The "Chase Fatigue" cool-down thread

Heh.

Okay, let's try it again. :tongue:

This isn't a place to push Chase; we've got plenty of threads for that. It's more about if you had the dollars yourself: what would you do to help drum corps?

Start a corps?

Donate it all to a circuit?

Give it a specific corps?

Seed several different startups?

Donate it contingent on a corps dropping amps/adding guitars/etc?

Donate it contingent on a corps playing a certain chart/encore tune?

etc . . .

I kinda like DCI's plan myself.

and I'd set limits on spam

• Like 1

How much did Jeff pay to get his name on that guitar?

$1

• Like 1

I should really p-shop that out before he sees it :-)

too late

• Like 1

It's Finally over!

don't tease

• Like 1

I'd start a corps in Detroit that catered to inner city kids. Super low fees with lots of fundraising. Camps only on weekends and only going to competitions within 3 hours as to take school buses instead of charters.

And we'd mix up the musical stylings like CRAZY. They pick a piece, I pick a piece. Our show would go from Mahler to Lil' Wayne, back to back!

1 or 2 tractor trailer combos won't cost $50k....a brand new truck by itself would run 100-120k...not counting the trailer, which would be about 25k brand new. Of course you could buy used, then you're looking at about $150k for 2 used trucks and trailers. But I still really like that idea.

I meant one or two trailers, no tractors. And they would be used. Get donations to fill the trailers (free), throw some money at graphics and a tent for the parking lot. The "museum" would untilize the truck, open space and the tent. Maybe a few interative or video displays. Rent the trucks to pull the trailers, trailers would mainly be for storage 95% of the year. With the volunteer spirit of DCI alums I GURANTEE you could launch this idea fo 50K and have money left over to fund it for several seasons.

I meant one or two trailers, no tractors. And they would be used. Get donations to fill the trailers (free), throw some money at graphics and a tent for the parking lot. The "museum" would untilize the truck, open space and the tent. Maybe a few interative or video displays. Rent the trucks to pull the trailers, trailers would mainly be for storage 95% of the year. With the volunteer spirit of DCI alums I GURANTEE you could launch this idea fo 50K and have money left over to fund it for several seasons.

Where do I vote for you next year in the Chase deal ?

I'd be tempted to put it all in a trust in interest bearing accounts, with the provision the principle could not be touched. The interest would go each year towards helping out corps members who are in a degreed program to become instrumental music educators AND who can prove a severe financial hardship in paying for college if they were to continue marching their final years.

That way we can help keep in the activity some of our brightest prospects who will one day be teaching future instrumentalists about drum corps and encouraging them to join a corps.

Darn it, that's pretty much what I was going to say.

I'm years past wanting to start my own corps, I've pretty much recognized that trying to dictate the direction of the activity by throwing around political might would consume anyone in the end. Change things with money alone? It's gonna take more money than this to do that.

Nope - the solution would be in some sort of scholarship fund subsidizing corps fees for quality kids who otherwise would not have the chance to do it. Simple as that.