Best Sound?

I don't think any staff would completely invert the pyrimid. The fact of the matter is, some arrangements call for heavy top or heavy bottom. It just so happens to be that the staff at BD tend to lean towards the top heavy. So Instead of having very little or no bottom, the pyrimid just has a very big top and bottom!

Which might look a little something like this:

TRUMPET

..MELLOS

BARI/EUPH

TUBAS

The low brass sections of BD, Cavies and any other corps who's been thrown under the bus for being in a line that is "top heavy" would have something to say about those statements! They are some amazing musicians and play exactly how they are told/taught to play on the field in their respective show! Variety makes this world of drums, horns and flags thrive! I'll take 80 different sounding hornlines over 20 similar sounding horn lines any day!

Edited by DcFr3aK

i completely disagree with thinking that the traditional "concert pyramid" of sound is always good for marching ensembles.

a lot of what makes for a well-balanced sound on the field depends on the repertoire and arrangement in any given year by any given corps (or any outdoor marching ensemble for that matter).

Edited by Lance

The low brass sections of BD, Cavies and any other corps who's been thrown under the bus for being in a line that is "top heavy" would have something to say about those statements!

They can be angry if they want to be, but no one can deny that different corps have different characteristics, not just in sound. People join corps because that corps characteristics draw them there, so if you are a tuba player that goes to a traditionally "top heavy" corps, and you dont like it when people call it that, thats not our fault. Now i could understand if you are a tuba player that goes someplace that goes by the traditional triangle of sound and for what ever reason, the staff changes it a specific year to be top heavy, then you can complain i suppose. Just my opinion.

Edited by TubaJon

along thses lines, can anybody find the caption description for music. I'm wondering what criteria the judges use when determining "good" sound. @gen. tsoschicken, what reasoning did they give for not applying the pyramid concept for sound? This issue with not having the bottom filled out is that it makes the music sound much thinner and less supported. But if thats what you're going for then there you go. And to say that the low brass players for BD, Cavies, etc would be unhappy for posting about a lack of low sound is hilarious. Not everyone can be happy I guess and maybe the BD contra line enjoyed not playing half the show last year. :/

Ever since I can remember, Phantom Regiment has had an outstanding sound. However, Carolina Crown has developed an exceptional sound these last couple of years. Then, there's the Madison Scouts, who have always had an "in your face" kind of sound. And the Blue Stars 2010 horn line: WOW. It's a tough call.

And the Blue Stars 2010 horn line: WOW. It's a tough call.

Just wait! I was able to go to the premiere at Marion last night! The Blue Stars 2011 horn line is off to an amazing start!!!

along thses lines, can anybody find the caption description for music. I'm wondering what criteria the judges use when determining "good" sound. @gen. tsoschicken, what reasoning did they give for not applying the pyramid concept for sound? This issue with not having the bottom filled out is that it makes the music sound much thinner and less supported. But if thats what you're going for then there you go. And to say that the low brass players for BD, Cavies, etc would be unhappy for posting about a lack of low sound is hilarious. Not everyone can be happy I guess and maybe the BD contra line enjoyed not playing half the show last year. :/

actually should be more of an hour glass than a pyramid (in most situations), yes you want a good low sound. But it is the middle voices that will make ensembles sound muddy if there is too much.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

actually should be more of an hour glass than a pyramid (in most situations), yes you want a good low sound. But it is the middle voices that will make ensembles sound muddy if there is too much.

I have never in my 5 years of college as a music ed major heard that. please elaborate.