Troop2011

Saw them Sunday and will see them again later this week

Was really impressed by their horn line, seemed to be their strength

Nice show

2 quick comments or things to improve – the drumline got lost in the drill, need to see them more and either lose the road or figure out how to set it up more quickly

Guards uniforms looked good

I would not be surprised to see Troop in finals this year but there is still a lot left to this season

good luck

Tradition is only strong if you are continually evolving and adding to it. I also feel that it cannot be allowed to be a weight to carry that inhibits you from being excellent now.

I simply think we ( myself included as an alumni) need to let these Troopers blaze new trails and live up to that tradition of excellence in their own way. Their effort and dedication day in and day out is how they honor the long blue line, regardless if they have a yellow scarf or yellow collar.

I'm sorry to object to your reasoning because tradition by it's very nature is something that does not evolve. If what you do is create a change then what you are doing is starting a new tradition.

For example, if our tradition for Thanksgiving is to have turkey and instead we have a goose then we are not upholding our tradition. One could argue that the tradition is that we have a meal together on thanksgiving and it doesn't matter what you eat. That's fine, but you would be carrying on that broader tradition, but you can't say at that point that you are having your traditional turkey meal.

Traditions are values, customs, beliefs, etc. that are passed from one generation to the next. If they are in fact evolving and changing then your are not passing down traditions.

If, for example, the Troopers ditched their corps song and adopted "We Will Rock You" to sing before shows, this would be a new tradition, not an evolving one. If they donned skin tight body suits with gold sequin cross sabers on the chest, this is a new tradition, not an evolving one.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion about the value of their changes, but I am saying that you can't have your cake and eat it too when it comes to tradition. Just admit that the corps cares more about their score than they do about their traditional uniforms.

If they donned skin tight body suits with gold sequin cross sabers on the chest, this is a new tradition, not an evolving one.

Like this? :devil:

03_10_2010_crossmen88.jpg

• Like 1

Finally watched the Troopers show on the Fan Network. Sounds great. I knew about the "infinity chord" but watching it, even in a pixellated mess, was awesome. Also, amazing bari solo. I wish more corps would give their talented brass members a chance to shine in that way during transitional segments, rather than relegating those types of parts to the synth player. COUGHbluestarsCOUGH

Keep up the great work, Troopers! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Like this? :devil:

03_10_2010_crossmen88.jpg

Exactly!

So if the Troopers evolved to a uniform like that in say 5 years, how do you think Trooper alumni would feel about it?

Exactly!

So if the Troopers evolved to a uniform like that in say 5 years, how do you think Trooper alumni would feel about it?

I'd say "hey, why are we dressing like the Crossmen?" :tongue:

But to be serious, I'm fairly certain that the conversations around the uniforms have included ideas of how to respect the history as well as push forward for a new generation. The yellow collar was part of of that, I suspect. The drop sash feels that way to me as well. I am sorry that some alumni are struggling with the new uniform. And I do think it is possible that the uniform can eventually make its way back to something that looks more "traditional".

Edited by TerriTroop

I'd say "hey, why are we dressing like the Crossmen?" :tongue:

But to be serious, I'm fairly certain that the conversations around the uniforms have included ideas of how to respect the history as well as push forward for a new generation. The yellow collar was part of of that, I suspect. The drop sash feels that way to me as well. I am sorry that some alumni are struggling with the new uniform. And I do think it is possible that the uniform can eventually make its way back to something that looks more "traditional".

Thanks Terri. I know that much of this is subjective, but I'm just curious at what point you would be "put off" by changes to the uniform or to other identifying forms (eg. The name, the location, etc.)? Would there be a line in your mind that shouldn't be crossed? Or...perhaps, the uniform is entirely irrelevant.

Please don't think that I'm chewing my nails and fretting over this. I just think it's a very interesting discussion as I learn how people think about tradition.

Edited by Granny Smith

On the uniform: The uniform is a huge improvement from the previous season. After seeing, and then eventually wearing the 2010 uniform (and then putting that silly buckle thing on for the first half of the season) I really didn't understand the "hype" in the uniform. Up close, it looked cool, but from far away (which is what realy matters) it looked like a dark mess.

The 2011 uniform is an improvement, and the golf helps the eyes from up top. Traditional from their previous 09' and beyond uniforms? No, but like someone said in a previous post said, the uniform shouldn't be what defines tradition. However, most people can only connect with different corps through their uniforms, because they refuse or are oblivious to find out what ideals and values the corps holds inside. That, is sad to me. But, I'll let you know that the Troopers have the best traditional values than any corps DCI! Anyway, I like the uniform, and I wish I could wear it.

On the 2011 show: I really really enjoy the show, and so do the members, which I believe if the members can connect with the show, then the audience can just as easily connect with both the show, and the performing members.

The 1st half of the show needs to be beefed up a bit I think to work. I find the crowd is a little bored with this part of the performance. I think that the 1st big loud hit is right in the first 30 seconds of the show, and the next hit after that is maybe 2 and a half minutes. That is a REALLY long time. I feel like that hurts their GE score, and the design part of their scores.

2nd half of the show (Ballad and beyond) is great, and I think it's the part of the show the people really enjoy! The 2011 Troopers play very well. They are definitely one of the most musical groups in DCI this season. (I will compare them to the top corps if you dare me.) I think they just need to sound more powerful...not loud, but powerful, so that their presence is better known to the crowd. Also, they've been hit hard in the Visual scores (The Muncie show, and the show after they were NAILED in Vis. scores. Teal Sound beat them in that catagory) It's not that there "sets" are hitting, it's the counts between them that hurts their score. However, once the other captions (Feet scores, and Color guard) get thrown into the mix, it should boost their score more, rather than hurt them.

The Ultimate Question: Will they make Finals???

As of the June 28th scores, Spirit is hitting the scores higher than normal and seems to be in the 12th place spot. Troop are gaining on the Glass-people but they haven't overtook them head-to-head yet. It's hard to tell right now. They'll have to rock out on the regionals, and the shows where the corps around them in the standings are there. But the chances are better than last season.

" No, but like someone said in a previous post said, the uniform shouldn't be what defines tradition. However, most people can only connect with different corps through their uniforms, because they refuse or are oblivious to find out what ideals and values the corps holds inside. That, is sad to me. But, I'll let you know that the Troopers have the best traditional values than any corps DCI! Anyway, I like the uniform, and I wish I could wear it."

I agree 100% on the uniform comment.

AND I am extremely excited to see that they hit 70 tonight. Keep at it Troop!

• Like 1

I can't wait to see form what I can tell is an awesome show once if comes to San Antonio! The new uniforms look amazing!

I hate that I can't march it this year. :[ MISS YOU TROOP! You have no idea. Ugh, I had the chance... should have taken it. Just ditched school and gone for it...

Oh well, they're kicking some ### without me. I wonder if they still have that hole open...