Dr. Beat Alternatives

There is no "bury the head in the sand" approach. I just find it hard to believe that a metronome is as big of a problem as some of you are making it.

You didn't hear that the sky is falling? In an ironic twist of fate, the met will kill drum corps as we know it!

-____-

I can't wait for the season to start...

• Like 1

There is no "bury the head in the sand" approach. I just find it hard to believe that a metronome is as big of a problem as some of you are making it.

I've seen MANY instances of noise being a problem for neighbors at school sites. The metronome is just another noise problem for them.

I'm surprised that you haven't witness many of these instances in the past.

Edited by jjeffeory

You're right. Just some of us at the high school and DCI level telling you it's happening more and more, but what do we know?

• Like 1

You're right. Just some of us at the high school and DCI level telling you it's happening more and more, but what do we know?

Oh yeah I guess I should be taking your word for it huh? :rolleyes:

My apologies for not being so easily-convinced.

I've seen MANY instances of noise being a problem for neighbors at school sites. The metronome is just another noise problem for them.

I'm surprised that you haven't witness many of these instances in the past.

I'm not. I've heard of corps losing their housing sites for other reasons, but certainly not the met primarily.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Jeff Ream, on 24 May 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

I think the more pertinent verbiage of Jeff's statement is something like,

Just some of us who have had issues telling you that it's a wide-spread problem and not just some of us at the HS and DCI level having the issues.

As per the norm on DCP (internet), a few people who have possibly had legit problems in the past are saying that based on their experience there MUST be some type of wide-spread problem. Corps are saying they're having housing issues right?! HAS to be met-related.

:rolleyes:

I've heard of corps losing their housing sites for other reasons, but certainly not the met primarily.

As have we all. I think it's been rehashed in this thread already as to the myriad of other reasons unrelated to (or at least pretty far removed from) the metronome.

As a truck driver for a top 10 corps, I can tell you that the most annoying thing to have to listen to is the percussion.

Don't get me wrong - I love drum corps!

But when driving at night and then pulling the equipment trailer as close to the field as I can, then unhooking from the trailer, and I go find a nice quiet corner to sleep in - doesn't matter if I can get 100ft away for 600ft away, it was still the percussion who woke me up.

The brass isn't really all that loud when you're not in front of it - the bells face one way - but percussion, and the Dr. Beat, the sound goes everywhere.

After a couple of weeks, I got used to it, and was able to sleep 7 or 8 hours at a time. And I think what really woke me up the most was the front ensemble - they always seemed to have chosen a place by my truck to rehearse.

But hey - when given the choice between an alarm clock and a few marimbas to wake me up, I choose the marimbas :-D

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

I'm not. I've heard of corps losing their housing sites for other reasons, but certainly not the met primarily.

And you've had staffers say the same thing in this thread. But what do we know?

And you've had staffers say the same thing in this thread. But what do we know?

I still don't believe it. Sorry.

• Like 1

Ah, well ok. I've also seen it as an add-on to other complaints where corps lost their housing for one reason PLUS that darned met!

Let's just say using the metronome isn't a NON-issue for sure.