DCI (and WGI) Should not be seeking Chase Community Giving Votes!

agree................if you said it was going directly maybe into a schlorship fund ( DCI OR WGI ) that would be cool but maybe to fund another bogus programs mainly keeping some of the usuals in power just to justify their continous exsistance I will vote directly for a corps or corps. JMO

If you get it WGI or DCI do something good and spread it through all the corps ( guards , drumlines) and shock everyone.

DCI has laid out what they want to do to an extent, but there is more to their plan. The problem is, Chase wants to keep the promos short. But I'm pretty sure DCI wants to do a lot with theirs if they win to not only stabilize now, but help for thei future as well. And I'm all for old recordings being updated and proper licensing secured so everyone can have access to them.

If you actually took the time to read WGI's "big idea" and watch their video, you would see that they are using the money to:

-Lower fees for competing units

-Develop percussion and color guard clinics in new locations

-Create outreach programs for students in impoverished areas

-Create a instructor certification program

-Formalize a curriculum for schools who wish to start new programs

Those sound like pretty good goals to me.

I'm an alumni, parent, director and fan of drum corps, winter guard and indoor percussion activities. I love going to shows and have been willingly shelling the big bucks to go to them for some years now. So, now when I see DCI (and WGI) begging for votes for the Chase Community Giving cause, I can't help but wonder why either of those organizations think they need to try and grab a piece of that pie??? It's my opinion that they bring in enough money with their ticket prices, fan network etc. But the bigger thing that bothers me is that when people vote for DCI (or WGI) they are taking votes from those that really need them...the drum corps that can barely make it down the road with the rising costs of fielding competitive drum corps. Just my two cents worth...

wow, that's a lot of neg rep.

If you actually took the time to read WGI's "big idea" and watch their video, you would see that they are using the money to:

-Lower fees for competing units

-Develop percussion and color guard clinics in new locations

-Create outreach programs for students in impoverished areas

-Create a instructor certification program

-Formalize a curriculum for schools who wish to start new programs

Those sound like pretty good goals to me.

I appreciate that WGI has offered a level of specifics that one can identify with and seem very practical and capable of making a difference.

• Like 1

I appreciate that WGI has offered a level of specifics that one can identify with and seem very practical and capable of making a difference.

I agree , specifics are good, I have my doubts knowing all the players up close and personal how non self serving it would be and not forget who the true people who should be served. JMO

The way I look at is who deserves the money more. Groups that cater to a higher income bracket or groups that support the poor or communities. How people would vote for thier local fire department? How many have donated to thier local fire department? How about that group that helps battered women, abused kids, has programs to help kids in school?

I marched in drum corps and didn't see one hungry kid. Most went to nice schools. If you have to fly, drive for more then 6 hours do you reqally need donations more then the kid that has 2nd hand clothes or parents that can't pay the bills.

There so many levels in giving and needing. I do see fire companies that don't need money (mine) but some that do. We all know some groups get more donatations then others. But taking away money from more deserving organizations is irrehensible.

The only thing I'm not wild about is this, which you must agree with before you can vote...

"Access my basic information

Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone."

What are they going to do with this information? I already receive (at least) weekly e-mail spam from Chase via 3rd party advertisers.

Edited by bdon15

OP, I see your reasoning there. I too want new corps and smaller corps to get established- I have even tried to help bring back one.

But just to add an alternative view to what you are saying- From what I have seen in videos and emails I have received, the Cadets and BD are trying to get votes to do something much bigger than the normal DCI tour.

Both have been very open to these causes. When I tuned into the BD broadcast last night- I was expecting to see the hornline playing "House is not a Home"- kinda of a camp preview thing....Instead I got a pleasant surprise from Dave Gibbs and members about how they are helping a cause in South Africa. I thought it was incredible- voted right then.

The Cadets had a similiar broadcasts a few Sundays ago-Since that time, I have received some very informative info and video in email about what their goals are with the money they could win. Hopkins has been open that its not really the Cadets or Cadets2- but more about an initiative to help music programs in schools.

The subject of grant writing, as I understand it, is to state exactly what you would use the money for, should you receive it. As the "philanthropist" in this case- as my vote counts- I am seeing a lot of what they will do with it. Its been very impressive to me.

If anything I am very impressed on how the e two corps have been so transparent about what they are trying to do should they get the votes. But ultimately, I would "third" that opinion that was given above from the Blue Stars. It helps everyone- and probably then some.

OP, if you haven't seen what it is that they are doing, check out the BD, and YEA websites- I think they have done a great job in explaining it.

BTW...just got a letter from DCI endorsed by Mark Arnold and Dan Acheson. Thats probably available on the DCI website too...

I agree. The work that these corps are looking to do to both better their community (as Cadets are doing) or around the world (as BD is doing) are awesome. I applaud those and other organizations who are trying to better communities using their tried/true skills and resources.

I suspect that people who are opposed to DCI and/or corps like Cadets or BD going for the money are people who are either a) not a fan of those corps, or b) haven't read the literature/watched the videos to see exactly what the corps are planning. It's not about "give us money to help us get down the road this summer," it's bigger than that, and definitely more community-oriented.