Accutane and Drum Corps

My son just started an Accutane regimen and he texted me from weekend camp that he is not sure it is a good idea during drum corps season. He is really having trouble with chapped lips, dry mouth, and even skin pain. Does anyone have any experience with this and any advice? I'm thinking delaying this till season is over.

My recommendation is for him to call and speak to the practitioner who prescribed him the meds.

• Like 1

I know a person who started accutane in January and marched the season. But if he just started that means he hasn't finished getting through the initial effects of it which means it'll be worse for him until his body recovers.

Honestly, it's impossible to keep your body clean while on tour. With the added hassle of having that sensitive skin all summer. I would just say postpone starting until August. It's not worth the hassle.

If he insists on keeping some sort of regimen going, try talking to the doctor about medications that won't leave him as sensitive to the sun. There may be an unexplored alternative that can be used.

taking accutane with huge amounts of time in the sun is a terrible idea. Sun+Accutate=TOXIC.

please tell your son to stop taking it right now, and talk to the prescribing dr who will tell you the same thing.

I am taking a similar drug called Soriatane for psoriasis. It makes my lips very dry and chapped - I've been taking the drug for close to 2 months and that particular side effect is not going away. I play trombone, but I'm not in a situation where I have to play everyday which is good because my lower lip is in pretty bad shape. I don't think I could do drum corps with my lips this bad.

Additionally, that class of drug makes one very photosensitive - was his doctor aware that he would be spending as much time in the sun as he will be? He needs to make sure that he is putting on lots of sunscreen with at least a 30SPF.

I am not a medical professional nor may this be construed as medical advice, but if it were me, I think I would hold off on the accutane until after the summer.

taking accutane with huge amounts of time in the sun is a terrible idea. Sun+Accutate=TOXIC.

please tell your son to stop taking it right now, and talk to the prescribing dr who will tell you the same thing.

This exactly. The acne might go away, but the damaged caused to his skin will be another matter entirely. Not a good idea at all.

I was on accutane one of my seasons with Surf and it was HORRIBLE. Even with being in the sun for just the weekends I was so sunburned even with sunscreen. I'd recommend to stop taking it.

I was on it for quite a while and it's not recommended to be taken while out in the sun (it's on the warnings label). In addition, if this is his first regimen of Accutane, he's supposed to have blood work done once a month to make sure it's not destroying his liver. I had a lipo-panel done on that schedule my first go 'round. The stuff's lethal, but works.

I just saw one of those ambulance-chaser attorney commercials on TV trolling that if you took Accutane and contracted crone's disease to call them. "Juries have awarded hundreds of millions of dollars in claims..." I can't imagine any kids acne being bad enough to risk contracting crone's. Had a good friend who died of it at 37. Nasty, nasty disease.

I don't know anything about the drug other than the attorneys are fishing for clients who took it. That's enough for me to keep my kids away from it.