see it.

Personally I would much rather be in contention for a championship than chase after 10th place.

I think the 65 number is a good one. If you have less than 65 you do not have adequate field coverage and its hard to hang with the big boys on today's sheets without field coverage.

I'd think hold for a year or go Class A probably depends on the individual circumstances of each corps. And off the top of my head, the circumstances probably involve getting finances together or building them up. And holding up a year might mean just stay away from the competitive field.

Hmmm... on topic.... Year or so back I told someone that the next version of competitive Drum Corps might be smaller corps like it used to be before my time. With outta sight costs, other conflicts, etc, etc Class A might be a vision of the future.

Jeff and All;

When I used the term "Step down". I did NOT mean that Class A was any less in total Quality. I just meant just in Size of Division.

Let's face it Fusion, Gren's, Govies, ETC are pretty darn Good. Well worth the time and money to See and Hear.

I do not like Fusion for the same reasons I do not care for Buc's.

BUT !!!

I can ALSO, see and hear WHY they also win. They are #### GOOD, and could give some Open Class groups in the "Larger Division" a run for the money (or Score).

As I have said in other Posts. When I was able to to to the DCA Championships. I went to Prelims from Start to finish. I wanted to see ALL the different, Sizes, Shapes, Sounds, and Styles that I could. Did I like some better than Others. YES. Did I always agree with Judges. ABSOLUTLY not. I would have prefered the ones "I Liked" be higher".

Did the Skyliners have and/or pass an evaluation yet? I know they had one scheduled, but there haven't been any announcements...

Also, Sixth Street Regiment and Lakeshoremen had both announced at one time they would be competing this year, but I haven't heard much from them since. Anyone have any updates on them?

When I was able to to to the DCA Championships. I went to Prelims from Start to finish. I wanted to see ALL the different, Sizes, Shapes, Sounds, and Styles that I could. Did I like some better than Others. YES. Did I always agree with Judges. ABSOLUTLY not. I would have prefered the ones "I Liked" be higher".

And that is what being a drum corps fan is all about, to me!!! :thumbup:

In 2000, we went to the DCI Quarterfinals in College Park... there were a few corps neither Barbara nor I really cared for, but it was cool to see that entire show from start to finish, and to see our favorites...and at least a couple of corps we had never seen before in person.

Plus, I remember it was a great deal for the money... the tickets were something like 20-25 dollars each (prices are higher now, but hey... prices are higher everywhere), and there were something like 23-24 corps in the show. A bargain!

I can see a lot of people on here view going into class A as understandable decision for a struggling open class corps. I know I agree, but I have heard of many people who refuse to march an A class corps. If their corps goes class A they have made it very public that they will leave for another open class corps. I mean I understand the desire to march in a 60 man hornline, or with 10 snares but I was surprised at hearing this from multiple open class corps.

I guess my question here is has anyone else heard/seen this in the open class ranks? Does this effect an already struggling corps' decision to stay in open class because they know some/a lot of their members will only march open class?

I've heard of it.

it's society today. it's all about bigger and better

I can see a lot of people on here view going into class A as understandable decision for a struggling open class corps. I know I agree, but I have heard of many people who refuse to march an A class corps. If their corps goes class A they have made it very public that they will leave for another open class corps. I mean I understand the desire to march in a 60 man hornline, or with 10 snares but I was surprised at hearing this from multiple open class corps.

I guess my question here is has anyone else heard/seen this in the open class ranks? Does this effect an already struggling corps' decision to stay in open class because they know some/a lot of their members will only march open class?

I'll add.....people say "oh if the corps doesn't compete, I'll do parades etc".

then they don't show, because people hate parades more than Class A.

And that is what being a drum corps fan is all about, to me!!! :thumbup:

In 2000, we went to the DCI Quarterfinals in College Park... there were a few corps neither Barbara nor I really cared for, but it was cool to see that entire show from start to finish, and to see our favorites...and at least a couple of corps we had never seen before in person.

Plus, I remember it was a great deal for the money... the tickets were something like 20-25 dollars each (prices are higher now, but hey... prices are higher everywhere), and there were something like 23-24 corps in the show. A bargain!

if at all possible, I too get there to see every show. I also saw every DCI corps in Indy at least once last year.

For the last two years I got to prelims to see everyone. For some reason Saturday at Championship is always hard for me to get up. But I wanted to see the Class "A". The competition was great. All the corps entertained, there is nothing that being Class "A" is embarrassing.

I couldn't agree more with your comments ,when i went to DCA preliums i went from start to finish .Some great shows in class A ,but every corps puts out the best they have that day ,and isn't that what its all about .Now having moved to Florida from eastern Long Island i'll miss seeing my excorps back on the field this year ,they made the move back to Long Island and from what i hear its begining to pay off.Give them time to grow and they will be back in open class .Wishing them the BEST this season .Im an older vet having marched Saint Cathrines ,QUEENSMEN for 4years and SUNRISERS 63,64,65,66,67,68 74 ,80thur 83 and back to help in 2007 .I hope to catch the 2 DCA shows here and the DCI show in Orlando

Proud EXSUNRISER Charles Cook [aka Chuck]

Edited by Florida Sun